counter shaft sprocket ( seal)

7 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted December 14, 2008 - 11:43 AM

ok well this is the 2nd time i had to do this seal behind the sprocket on my 06450 and from what i remember it was a pain the :thumbsup:. now i dident replace the collar last time but i would like to do it this time.

so is there a easy way to replace the seal and collar? anytools needed? what tools

thanks guys

• meyer fire

Posted December 14, 2008 - 01:00 PM

No special tools needed! But if this is your 2nd time you might want to buy a new flat washer that holds the bolt at your counter sprocket.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 14, 2008 - 08:51 PM

No special tools needed! But if this is your 2nd time you might want to buy a new flat washer that holds the bolt at your counter sprocket.

alright cool.. one more dumb? how do i take the collar off.

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2008 - 05:56 AM

Bump the output shaft inward with a mallet or a hammer handle to break the adhesion between the collar and the O-ring on the shaft. Then grab it with a pair of Channel Locks and wiggle/twist it off.

Replace the O-ring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted December 15, 2008 - 08:37 AM

Bump the output shaft inward with a mallet or a hammer handle to break the adhesion between the collar and the O-ring on the shaft. Then grab it with a pair of Channel Locks and wiggle/twist it off.

Replace the O-ring.

thanks would that be the same way for putting it back in?

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2008 - 08:14 PM

thanks would that be the same way for putting it back in?

No, something of the opposite, actually. Lube the inside of the collar so it slips over the O-ring more easily, and push it in place by hand as you pull the shaft toward you. Then install the seal just above flush, making sure that you keep it square with the bore.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 15, 2008 - 08:36 PM

thanks sounds good :thumbsup:

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 16, 2008 - 03:02 PM

well i got it off. i used a pair of channel locks and put the bike in gear and just started to twist it off.. i also could see that the collar was worn out by the grove the seal left in it..

thanks grayracer :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.