Go Prepared...

5 replies to this topic
  • pedman

Posted January 27, 2003 - 12:19 PM

Boy not to sound like your mother, but be prepared for the worst when riding. One thing that I forgot is during the off season do not expect SAR's and other rescue groups to be readily available.

We had a bunch of riders in Goblin Valley this past weekend, the weather was perfect, the conditions were nice for some good technical trail riding. The worst happened at 1:30 in the afternoon when one of the riders went down. It was a awkward crash that turn the bike sidwards sending the rider downhill with the bike coming down on his right leg. Well think of the bike coming down on the right new and the rider bouncing up at the same time, or better make a fist with your right hand and place it on the outside of your leg, now imagine this is where you lower leg is.

As riders came down to notify the lead group, I went back to assess the damages(Former Medic)and try to figure out what we needed. First thing take care of the patient know what you have and what you need. Once we figured there was no way to get him out without causing more injury and endangering him more, we pulled the GPS to get our location and relayed this back to the lead group that was on the way for help. We were at least an hour and 45 minutes into our ride, 20 miles, so the minimal amount of time would probally be 2 hours before anyone knew that we needed help. Then we lost radio contact. No information was coming in, the patient was in shock and a few times life threatening convulsive shock.

About 4:00pm a rider come back to tell us that they know about us and that they are trying to find a helicopter to come in and get us. Not a good thing to hear at 4:00pm and sunset is at 5:30pm and as the sun was going down so was the temperature expodentually. We told the rider that we need supplies and gave him a list of things that we needed, were sleeping here tonight.

Worst fear that you can have, knowing that you need to hunker down and plan for a cold night. Some of the guys started to gather wood and we built a small fire and heated rocks to help keep the patient warm, also used space blankets his helmet to keep his head warm. We had to take our jackets back to limit the amount of exposure to ourselves.

By this time we had gotten everyone else out that didn't need to be there. One worry being that most of the bikes did not have lights on them and we did want anyone else hurt. It's fun to have alot of riders, but 16 can be a crowd.

Not sure what time it was, but we had sent out some riders to try and get us some supplies and the sun was getting lower. We were completely in the shadows of the high rocks when we heard the thump, thump, thump. The greatest sound I have heard, we had a landing zone already set up and they came in after one pass.

The irony was this was a good sound for us and for the patient the sound put him back into shock. My guess is that the mind plays tricks to help endure the bad situation and when he heard the helicopter, the mind said enough help is here and the body didn't like it.

Once we stabilized him and got him on the board, loaded in the helicopter, then you can rest. Now we are 20 miles out and need to get out quick. We loaded our gear got on the bikes b-lined out of there.

The main message here is be prepared!!! I have a great first aid kit, but it was in the truck. You don't need to have everything, but at least know where you are and be able to communicate and do carry some first aid supplies. It was kind of funny, one person asked what can we do more for our friend and we did everything possible that we could, but knowing what to do and not to do is your best tool. Take a basic first aid class or a refresher class. I was a medic for 10 years and took alot of classes in Wilderness Medicine knowing that I do spend most of my time in remote areas.

I hope that you find this informative and I pray that this never happens to anyone, but if it does, your prepared.

Oh yeah, our friend had surgurey yesterday and from what I am hearing his leg will be in traction for twelve weeks. A crushed tibea, right below the knee, some may know the pain...

• CuLayTur

Posted January 27, 2003 - 08:40 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out alright in that situation. The group I currently ride without here in Colorado has an Ex-EMT and we have learned the hard way to carry a full medical kit, GPS and Cellphone.. One of the other guys in the group, likes to fall down alot, but of course he rides a KTM. :)

Curt

• myxr

Posted January 29, 2003 - 01:46 PM

We had a similar experience but not nearly as critical. I asked for a got a wilderness survival book for christmas because I got paranoid. It's good reading especially during boring midwest winter season.Don't forget high carb food in your pack.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • r1superstar

Posted January 30, 2003 - 06:24 AM

Glad you guys made it out okay. If I ever go down, I hope that I have riding buddies that will take care of me as you guys did for the injured gentleman. And you are right, sixteen is a crowd. Perhaps splitting into groups of eight may have been better. Perhaps we can ride sometime soon together. Peace................db

• JADENHYRUM

Posted January 30, 2003 - 06:39 AM

What trail were you on down their? What was the cause of the crash? Out of control? inexperiance? Or just a freak thing? Their are a few people I have riden with in the past,that i refuse to ride with anymore because they think they are faster then they really are. Know what I mean? I guess what I mean is , anyone can take a crash, but some people seem to do it all the time cause they dont know how to ride within their abilitys. Those are the kind of people that scare me! Glad to hear that everything is ok with you guys, Those are the kind of storys I hate to hear about, and pray never happens to me.

• the_tree

Posted January 30, 2003 - 08:13 AM

Good post! I was lucky 2 years back as I was impaled in the neck by a 2 inch almost dead pine that somehow popped up from the ground and ran up through my radiator shroud and wedged between the upper triple clamp. Knocked me off the bike. My neck was numb and I remember thinking "this is not a good spot to get hit". Had alot of blood (couldn't see the wound & I was riding sweep), but since I could tell it wasn't spurting, I felt like it missed the big stuff, so I dislodged the tree and caught up to everyone and it had stopped bleeding by that time. We were at Mt. Home, Wyoming (no cell phones work there) and about 10 miles from the truck and another 30 miles from Laramie. At the E.R. I found out the tree went in about halfway in my neck and just missed my jugular vein.

After that I went to the hockey store and bought a neck a good protector, then sewed a plastic strip on the front. Since then, I've also thought about the other "open" areas in my protection around the gut & legs, but haven't come up with a good solution for those yet.

Do carry a good first aid kit with me now, but feel an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, plus you get to ride more.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.