WR426 Flywheel Weight

8 replies to this topic
  • trailscout

Posted December 11, 2008 - 04:06 PM

I'm thinking about adding some weight to the flywheel of my recently acquired 426 in order to smooth out the very bottom a little for the clutch and go semi-trials technical sections.

I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has tried extra flywheel weight on the 426/450 and if so what the results were.

thanks, harold

• trailscout

Posted December 13, 2008 - 10:12 PM

i'll try again just in case there's someone out there with an answer that missed the post.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted December 13, 2008 - 10:45 PM

The wr's already have a heavy flywheel. I've never read about anyone adding more wheight to one, but I'm sure you can. Maybe?

• trailscout

Posted December 14, 2008 - 05:37 AM

I have a 10 oz. kit made by Zipty, or his dad Terry. The flywheel has to be removed and drilled for installation. Thought I'd ask about the benifits if any that others may have experienced before going ahead with the installation.

Making the kit was quite a feat. They must have thought it provided something. It'd be interesting to know if Zipty used one when competing on the WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailscout

Posted January 20, 2009 - 06:58 AM

finally got around to installing zipty's flywheel weight on my newly acquired 01 wr426.

my impression: did not change the personality of the motor overall but made a dramatic improvement at stall rpms/stall situations.

• tntmo

Posted January 20, 2009 - 11:33 AM

Interesting. I have a Baja Designs 200 watt lighting coil for my WR400, but I haven't installed it yet since it adds flywheel weight and I wasn't sure I would like it. Sounds like it should work fine, guess I'll get busy lighting up the night!

• trailscout

Posted January 20, 2009 - 03:05 PM

200 watts is a lot! does the kit have both a stator rewind and a high energy flywheel? do you have a part number for the kit?

thanks, harold

• tntmo

Posted January 21, 2009 - 01:19 PM

200 watts is a lot! does the kit have both a stator rewind and a high energy flywheel? do you have a part number for the kit?

thanks, harold

I'm pretty sure they don't make it any more, but it's a Baja Designs external stator designed for the the YZ400/426. You just bolt a magnetic rotor to the flywheel with a extended bolt, this is 11 ounces so it should be similar to your flywheel weight. Then you have a new oversized billet aluminum cover that replaces the original case cover and you also have to replace the shift lever with one bent specifically for this kit. It has two 90 watt leads, so I guess it's (only!) 180 watts. I've had it in my garage for about a year so I guess it's time to hook it up.

• trailscout

Posted January 26, 2009 - 01:57 PM

interesting. what is the part number of the kit?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.