2003 yz450f bottom end

13 replies to this topic
  • finthat

Posted December 10, 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hello people. Just bought a blown up 2003 yz450 with a golf ball sized hole in the front of the crank case where the rod decided to exit. Just wondering what others experience's are with have such holes repaired by a welder? I haven't split the cases yet but the hole is mostly on the right hand side with a small chunk out of the other. Is there any important passages in the front part of the case that may have been left where ever the engine let go?

Does anyone have a good place to find used cases. Ebay has none right now.

Thanks.

• yamaha 422

Posted December 10, 2008 - 06:20 PM

Get insurance through State Farm. Pay for about 6 months. Tell them a rock came up when you were riding on the farm for farm use and hit the case. You should get more money than you payed for thee bike.

• grayracer513

Posted December 10, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Get insurance through State Farm. Pay for about 6 months. Tell them a rock came up when you were riding on the farm for farm use and hit the case. ...

One of our customers tried that same thing. The adjuster came out and took a look, and the owner ended up on probation for a 1 to 3 year sentence for insurance fraud.

Yeah. That's good advice, alright.:thumbsup:

If the holes don't intersect the crankcase joint, it may not be too big a deal. If it does, the cases will have to be surface milled after the weld. There's no hidden passages in the front of the case, but you'll want to check for internal damage, too.

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:32 PM

do you have any of the peices that came out of the hole when she blew? if you have some and they are still kinda straight you can JB Weld it all back together! its crazy but it works! i have seen it done. never done it myself. i did JB weld a small hole up in my 250s case when i had it. works awesome. that stuff sets up and feels harder than the metal.

P.S. I would try finding a new case before you resort to this.

• Drav

Posted December 11, 2008 - 12:30 AM

Get insurance through State Farm. Pay for about 6 months. Tell them a rock came up when you were riding on the farm for farm use and hit the case. You should get more money than you payed for thee bike.

Yeah dude insurance fraud is awesome!

• finthat

Posted December 11, 2008 - 08:30 AM

No pieces. I am going to split the cases this week and see whats inside. I pulled what was left of the rod out of the hole and both end have broken off. The jug is marked up and I can see marks down the front of the case to where the hole is. There is also a round aluminum tube about an inch long that came out of the hole as well...not sure where that goes. I think I may be new case time but will know better after I split it.

Insurance fraud is great until you get caught.

• finthat

Posted December 11, 2008 - 12:01 PM

I doubt it will fit but has any one put a yzf and a yfz right hand case half side by side before? I found one and it is the one that is most damaged on my bike...??? will it work??? The part # don't match for the assembly just curious if the right sides are similar.

I have been comparing pictures of the right halfs from bike to ATV and do not see any difference.

I know they are a little different but how can the cases for a yz45f cost just about double that of a yfz450? There isn't that much difference in them is there??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2008 - 12:46 PM

There is a huge difference. To begin with, the YFZ case will not bolt into the frame, as the forward hard point is different. Also, the YZF stator won't fit the case, and the YZF ignition cover won't bolt on. I believe the quad transmission is wider, too.

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 11, 2008 - 01:04 PM

There arent too many options, I would just buy the cases and do a rebuild.

• finthat

Posted December 11, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thanks guys I'll have to go shopping I guess.

• finthat

Posted December 11, 2008 - 02:01 PM

Time to either bite the bullet or watch ebay for a month or two. Can't ride in the snow and I'm on the mend from surgery too.

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 11, 2008 - 09:05 PM

what was the reason the rod let go? was it heavaly modded or what?

Posted December 11, 2008 - 09:28 PM

My '03 had a similar "problem". The rod failed at the piston pin. I'll bet the round aluminum tube is part of the balance shaft that runs along the front of the engine. When the rod went on mine it came down and broke the balance shaft in half then put a hole in the case.

I think the total parts cost was about $900 and I got most of them at dealer cost. New piston, cylinder, cases, balance shaft, crank assembly, main bearings....there may have been more but thankfully time helps you forget. Good luck with the rebuild!

• finthat

Posted December 12, 2008 - 06:41 AM

what was the reason the rod let go? was it heavaly modded or what?

From what the guy I bought the bike from said it sounds like the reason the rod decided to exit was the handle bar to footpeg link.:smirk: also know as the dummy riding the rev limiter while trying to run from the cops :thumbsup: because he was riding on the road.

And both ends of the rod failed some how. I figure the piston end gave out first and with the road speed and traction on pavement (preventing a wheel lock-up) when the free end hit something hard like the edge of the jug it exploded the crank end of the rod. The engine has amazingly not to bad a damage from the loose rod jumping around inside. I 've see a jet ski four stroke saw the whole end of the engine off with that type of high rpm blow out. But they do have 2 other cylinders still driving I guess.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.