Should i buy an XR650 or KTM 625 SXC

16 replies to this topic
  • marcw

Posted January 27, 2003 - 12:08 PM

Hello ... I looking for good feedback on the XR650. Today I own a XR600 1986 and love it.. She's a bit heavy and tough to start. I'm hoping the 650 is a new bike lighter and easier to start. Your feedback very welcome. Does it compare well against the KTM.

• qadsan

Posted January 27, 2003 - 12:40 PM

...I'm hoping the 650 is a new bike lighter and easier to start...

The XR600 is actually a tad bit lighter than the XR650R, but the XR650R feels fairly light once its under way and its still the kind of Baja. Where you feel the weight is on steep downhills or on very technical / tight twisty terrain that requires crawling in first gear. It's also not a MX bike, but other than that, the bike loves to scream whether its on a fire road, across the desert, in the sand, down a twisty trail, climbing hills, riding trails with my kids or friends, etc. It's also very reliable and there's tons of aftermarket support for this bike as well.

Here's some articles to read on the XR650R that also mentions the XR600.

Based on a post I recently read from "stonewall" here on TT, the XR650R weighs in at 302 lbs when its full of fuel and ready to ride according to the May 2000 issue of Dirt Rider. The Honda spec sheet says its 277 lbs dry. Here's some other ready to ride weights on different bikes for comparison.

Suzuki DRZ400E=295 lbs
KTM520 E/XC=272 lbs
Husaberg FE600E=285 lbs
Honda XR400R=278 lbs
Yamaha WR400F=276 lbs
Kawasaki KLX300=271 lbs

• marcw

Posted January 27, 2003 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the info... What's it like to start when Hot?

• qadsan

Posted January 27, 2003 - 01:14 PM

With the stock carb, it's usually fairly quick to start cold or hot if its properly tuned / jetted (just a few kicks), but if you lay the bike down for some reason :), then it will require more effort.

• Rokatt88

Posted January 27, 2003 - 01:33 PM

This looks like a job for Danco! :) Hey Danco, give this guy the 411!

• qadsan

Posted January 27, 2003 - 01:45 PM

This looks like a job for Danco!

Yeah...Danco rides an Orange XR650R, or was it a Red KTM525 :). His new bike would look better with some stock XR graphics on it :D. That would catch a few looks, eh?

• Rokatt88

Posted January 27, 2003 - 03:43 PM

He's going "Full Vader" and getting Black Plastic! Go Danco! :)

• marcw

Posted January 27, 2003 - 07:10 PM

Well I guess I'll wait for the infamous Danco.. I thought there would be more opinions.

Thanks Anyway ! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FooBarr

Posted January 27, 2003 - 07:56 PM

Danco is the man, especially if you need good used parts! :)
Try doing a search for KTM 625 on this forum and you should get some hits as of about 2-3 weeks ago. That was him trying to sell off his XR parts trying to scrape the money together for the Deer Hunter special, an orange KTM.

My advise is open terrain, XR650R
Woods, tight trails, KTM. My bud has a KTM 620 and does pretty well on it. He's about 5 '6" and probably wouldn't fare well on the XR. Probably would have issue starting the thing.

• Rokatt88

Posted January 28, 2003 - 06:44 AM

Marcw, The reason that I feel that Danco would be a good person to get feed back from is that he just sold his BRP and went to the "Orange Side" with a new 2003 525. Personally I have yet to ride a Katoom. From what I understand they are all that and more. All I can tell you is that The BRP is a better bike than what I expected after reading all the tests. I'm 5'9" & 170. The bike fits me like a glove. I ride mostly desert but I love to rage through technical rides and the Pig fills the bill very nicely. No complaints or "other bike envy". I feel the the XR650R is Great Bang For The Buck. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! Now where's Danco? :D I thought he'd be here by now! :)

• XRider

Posted January 28, 2003 - 07:02 AM

I had a 2002 BRP and loved the bike in the wide open. It didn’t do bad in tighter stuff, you just had to work a little harder. I have been on a 2003 KTM 525 EXC since August and I absolutely love the thing. If I could only have one bike, I wouldn’t go back to the BRP. However, I wish I had one on the side. I don’t know if this helps you. What I am trying to say is, you can’t beat the BRP for wide open desert and in my opinion you can’t beat the KTM for an all around bike. My 525 hauls in the open stuff as well and works like magic in the tighter trails. It just doesn’t have that Cadillac feel that the BRP has in the wide open desert. The SXC looks like it would be a closer cousin to the BRP that the EXC is.

My .02

• FooBarr

Posted January 28, 2003 - 03:31 PM

Another point to note is Qadsan is working an auto clutch group purchase. I think the price tag was going to be around $400 or something. An auto clutch would make the BRP a descent woods bike if you got the strength to toss her around the trees.

• stonewall

Posted January 28, 2003 - 06:00 PM

Hey FooBar
I think my BRP is a decent woods bike. I can toss her around quite nicely, thank you. :D
That auto clutch would be sweet though. I just need to scrape up some funds. You should get one and let me try it out when you get here. :)

• stonewall

Posted January 28, 2003 - 06:05 PM

Oh, I forgot. :) My 650R starts easy hot or cold. Sometimes she gets a little ornery after being upside down but that is just incentive to keep her right side up.

• FooBarr

Posted January 28, 2003 - 06:14 PM

I bet the trees are shakin already! With a BRP, there's plenty of straight lines in the woods! :)

• marcw

Posted January 29, 2003 - 07:42 AM

Well .. I'm picking up my 2003 XR650 on Tuesday. I'll report back once i've made her my own ie 55hp and a few other mods

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Marc :)

• Rokatt88

Posted January 29, 2003 - 09:48 AM

Welcome, Pig Brother! :)

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.