01 426 Problem

5 replies to this topic
  • 01Yamaha426

Posted December 13, 2008 - 10:13 PM

I just bought a 426 and it won't hold coolant. I see the leak and its underneath the water pump on the side of the crankcase. It's coming from a hole thats supposed to be there and came from the factory that way but I'm guessing theres supposed to be a bolt or rubber stopper or something to go in there. If anybody can help me out with what i should do or where to get this part i'd appreciate it. I already looked on the internet at some exploded pictures of it and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

• DeeCee

Posted December 14, 2008 - 04:04 AM

The hole you refer to is a weep hole and the fact that coolant is leaking from it shows your water pump seal(s) have gone. The hole is there to let the rider know there is a problem.

Check the posts on this forum for changing the water pump seals, some good advice there.

• 642MX

Posted December 14, 2008 - 07:59 AM

DeeCee is right. Its the water pump leaking thru the weep hole. You'll need new seals, bearing and probably the shaft. There is a manual thats free to download at the top of the forums, it has detailed instructions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2008 - 08:44 AM

The hole you refer to is a weep hole and the fact that coolant is leaking from it shows your water pump seal(s) have gone. The hole is there to let the rider know there is a problem.

The hole is actually there to prevent coolant from contaminating the engine oil by giving it a way out other than into the primary case. It does also provide a visual indication of the leak, though.

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:10 AM

I had the same problem right after I got my 01. It is an easy fix.

• 01Yamaha426

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:24 AM

alright thanks yall i didn't know if yall was gonna be able to figure out what i was talking about. i'll be gettin it fixed soon and checkin the forums to keep learning cause i've never owned a yamaha and some of their stuff is new to me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.