Programable Ignition

7 replies to this topic
  • yz480doinwork

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:26 PM

Im looking for a programable ignition box. i was looking at dynatek and there 450 modual only has 1 pre set ignition curve. if you want a different curve you gotta buy a programer for another $100. Is there anyother companys that make programable ignition deals?

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2008 - 06:09 AM

Vortex comes with several built-in maps you can switch between.

• SUnruh

Posted December 11, 2008 - 06:12 AM

so does the new MSD unit.

i know that jesse at williamsmotorwerx has them. and MSD is made here in the usa.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2008 - 06:13 AM

MSD is a good outfit. We used to use their ignitions in cars years ago. Good stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz480doinwork

Posted December 11, 2008 - 09:07 PM

thanks you guys! any one know any prices on those units? im looking for keeping my stock rev limmeter but i want to retard my timing. are they capable of this?

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted December 12, 2008 - 01:25 PM

I dont have any experience with the dynatek ignition on the 450 bike, but I used one of their programmable ignitions on my last YFZ450 drag quad and it worked awesome. I had it set up so that the rpm activated output would open the nitrous solenoids (sp?) at whatever RPM I set it to (that way I didnt have to have a button or microswitch in the throttle) and at the very same time it would automatically switch from the full advanced curve to a custom retarded one to prevent detonation when the spray was on since I was shooting a 25shot ontop of a 14:1 piston. That way it ran good when the nitrous wasnt on as well as when it was on. I had the rev limit set like 1000rpm higher than stock also but that was adjustable too.

I have heard good things about the vortex as well, but have never used one. I dont think you can do custom curves on the vortex though, but I could be wrong.

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 12, 2008 - 07:46 PM

i wish dynateks yz box was just like the yfz....ill have to look at those other brands........

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 12, 2008 - 09:04 PM

I dont have any experience with the dynatek ignition on the 450 bike, but I used one of their programmable ignitions on my last YFZ450 drag quad and it worked awesome. I had it set up so that the rpm activated output would open the nitrous solenoids (sp?) at whatever RPM I set it to (that way I didnt have to have a button or microswitch in the throttle) and at the very same time it would automatically switch from the full advanced curve to a custom retarded one to prevent detonation when the spray was on since I was shooting a 25shot ontop of a 14:1 piston. That way it ran good when the nitrous wasnt on as well as when it was on. I had the rev limit set like 1000rpm higher than stock also but that was adjustable too.

I have heard good things about the vortex as well, but have never used one. I dont think you can do custom curves on the vortex though, but I could be wrong.

so what your saying is you can have stock timing (or advnaced) and then at a certain RPM it changes your timing to retarding? sounds like just what i need. im putting an electrical system on my bike (flywheel,stator,battery) so would it be possible to run a YFZ box on my bike? whats the differences?

Edit: i looked at Vortex's box. everything looks pretty good accept the price:( $460...and i have a email sent to williams motowerx so ill see if i can get some info on the MSD ignition because i couldnt find it on MSD's web page....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.