02 YZ426F rust in forks

3 replies to this topic
  • MikeyT750

Posted December 12, 2008 - 04:38 PM

Hey Guys
I just got back into riding my D Bike after taking it to the streets for 5yrs. So the Fo Twenty has been sittin.
I started noticing that every time I would hit a jump or preloaded the suspension as soon as my front wheel left the ground it would spring back to full extention and make a cracking noise at full lock. :thumbsup: I adjusted the rebound (Bottom Clickers) progressivley all the way out trying it at 3-4 click intervals. Last weekend I maxed it out.
Well I bought new bushings, seals, oil and dust seals from Yamaha and rebuilt my forks with an oil height of 115mm (I Weigh 220). we will see what happens tomorrow. When I pulled the forks apart there was rust present on both of the little cups below the compression clickers.??/? How in the heck does this happen? Everything else looked fine.
Also One other thing for those suspension guru's, the lock nut that you tighten the top cap with (Stick the wrench between the spring and the plastic---Is that supposed to be all the way down at the end of it's threads before you tighten the cap to it? I have never really found the right answer.
This site rocks the house!:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2008 - 11:43 PM

Also One other thing for those suspension guru's, the lock nut that you tighten the top cap with (Stick the wrench between the spring and the plastic---Is that supposed to be all the way down at the end of it's threads before you tighten the cap to it?

Yes. The rebound clicker in the fork cap (you have the clicker functions backward) needs to be backed all the way out as well. Then, the cap is run down onto the rod until it bottoms, and the nut run up against it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeyT750

Posted December 15, 2008 - 08:45 PM

Man I had the Functions Backwards? Holy Moly. No wonder. That answers a lot of q's. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2008 - 09:02 PM

'05 and up have compression on top. '04 and earlier is the other way around.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.