How much is too much?

2 replies to this topic
  • guitarnut57

Posted December 13, 2008 - 05:46 PM

I searched the forums for the answer to this question, to no avail.

I recently purchased an '04 YZ 450, and I am now on my second oil change. The first oil change (last weekend) went smoothly. I added about 35 ounces, and the oil level showed about 3/4 on the dipstick.

However, I just finished changing the oil tonight (oil filter, as well) and added about 36 ounces. I noticed that the oil level on the dipstick was at about 1/2 after letting the bike idle for 2 minutes. So, I went back and added about 2 or 3 more ounces, let it idle for 2 minutes, and noticed that the oil dipstick was slightly over the maximum fill line.

My question is this: Is it ok to run the bike slightly over the maximum fill line on the dipstick? Do I need to drain a little oil before I go to the track tomorrow? I am guessing that I have about 38-39 ounces of oil in it, and it is just over the max after just letting it idle for a couple of minutes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2008 - 07:16 PM

The '03-'05 can be run with as much as 1.5 qts total in the system without a problem. They have the same physical capacity as the older 426 did, but the dip stick was relocated and the called for oil fill reduced to save weight.

• guitarnut57

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:58 AM

Thanks gray, I took your advice and ran it like it was with absolutely no issues. I really appreciate your help.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.