Bought a 426!!!

23 replies to this topic
  • MotoPhotog

Posted December 12, 2008 - 08:09 AM

Hi all... Went to look at 2 bikes last night.

(suggested i copy paste this from a NW section post i made)
Checked 2 bikes in bonneyl lake. a 03 450, which was pretty beat on, the motor had some noise i didnt like. it was consistant, and the power felt fine on the test ride, but i was nervous since it was louder than my ktm 625... figured something was up with that So i waited and went to check the other 426.

Guy was 3 miles away (as luck would have it) and Nathan was super nice, up front and honest about the bike needing a clutch "soon." The valves were just inspected, it has fresher rubber, bike is overall very clean, and better yet, the motor sounded VERY tight. I'm ok with hearing the typical Yamaha ticky valves, but it was silent other than that. So the clutch is extremely grabby, but shifts very nicely, and it seems to be jetted well. Only thing that sucks is its a stock muffler and header, with a spark arrestor on it. He offered to cover the clutch cost, so I bought it. Comes with fresh rubber, new chain and sprockets, spark arrestor, and frame guards. Its a 2000 yz426!

So i come to you (the experts) about suggestions for my needs on a clutch.... should i go aftermarket or stock? Can someone tell me the differences between the two? Sorry. Im a dirt newb. All the times I rode, pops maintained my bikes for the most part. :smirk: Also... where are the best places to buy your 426 parts? I'm looking at replacing the rear fender, and buying handguards, or what we called em barkbusters, in 95 when i quit riding dirt............

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks much in advance, and i look forward to meeting/riding with you. :thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted December 12, 2008 - 09:22 AM

Welcome to the YZ400/426/450 forum...you will find tons of info here as well as some EXTREMELY knowledgable members. :thumbsup:

The TT OEM store is a great place to order parts and the prices kick butt. If you want local, then I can't put a higher recommendation than Adventure Motorsports but they are up in Monroe and it sounds like you are down south.

First off, does your bike still have the compression release lever? If so, the single best thing you can do to your bike is to replace your stock exhaust cam with an auto-decompression cam...either aftermarket (Hotcams) or with an OEM cam from a '03 - '05 YZ450. It is easy to do and inexpensive. Check the sticky threads at the top of the page and you will find more information on this than you can handle. In fact, I would recommend that you browse through the sticky threads right away and you will be amazed at how much you can learn from them.

Secondly, since you are going to be trail riding on the west side (tight woods) and if you have a subsidy on a new clutch from the seller then I recommend that you look into purchasing a Rekluse auto clutch, which IMO, is the second best mod you can do to a 426 behind the auto-decomp exhaust cam.

Welcome!

• MotoPhotog

Posted December 12, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Welcome to the YZ400/426/450 forum...you will find tons of info here as well as some EXTREMELY knowledgable members. :thumbsup:

The TT OEM store is a great place to order parts and the prices kick butt. If you want local, then I can't put a higher recommendation than Adventure Motorsports but they are up in Monroe and it sounds like you are down south.

First off, does your bike still have the compression release lever? If so, the single best thing you can do to your bike is to replace your stock exhaust cam with an auto-decompression cam...either aftermarket (Hotcams) or with an OEM cam from a '03 - '05 YZ450. It is easy to do and inexpensive. Check the sticky threads at the top of the page and you will find more information on this than you can handle. In fact, I would recommend that you browse through the sticky threads right away and you will be amazed at how much you can learn from them.

Secondly, since you are going to be trail riding on the west side (tight woods) and if you have a subsidy on a new clutch from the seller then I recommend that you look into purchasing a Rekluse auto clutch, which IMO, is the second best mod you can do to a 426 behind the auto-decomp exhaust cam.

Welcome!

Thanks Wiz, will do. Im not interested in the auto clutch, but def am going to be doing the cam mod at some time. As for the clutch itself.. it only is finicky when first engaging in first gear... im gonna change the oil and go adjust it a bit, im even wondering if it needs a clutch.

As for the stickied threads headin there now....... thx!

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2008 - 10:04 AM

The 2000 YZ426 had a notoriously grabby clutch. This can be corrected. Start by verifying that the clutch basket and boss (hub) are not in need of replacement due to notching. If they are, use a Hinson or GYT-R basket (if you can find one; the 2000 is different) and an OEM boss (vastly less expensive). Use OEM or Hinson plates for an '01-'02 model, and then add the parts listed in the link below to convert it to an '01 clutch.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=461631

• craigdieselmac

Posted December 12, 2008 - 10:41 PM

I would wait on the cam mod until you absolutley have to set the valves, or do something else internal. I just got my 426 about a month ago, due to weather, work, and carb problems I have less than 10 hours ride time on it and I can get it fired on the second kick every time now, even ice cold. Once you have the start sequence down, I'm not sure you would ever even consider changing the cam.. its really not that big of a deal to me now. Depends on you but I would give it a little time...

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2008 - 09:01 AM

I would wait on the cam mod until you absolutley have to set the valves, or do something else internal. I just got my 426 about a month ago, due to weather, work, and carb problems I have less than 10 hours ride time on it and I can get it fired on the second kick every time now, even ice cold. Once you have the start sequence down, I'm not sure you would ever even consider changing the cam..

I've owned them with and without, and let me tell you that I learned everything you can do with a compression release more than 35 years ago with all the British thumpers I used to ride. I "never had a problem" getting mine started either, and almost didn't buy my '03 because it had auto decomp. But from that perspective, I will tell you that I will never go back to manual except to own a classic Limey bike. There's more advantages to AD engines than just kick starting, and anyone who says it's no big deal either has no experience with it, or is seriously in denial.

It's the best mod for your YZ400/426, bar none.

• MotoPhotog

Posted December 13, 2008 - 06:22 PM

Well went to do a lil inspecting, further cleaning. Good news. Really easy to start, jetted well, air filter is very clean, oil was near full....... bad news...... bottom drain bolt was near stripped, and when trying to get it off, even with a 12 point 12mm socket....... still stripped. This guy torqued everything to 200lbs, :smirk: so now i get to find a way to get this damn sucker off. I was able to drain the oil out of the frame with ease. Damn i was suprised how much oil was held there. I figured it would be maybe 1/4 of the oil, with most down low, it was really the other way around. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2008 - 07:24 PM

I was able to drain the oil out of the frame with ease. Damn i was suprised how much oil was held there. I figured it would be maybe 1/4 of the oil, with most down low, it was really the other way around. :thumbsup:

Never had a dry sump system before, eh? Read:

http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

• 02WR426Cali

Posted December 13, 2008 - 10:35 PM

I've owned them with and without, and let me tell you that I learned everything you can do with a compression release more than 35 years ago with all the British thumpers I used to ride. I "never had a problem" getting mine started either, and almost didn't buy my '03 because it had auto decomp. But from that perspective, I will tell you that I will never go back to manual except to own a classic Limey bike. There's more advantages to AD engines than just kick starting, and anyone who says it's no big deal either has no experience with it, or is seriously in denial.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm really curious, other than easier bump starting what are the other advantages of the AD you speak of gray?

• craigdieselmac

Posted December 14, 2008 - 05:19 AM

Don't be mad about it dude, I wasn't trying to fight with you, or say you were wrong. Just seems to me if it ain't broke, don't fix it... just my .02. I'd imagine you could argue either side all day, no doubt the AD makes it easier and I have kicked both, it just doesn't hurt my feelings to have to use it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vtwinjunkie

Posted December 14, 2008 - 07:21 AM

great choice man! I love my 426...in fact I am going to go ride it now! and I second what a few others have said as far as once you get used to the decompression lever its a piece of cake to start....
and as far as the stripped oil pan, if thats the worst of your worries than I would say your in good shape!

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2008 - 08:38 AM

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm really curious, other than easier bump starting what are the other advantages of the AD you speak of gray?

Bump starting is not just easy, it's ridiculous. You can get the bike to start if it's moving at 5 mph or less. This fact comes in handy when you brake stall the engine (everybody does this) coming into a corner or a slow section. With manual, you have to quickly pull the clutch, pull the compression release, drop the clutch to turn the engine, ease the release out, and snatch the clutch once the engine fires. It takes practice, and you don't always have room or speed for it. With AD, you simply pull the clutch and pop it again, and the bike starts right up unless you're at a near standstill already.

Although the bike does start better in most cases when positioned against the compression stroke and then kicked a full stroke, it's really not necessary to do that. You can simply kick the bike from anywhere in the rotation, and you can kick it multiple times in succession in necessary without any reset in between, just like a pinger.

If you find yourself stalled on a side hill with the downhill on your left, you can step off on the right side, stand next to the bike, and easily start it using your left leg.

It's not "that big" a deal to set up for the restart on a manual setup, but it's way simpler with AD. No drill, no setup, just kick.

• MotoPhotog

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:57 AM

great choice man! I love my 426...in fact I am going to go ride it now! and I second what a few others have said as far as once you get used to the decompression lever its a piece of cake to start....
and as far as the stripped oil pan, if thats the worst of your worries than I would say your in good shape!

Sorry i dont have pics up yet, but yeah vtwin, it is a very clean machine from what I gather. I went and used a 6 point socket, and longer extention and i actually got better leverage, and was able to get it out before it was toast!! :thumbsup:

I bought a new bolt from yamaha just to be sure :smirk: Now..... if it just wasnt 18 degrees outside, I'd go ride the damn thing. You know how hard it is to buy your first bike in over 10 years, and not be able to ride it???

• MotoPhotog

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:59 AM

while we r on topic of a 426..... Its been stiffened up by the previous owner which is good, I'm 210lbs, and I was curious air pressure.... It says 15 front and rear, right now I have it set at 15.5 front, 14 rear....... is this a good setting?

Also, where can i get some handguards WITH the plastic covers as well? I saw some acerbis ones at the stealership for 100 bucks. Damn, I wanted to spend like half that

• craigdieselmac

Posted December 15, 2008 - 09:39 AM

Ebay and patience

• MotoPhotog

Posted December 15, 2008 - 09:42 AM

Ebay and patience

thats a strange air pressure setting combo? :thumbsup: :smirk:

• Wiz636

Posted December 15, 2008 - 09:58 AM

while we r on topic of a 426..... Its been stiffened up by the previous owner which is good, I'm 210lbs, and I was curious air pressure.... It says 15 front and rear, right now I have it set at 15.5 front, 14 rear....... is this a good setting?

Also, where can i get some handguards WITH the plastic covers as well? I saw some acerbis ones at the stealership for 100 bucks. Damn, I wanted to spend like half that

For riding around western Washington at trail riding pace you can go 10psi in the back and 12psi up front.

I would avoid the Acerbis handguards...especially for $100 bones! Handguards take a beating...I would recommend that you go with quality there, like the Cycra Probends. They are more expensive but well worth it. You can find them on eBay.

• MotoPhotog

Posted December 15, 2008 - 10:03 AM

For riding around western Washington at trail riding pace you can go 10psi in the back and 12psi up front.

I would avoid the Acerbis handguards...especially for $100 bones! Handguards take a beating...I would recommend that you go with quality there, like the Cycra Probends. They are more expensive but well worth it. You can find them on eBay.

thanks for the tip wiz! I'll drop 2lbs in each tire for now and roll with that!

• Wiz636

Posted December 15, 2008 - 10:06 AM

I forgot to mention that when buying your handguards be sure to get them with clamps for the 7/8" bars instead of the 1-1/8" bars that are on the newer bikes. Unless of course your bike was convverted over to 1-1/8" bars.

• pscook

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:04 AM

Dang, Darren I had no idea you were going this route. I am still rebuilding the '02 426 in my garage, it should be ready to go over the holidays. If you need anything, let me know. I tore this one down to the crank and am getting the cylinder bored to a 444, no cam swap for me yet. It's going to be my SM weapon against you and Drake in Open Single, we'll see how it does in March.

I have some tools and knowledge ready, just ask. Welcome to the dark side! Oh, wait, you had a Yamaha already. Did you sell the R6?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.