Questions about Scott's stabilizer?

10 replies to this topic
  • nickeenoo

Posted December 14, 2008 - 06:46 AM

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a Scott's stabilizer sometime soon and have a few questions. 1) I remember reading that the mounting hardware was different for 07, 08, and 09? Which hardware is the best and why? 2) I am 6'00" and already have the Windham bend Pro Tapers on my 07 YZ; will going with the SUB mount kit raise the bars too high? Also, for those with the SUB mount kit, is there any additional flex or loose feeling with the bars being mounted higher? I'm just looking for pros and cons of the normal and SUB setup.

Thanks,

Nate

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2008 - 08:00 AM

1) The '06 frame mounting hardware is what I have, and it works alright; no problems when mounted correctly. It has a tang extending from the back of the pin bracket that bolts under the front tank mount, then clamps to the steering head. The '07 uses this same system, but the '08 cannot because there is no way to make the clamp stay clamped. So the '08 mount has the same tank tang, but is held down on the frame using a small bearing and a modified head bearing ring nut. It's a very slick setup, and I don't know why you could not use it on an '06 or '07. Then again, it simply may not fit right because of the tang offset and the differences in the early/late frames. See the pictures here:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

2) The sub mount raises the bars about an inch (25mm), so I would guess that would make the Windham bend too high for you. You could use the original bars and have them come out at about the same height, but I recommend that you ask Scotts to move the bar position forward from stock by 10-15mm, as this is one of the things you like about the Windhams, possibly without realizing it.

As far as flex, I doubt you'll see any, since the mount is pretty robust, and bolts up solidly.

BTW, I use the standard mount on mine and I have no problems with that.

• nickeenoo

Posted December 14, 2008 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Gray,

How would Scott's move the bar position forward and would it cost any extra?

Nate

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2008 - 02:22 PM

They would move the bar position by boring the holes for the bars in an other than standard location. You'd need to call them to discuss pricing, etc.

• MotoXT

Posted December 14, 2008 - 07:08 PM

I've got the lower mount (above the front fender) and it works great. Putting under the bars is more work and changes the bar height, as Gray notes above. Some of the sub mounts do have flex, depending on the model of bike, but with the new design shown above I doubt it would be an issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:00 PM

I have an 07 with the sub mount unit on 24mm Applied triple clamps. I am running the stock bars and am 6'00". There is no flex and it feels solid. It does raise the bars about 7/8" higher which I am comfortable with or the equivalent of about 10mm higher than the Windham bend. If I was to do it over again then I might go with the standard top mount which provides more flexibility with handlebar slection.

• nickeenoo

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably end up with the standard mount.

Nate

• salasmauricio

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:37 AM

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a Scott's stabilizer sometime soon and have a few questions. 1) I remember reading that the mounting hardware was different for 07, 08, and 09? Which hardware is the best and why? 2) I am 6'00" and already have the Windham bend Pro Tapers on my 07 YZ; will going with the SUB mount kit raise the bars too high? Also, for those with the SUB mount kit, is there any additional flex or loose feeling with the bars being mounted higher? I'm just looking for pros and cons of the normal and SUB setup.

Thanks,

Nate

1. I have an 08 YZ450, first I installed the bolt on kit above the bar and it was good, but a month ago I installed the new sub mount kit (the one that gray posted above), and the bike feels way better, the handling improved a lot and I'm only 5'10", you'll be fine at 6'. By the way I use the Reed bend, but then again you're 2 inches higher.
So for me there's absolutely no additional flex or loose feeling with the bars being mounted higher.
Somehow I feel safer knowing that the pad is protecting me a bit from a direct hit.
Hope this helps

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:45 AM

The frame pin bracket I posted a picture of is not specific to the SUB mount, but is used in either the SUB or standard configurations.

• SUnruh

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:50 AM

richard,
the tag easily comes off (with a 4" air grinder) and can be re-welded to fit the 06-07 i would imagine. heck, i had to do that on my 06 with the 06 stay.

that built in nut looks very nice.

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2008 - 08:09 PM

that built in nut looks very nice.

One of the cool, undisclosed features of this gizmo is that it helps keep water out of the head bearings. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.