Making a 450 run like a Honda

15 replies to this topic
  • BDOG510

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:49 AM

08 CRF 450 rider here but used to ride Yamaha's and prefer their handling and suspension over all bikes.

Thinking about grabbing a smoking deal on a leftover 08 Yamaha, I know the suspension on the Yammy is awesome stock but what do I need to do to make it comparable motor wise to the Honda ie. better low end hit.

• grayracer513

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:53 AM

A good exhaust will take care of most of it. If you want more after that, use an exhuast cam from an '06. Still more? Multi-map ignition.

• erickdj

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:00 PM

08 CRF 450 rider here but used to ride Yamaha's and prefer their handling and suspension over all bikes.

Thinking about grabbing a smoking deal on a leftover 08 Yamaha, I know the suspension on the Yammy is awesome stock but what do I need to do to make it comparable motor wise to the Honda ie. better low end hit.

I think that for an 08 just adding a different exhaust will make it just as good if not better. Right after I bought my 08 I added a Dr.D exhaust, raced a honda on some hillclimb and totally left him eating my roost. The yz really puts down some serious power, it's just deceiving in its delivery.

• BDOG510

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:13 PM

I think that for an 08 just adding a different exhaust will make it just as good if not better. Right after I bought my 08 I added a Dr.D exhaust, raced a honda on some hillclimb and totally left him eating my roost. The yz really puts down some serious power, it's just deceiving in its delivery.

According to the dyno, it is down about 5 horses to the Kawi/Hon at low-mid

• grayracer513

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:42 PM

According to the dyno, it is down about 5 horses to the Kawi/Hon at low-mid

And according to a sheet I saw, a DRD Stainless system is good for 6+ at 5000 grand, with no loss on top. That funny little dip in the curve comes right out and goes convex in a big way.

• erickdj

Posted December 10, 2008 - 01:03 PM

And according to a sheet I saw, a DRD Stainless system is good for 6+ at 5000 grand, with no loss on top. That funny little dip in the curve comes right out and goes convex in a big way.

:thumbsup: what he said above.

That dyno "sheet" is run with the stock exhaust, so adding a different exhaust solves that little "problem".

• BDOG510

Posted December 10, 2008 - 02:15 PM

I will buy a DR.D with the money I save on suspension and call it good :thumbsup:

What are the stock springs rated for? I am 6'3 200 pds and ride Vet Int-Exp moto.

• grayracer513

Posted December 10, 2008 - 03:26 PM

You might be a tad heavy for the stock springs. The target range is from about 175-190 without gear. You should consider moving up a step at each end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Two-Six

Posted December 10, 2008 - 05:20 PM

I will buy a DR.D with the money I save on suspension and call it good :thumbsup:

What are the stock springs rated for? I am 6'3 200 pds and ride Vet Int-Exp moto.

I would get the suspension done and forget the pipe. I just had Chad at Total Control do my 06's suspension and its a dream. I set the sag at 98mm's, forks at 8mm and rode it, he told me to put the sag at 105 and I tried it , but like 98 better.

• erickdj

Posted December 10, 2008 - 05:52 PM

I would get the suspension done and forget the pipe. I just had Chad at Total Control do my 06's suspension and its a dream.

can't compare the exhaust from an 06 to the 08 exhaust. If it were an 06 then he could just forget the exhaust, but we're talking about an 08 here.

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 10, 2008 - 06:51 PM

can't compare the exhaust from an 06 to the 08 exhaust. If it were an 06 then he could just forget the exhaust, but we're talking about an 08 here.

How does the Dr.D compare to the stock '06 exhaust? I know you've run both on your '08.

• BDOG510

Posted December 10, 2008 - 07:39 PM

I would get the suspension done and forget the pipe. I just had Chad at Total Control do my 06's suspension and its a dream. I set the sag at 98mm's, forks at 8mm and rode it, he told me to put the sag at 105 and I tried it , but like 98 better.

Chad done my Honda and believe me the Yamaha stock is much better.

• rdefonce

Posted December 11, 2008 - 09:57 AM

Just boughy my '08 450, it came with an FMF full titanium powerbomb (with that "buldge in the header pipe) system including FMF Ti muffler. Never rode it with stock pipe. It has a great powerband but is my pipe comparable to the Dr D in power?

• motodreams

Posted December 11, 2008 - 10:11 AM

Great performance gains with the dr.d complete system... I have one on my 08 yz450.
Small design glitch, just a heads up. The header runs right in front of the top screw cover that holds your oil filter. Each time you replace your oil filter you have to loosen up the header pipe and push it up a bit. Just an fyi... at least on mine.

• erickdj

Posted December 11, 2008 - 01:37 PM

How does the Dr.D compare to the stock '06 exhaust? I know you've run both on your '08.

The Dr.D gives it an extra boost over the 06 exhaust, but nothing too dramatic vs. the 06 exhaust though. The only reason I bought the Dr.D was because the stock 08 unit is SO plugged up from bottom to mid, and the 06 exhaust belonged to the WR. If that weren't the case, I would not have spent the $500 for it. It's an improvement over the 06, but not a $500 improvement, at least not in my opinion. That's why I'm keeping the stock 06 system on the WR. I'd rather install an 06 yz cam on the WR to get a significant boost that would be a good bang for the buck.

• rdefonce

Posted December 12, 2008 - 06:03 AM

Anyone know how the FMF Ti system compares to Dr D?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.