Can You Dyno a Dirt Bike with a Dirt Tire on it

6 replies to this topic
  • HareAndHound98

Posted January 26, 2003 - 07:40 PM

I am not a numbers junkie, however I have made some real performance strides with my machine over factory power. I was curios what sort of numbers my bike would make. Havy any of you put a dirt bike on the dyno?

• yamafreek_hawaii

Posted January 26, 2003 - 10:42 PM

For tuning purposes you could but you will clean out your tire and the numbers will be less than expected due to slippage.

• Wrench

Posted January 27, 2003 - 01:51 AM

Depends on the drum. Most Bike Dynos can be bought with 2 drums one for street tires and one for dirt tires. You can always put a street tire on for test if they don't have the dirt drum

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Talonboy

Posted January 27, 2003 - 04:05 PM

I ran my XR650 on the dyno. No problems, didn't wear the tire. This was on a dynojet dyno, I think they ran it in 5th gear, strapped the back of the bike down with straps so slipage wasn't a problem.

• proud_2_ride

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:57 PM

the bike should be fine aslong as it is strapped

• 642MX

Posted December 06, 2006 - 07:17 PM

You will want to swap your knobby for a slick if you want to see accurate numbers from the dyno. Knobbies spin on a dyno, strapped or not.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted December 07, 2006 - 12:56 PM

If you plan to do alot of tuning on the dyno drum, the knobbies to wear fast. But a couple of "pulls" won't be much wear.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.