What improvements are seen on a 2004 vs the 2003 WR450F?

20 replies to this topic
  • wabbit

Posted December 12, 2008 - 09:59 AM

I'm getting a 2003 WR450F and may have access to a 2004 parts bike.
What improvments were made (factory) to the 2004 model?
I know of the starter gear/side case revision. What else should I look for to make my 03 mo' better? Also, what years will interchange besides 2004?(04 thru???)
TIA
wabbit

• MarshalGiles

Posted December 12, 2008 - 11:57 AM

I'm getting a 2003 WR450F and may have access to a 2004 parts bike.
What improvments were made (factory) to the 2004 model?
I know of the starter gear/side case revision. What else should I look for to make my 03 mo' better? Also, what years will interchange besides 2004?(04 thru???)
TIA
wabbit

I can't comment on actual specific improvements over the years, but 03-06 bikes are basically the same configuration and many, many parts are interchangeable. I'm going to assume that the 04 suspension is better than the 03, but that's purely a guess. Hopefully someone else can help you out a bit more.

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 12, 2008 - 12:07 PM

Aside from the starter stuff the KICKSTAND! '04 has a nice aluminum one that tucks away real nice. Other than those items everything else is pretty much the same.

• doctorchopper

Posted December 13, 2008 - 06:48 AM

not sure about 04 but in 05 they went to 48mm front forks from 46mm, the gas tank is slimmer, it has AIS for emmisions, front brake cable is routed different, the exhaust is different as well.

• BajaFool

Posted December 13, 2008 - 10:44 AM

PBDBlue, MarshallGiles and doctorchopper sum it up very well. However, for 2005-2006, the tank was not just slimmer, it held 2.5 gals. vs the 2003-2004 tank which held 3.2 gals. They were all jetted differently from the factory. All needed the free mods incorporated. The 2005-2006 had emissions plumbing added that most people removed for weight saving, but other than causing backfiring on deceleration, did nothing to limit the engine performance. There were the usual annual slight tweaks to the suspension settings, (i.e., different spring rates and valving). The 2004 had a slightly stiffer rear spring. However, all of the rear shocks are physically interchangeable and they did go from 46 to 48 mm forks in 2005. In 2005 - 2006, the radiator shrouds were the same shrouds that came on the 2003-2005 YZ450F's.

I owned the 2003 and the 2006 model WR450F's. All things considered, they were pretty much "two peas in a pod".

See this link for an article that compares the 2003 and 2004 WR450F's. http://www.dirtrider...250f/index.html

Where did you find a parts bike?

• wabbit

Posted December 14, 2008 - 08:48 AM

Thanks guys! I'm getting to know my bike and I haven't even picked it up yet.
Honestly, I bought the bike off a radio station auction at a "killer deal", with the intent to sell it for a profit. Gotta pay the bills ya'know... But.. the more I learn about the WR450, the more I think I want, no NEED to keep it! Hence my inclination to upgrade and farkle as necessary. I have a Kawasaki KLR650, dual sport, that I ride on street and dirt. It's a great street bike with off-road capabilities, but at 330 pounds dry, ( the KLR, not me), it is a handfull on more rugged trails. I love my KLR, and will keep it. But i'm looking forward to going places on the WR with more confidence and agility.
So... do we know if the 04 kickstand will be a simple swap to the 03 frame mounting location?
And can we verify the fork upgrade was in 05, and not 04? I did see in pics that the 04 has goldtone anodized upper tubes, and the 03 does not. I'm hoping this indicates the fork upgrade was present in the 04 model. Can someone with an 04 break out the dial calipers and check for sure?
The part bike I referred to is the one listed in the TT classifieds. I am waiting until I have my bike "in hand" before I contact the seller.

wabbit

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 14, 2008 - 09:18 AM

Yes the kickstand is a bolt on and the forks are the same. There may be some minor valving differences but not enough to worry about. '05 was the first year with the larger forks. I currently own one of each (03 & 04) so I'm pretty sure about all this. Buy it/ ride it - you'll like it coming off a KLR.

• jsproch

Posted December 14, 2008 - 11:21 AM

Don't forget the anti-stiction coating on the forks...and the aluminum pistons in the brake caliper to save weight...both make my '04 soooo much better than the '03!:thumbsup: The fork tube diameter remained the same (46mm) through the '04 models. The switch was made in '05 to the larger (48 mm) fork tubes. I keep thinking about getting a newer WR but just can't seem to justify it...this bike has never let me down.

• brad the best

Posted December 14, 2008 - 04:40 PM

And can we verify the fork upgrade was in 05, and not 04? I did see in pics that the 04 has goldtone anodized upper tubes, and the 03 does not. I'm hoping this indicates the fork upgrade was present in the 04 model. Can someone with an 04 break out the dial calipers and check for sure?
The part bike I referred to is the one listed in the TT classifieds. I am waiting until I have my bike "in hand" before I contact the seller.

wabbit

my 03 definitely had gold upper tubes i think it was the 426 that had the silver forks . that or maybe because i have a 2003 made in december they used the newer fork on it .

im pretty sure it was 05 . no matter what you want to just buy a yzf 450 fork of ebay to swap it out anyway .

• BajaFool

Posted December 14, 2008 - 09:51 PM

Wabbit,
The change to the 48 mm forks occurred in the 2005 model year. The 2003 and 2004 WR450Fs came with 46 mm forks.

Go to this link http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/. When the page opens, go to the drop down menus at the top of the page and click on [COLOR="Red"]SUPPORT.[/COLOR] Scroll down in this menu until you reach [COLOR="red"][COLOR="Red"]VIEW OWNERS' HANDBOOKS[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Follow the directions for inputting model years and you will find the Owners' Manuals in English as well as several other languages. If you input the 2004 model, page through until you reach the Maintenance Specifications section in the Owners' Handbook, page 2-13. All of your questions can be answered in this portion of the manual regarding front fork and rear shock specifications.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:28 PM

I guess the two bikes sitting side by side in my garage wasn't proof enough :thumbsup:

• BajaFool

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:38 PM

Oh Well!!!!!!!!!

• wabbit

Posted December 15, 2008 - 07:28 AM

BajaFool, thanks for the links to the article and PDF Manuals. I'm a stickler for tech specs and my reference library keeps growing!

PBDBLUE, you have the best physical reference to my inquiry. How many WR450's do you have at last count?:thumbsup:
Does your 03 have the goldtone anodizing on the forks? Is that more than color? Or anti-stiction like jsproch said?
I may be the case that late year model units could see new year model components. Brad, you may have gotten lucky on your 03. Hmmm... wouldn't a unit mfg'd in late 03 be an 04 year model anyways? What's the break on that? ie: Is there a specific month that starts mfg of the new year model?

• BajaFool

Posted December 15, 2008 - 02:10 PM

Wabbitt,
You've worn us out. It is a used bike, what you see is what you get. Buy it and ride it.

• wabbit

Posted December 15, 2008 - 05:10 PM

Wabbitt,
You've worn us out. It is a used bike, what you see is what you get. Buy it and ride it.

Baja, you've provided me, and the forum xlnt comprehensive info on this topic and I am thankful. If you're tired, take a break.:thumbsup:

I HAVE bought this bike and knowing what it is, and what it isn't, is good to know when I head out, to Baja perhaps...

A year by year model change listing for the WR450 would be a great reference for the FAQ. It really helps to know what improvements were made each year, beyond the next coolest graphics package. Also, highly relevant when picking over a "parts bike" to know what will interchange.
As mfg date and model year don't both turn on New Year's Day, the new model release date (at least the month), is especially pertinent. Seems like "brad the best" may very well have an 04 model. Congrats brad!!!

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 16, 2008 - 06:19 AM

All Japanese bikes are made in one relatively short production run so there really isn't any "late '03 model". They are all the same. As for the differences between 03/04 other than the starter and kickstand they are both very similar. Nothing special about the forks that I could ever tell in real world terms.

• Asondrup

Posted June 22, 2014 - 01:39 PM

Great Forum this, just got myself a 2003 Supermoto WR450 here in Denmark, the Crankshaft is bust but it was cheap and i will be able to save it !will a so called "Full bottom rebuild kit" with crankshaft and all included fit from 2003 to 2006? i dont really trust ebay sellers.

// Anders

Edited by Asondrup, June 22, 2014 - 01:40 PM.

• bg10459

Posted June 22, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Yes, you can use an 04-06 crank. Although, the 03 crank is different from the 04-06 cranks, it is now obsolete and has been replaced by the newer ones. You will also need an 04-06 flywheel. Everything else is the same.

• Asondrup

Posted June 25, 2014 - 10:31 AM

Sorry for my slow reply bg10459.

So i dont have to take any precautions when re fitting new Piston kit and Crank bottom rebuild kit to my 2003 then changing my Flywheel as well. the reason im asking so much for a confirmation, is because im from denmark and all parts come from overseas, which can be a pain in the a** if i get them shipped here and the thing wont fit. hope you get me ;)

Thanks!

• bg10459

Posted June 25, 2014 - 01:24 PM

I have an 04 crank and flywheel in my 03 WR450. The only other issue might be the starter clutch gear 3 (5TJ-15515-00-00 for 03 and 5TG-15515-01-00 for 04). The 03 gear has a bearing and a thrust washer, the 04 gear just has a bushing. I think, but I'm not certain, that you can use the 03 gear, bearing and washer on the 04 crank. However, the fact that I know that there is a difference between the two leads me to believe the 04 gear may be required. I may have ordered the 04 part thinking that I needed it and then realized the 03 part could have been used, I'm not sure. I definitely used the 04 gear in my build, though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.