Looking for creative ideas to shave weight

29 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2009 - 01:19 PM

Agreed maybe more like 4 ounces. . . .if that:thumbsup:

Figure half the weight of two standard tubes as reasonable.

• BigOSPig

Posted February 19, 2009 - 01:29 PM

Also, don`t use decals or graphics.

Sure that would save weight, but it would cost you in acceleration and top speed, which are the biggest reasons for using decals. You can have ugly and light or you can have KOOL and FAST!:lol:

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted February 20, 2009 - 09:45 AM

Like I stated, not only dead weight but rolling weight.

• Kasjok

Posted February 20, 2009 - 09:50 AM

Sander your plastics ( frame?) thinner, drill holes where you can and if a thing is held in place with multiple bolts, remove as much as you can or replace them with zip- ties.

• LAndrew

Posted February 20, 2009 - 01:11 PM

Look for any bolts that protrude past the nut and trim them down with a dremel.

Thats all I could think of that's relatively free.

Aluminum fastners where there is little load (check out the high end mountain bikes)

Are the Tubliss tubes going to production this spring for sure??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirty Sanchez

Posted February 20, 2009 - 03:55 PM

The Tubliss kits will be available late March I'm told. We're waiting on a bunch. Can't wait!

Ti axles and bolts/nuts are both very effective ways of shaving weight.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted February 20, 2009 - 05:34 PM

I have one of the Tubliss kits for a 19" rear wheel installed on my extra wheel that I have my sand paddle mounted on and it actually works great! I have weighed my stock rear wheel with a Bridgestone 120/80/19 tire and standard tube against my sand tire set up which is a excell rim/talon hub/bulldog spoked wheel with the Tubliss thing and an 8pdl skattrak paddle tire on it and believe it or not but my sand tire/wheel setup weighed in at a little over 8lbs lighter than my dirt setup!

The nice thing about the Tubliss set up in my opinion is that it locks the bead of the tire to the rim so if you get a flat tire your tire will not come loose from the rim and beat your wheel up. But it will handle like crap. Also with the tubliss setup if you got a flat you could "fix" it by using a can of fix-o-flat or whatever if you had to which I doubt would work very successfully with a standard set up with a tube in it.

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2009 - 08:21 PM

I have one of the Tubliss kits for a 19" rear wheel installed on my extra wheel that I have my sand paddle mounted on and it actually works great! I have weighed my stock rear wheel with a Bridgestone 120/80/19 tire and standard tube against my sand tire set up which is a excell rim/talon hub/bulldog spoked wheel with the Tubliss thing and an 8pdl skattrak paddle tire on it and believe it or not but my sand tire/wheel setup weighed in at a little over 8lbs lighter than my dirt setup!

You're comparing two different wheels built with two different hubs using two different tires (and the knobby is a 120 on top of it) and saying the weight difference is due to the Tubliss setup? Not very scientific, I'm afraid.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted February 21, 2009 - 04:16 PM

You're comparing two different wheels built with two different hubs using two different tires (and the knobby is a 120 on top of it) and saying the weight difference is due to the Tubliss setup? Not very scientific, I'm afraid.

I didnt say that all of the difference in weight was due to the Tubliss setup. I realize that most of the weight savings are due to the paddle tire being alot lighter than a knobby and I also know that the hub is a little bit lighter than stock, but not much. I know it is lighter than a tube but really that is all. The main point to my post was to say that i thought the Tubliss thing worked good and that I liked it. In fact I think I am going to get one to start using on my dirt wheel as well in the near future.

• Wes Woodin

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:34 PM

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I've always found it easier to shave weight off the rider instead of the bike.

I have to say that it is certainly cheaper too.:lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.