Looking for creative ideas to shave weight

29 replies to this topic
  • qwik12beat

Posted December 12, 2008 - 05:50 PM

Ive been trying to lower the center of gravity of my bike, and lower the overall weight of it. I have already decided to swap out my fmf system for the dr.d system w/ the radiator lowering kit. I had thought about drilling a few holes in the headstay, but im not real sure how strong it is to begin with, and how much force it actually see's. I also want to put some foam in my gastank to keep sloshing to a minimum.
I can throw the bike around fine now, but im going to start racing enduro, and every little bit of weight i can lose or move lower will surely help.

• 642MX

Posted December 12, 2008 - 07:15 PM

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I've always found it easier to shave weight off the rider instead of the bike.

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 12, 2008 - 09:18 PM

i was taking my bike apart today (you know why)....i was just taking the back half apart. the thing i found that weighed the most was the air box/boot/airfilter set up. i would reccomind taking it all off gutting it all out and just running like a K & N with a pre filter or something. you have to take the whole sub frame off to get it out. and you could probably put the sides back on (you may have to do some chop cut rebuild) so it looks stock and still has the mud flap. just an idea caus i knowtised it weighed a lot! i think the part that weighed the most was the big filter boot!

• Justin89

Posted December 12, 2008 - 10:04 PM

Try the radiator lowering kit and get some tank foam. Get all CF protection if you have or want it. Also try cutting the sub frame to lower it a bit. This all will make your bike "feel" loads lighter. By the way, isnt the DRD systme heavier than the FMF system?

• qwik12beat

Posted December 13, 2008 - 05:38 AM

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I've always found it easier to shave weight off the rider instead of the bike.

I know what you mean. Im currently 221lbs, and i am cutting weight now. I will be down to 190-200 come race time.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 13, 2008 - 05:41 AM

Try the radiator lowering kit and get some tank foam. Get all CF protection if you have or want it. Also try cutting the sub frame to lower it a bit. This all will make your bike "feel" loads lighter. By the way, isnt the DRD systme heavier than the FMF system?

I think it is slightly heavier, but i figured the ability to lower the radiators with the dr.d system would be more beneficial. What do you think?

• William1

Posted December 13, 2008 - 05:54 AM

Radiators, full of coolant, really do not weight that much. But... every little bit does count and improvements are cumulative.

Removing the airbox and airboot is not a good idea. An air filter stuck on the carb has a lot of turbulence in it (something the airboot tends to smooth out) and this turbulence can cause jetting issues as the slow and main airjets are right in the bellmouth of the carb.

A billet triple a alloy bars might save weight. Ti fasteners on all bolts will save a bit. Ti exhaust will save a lot.

• KJ790

Posted December 13, 2008 - 06:45 AM

For the exhaust you should go with a ti system, if you want to lower the radiators then get the Dr. D ti system or an FMF factory forward powerbomb like I have. Here are some of the tiny details to save weight that I have done. In reality they add up to almost nothing.

Lots of Carbon fiber with full titanium exhaust:

Posted Image

Drilled holes in the shoulder of the axle (actually saved over an ounce):

Posted Image

Drilled holes in axle blocks:

Posted Image

Drilled holes in all washers:

Posted Image

Posted Image

After all of that work you will save no more than a couple ounces, it will never be noticeable, but it will look trick. The easiest way to save weight is to only fill your gas tank with as much gas as you will need (well, a little extra). Don't fill it to the top for a 7 lap race.

• qwik12beat

Posted December 13, 2008 - 07:20 AM

Definetely looks super trick. I like it. Thanks for the idea:thumbsup: Is that a carbon gastank or a decal?Looks nice. How strong are the carbon clutch covers. Mine will need to be able to take a beating:smirk:

• William1

Posted December 13, 2008 - 07:49 AM

KJ, idle hands are the devils workshop...... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kasjok

Posted December 13, 2008 - 07:58 AM

Also, don`t use decals or graphics. You could sand some plastics thinner to save weight and use thin inner tubes. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2008 - 09:10 AM

By the way, isnt the DRD systme heavier than the FMF system?

Yes and no. The stainless system is, the Ti or Ti/Carbons aren't.

The stainless setup weighs the same as the stock '06-'07 pipe, but the header is heavier, and the can is lighter, so it lowers and centralizes the same amount of weight.

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted December 13, 2008 - 01:14 PM

One of the biggest areas to save weight but make it feel way lighter is in the wheels, tires, and unsuspended weight. Rotational mass can add up even if the actual weight doesn't seem that heavy. Run lighter tubes/tires or a tubeless kit (ie: Tubliss from Nuetech) that keeps the rotational mass closer to the rim. You will notice a difference.

• 642MX

Posted December 13, 2008 - 01:46 PM

KJ - you have way too much free time.....lol. Nice bike :thumbsup:

• KAS

Posted December 13, 2008 - 02:19 PM

Replace it with a YZ250 2-stroke. Ta-da!

• scooter42

Posted December 13, 2008 - 02:39 PM

Replace it with a YZ250 2-stroke. Ta-da!

:thumbsup:

save weight and Money at the same time? Simply AMAZING!

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 13, 2008 - 03:56 PM

haha save money? lol not on a 2 stroke enduro bike.

• gtxkid

Posted December 14, 2008 - 07:01 AM

Go with nuetec tubless tire setup
That will save a ton over anything else
This i think should be the number one weight saver.
I think like 4 pounsa on front and 4 on back.
Cool thing is it makes rotating mass easer to stop the bike and easer to get rolling again.

• ilikeymmm

Posted February 19, 2009 - 01:04 PM

8 pounds NO WAY!!!!!! does anyone have the real fig. on that one

• FinchFan194

Posted February 19, 2009 - 01:12 PM

8 pounds NO WAY!!!!!! does anyone have the real fig. on that one

Agreed maybe more like 4 ounces. . . .if that:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.