help 99 wr

11 replies to this topic
  • yamaha2004r6

Posted December 12, 2008 - 02:52 PM

i hope some one can help i got a 1999 wr 400 which started to make a rattling noise but when revved goes away. I'm guessing in the cam chain but not sure. how can i test my tension-er and how can you tell if the cam chain has stretched with out taking it off. many thanks

• adz_244

Posted December 12, 2008 - 03:09 PM

hi pull the tentioner off and see how much the foot is extended and if its near full extention replace the chain

• yamaha2004r6

Posted December 12, 2008 - 03:25 PM

but when you pull the tension-er out doesn't it extend right out any way ?????

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 12, 2008 - 03:30 PM

but when you pull the tension-er out doesn't it extend right out any way ?????

yep...

• adz_244

Posted December 12, 2008 - 03:41 PM

sorry not done a wr but on my gsxr you undo the bolt in the middle of the tentioner and it releses pressure on the foot i thought they all worked that way sjmc obviously nows maybe he will advise

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 12, 2008 - 04:34 PM

the wr tensioners are self adjusting... thats not to say that they don't fail but usually happens while trying to re-install them. They are constantly being pushed toward the chain by a very stout spring.

Cam chains are like $12 US, I'd buy one and replace it, adjusting/shimming valves as needed at the same time.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha2004r6

Posted December 13, 2008 - 02:09 AM

in the UK the chains are around £50 and the tensioners are around £50. can't you tell if the chain is stretched by seeing how lose it is between the two cam's ????????

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 13, 2008 - 10:02 AM

If there is slack between the cams... you need a new chain.

Are you the original owner? A 99' wr by rights should have had the timing chain replaced atleast once by now...

• yamaha2004r6

Posted December 13, 2008 - 12:58 PM

no im not the original owner and theres only a little bit of slack i can move the chain about a 10 MM up and down between the cam's...

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 13, 2008 - 04:02 PM

10mm of slop, with the tensioner in?... thats not right. Can you rotate the flywheel one way or nother and take up the slack?

I would double check the tensioner... if you loosen the to 8mm bolts and it pushes itself out then it's still good... you'll need to take it off anyway to change the chain which I would recommend based on what your saying. You'll need a flywheel puller if you don't have one.. check the valve gaps before you take it apart so you can adjust as needed as long as you have it apart..

I just converted the currency and I could see 50 pound for a tensioner, thats about $75 US but for a chain? No way! I'd double check the price should be more like 9 pound otherwise your getting ripped off

• yamaha2004r6

Posted December 14, 2008 - 11:54 AM

10mm of slop, with the tensioner in?... thats not right. Can you rotate the flywheel one way or nother and take up the slack?

I would double check the tensioner... if you loosen the to 8mm bolts and it pushes itself out then it's still good... you'll need to take it off anyway to change the chain which I would recommend based on what your saying. You'll need a flywheel puller if you don't have one.. check the valve gaps before you take it apart so you can adjust as needed as long as you have it apart..

I just converted the currency and I could see 50 pound for a tensioner, that's about $75 US but for a chain? No way! I'd double check the price should be more like 9 pound otherwise your getting ripped off

you cant rotate the flywheel one way or the other to take up the slack. ive taken the tensioner out and it pushes it self out just fine. I'm starting to wonder weather it the chain or if its something else. as you can feel the rattling noise on the left side of the engine. :thumbsup: ..............

And yer £50 about the right price of here for the chain and tensioner, ive tried a couple of place's now. you can buy 2nd hand one over here for around £20 each. i think its going to be cheaper to buy them over in the USA and get them shipped back over to the uk.

• yamaha2004r6

Posted December 19, 2008 - 12:02 PM

please i still need help as its still rattling thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.