how to fix leeking water pump?

7 replies to this topic
  • minty0_10

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:54 AM

while ago i spotted some antifreeze on the floor under my bike (05 wr450)
not a lot but still had me thinking,
anyway at the time i had a good look about and there's a small hole under the water pump casing it looked to be coming from there.
after asking around i was told its probably the water pump seals so question one is this right?

anyway ive bought the parts my dealer said i need 2 seals a a bearing so im going to have a bash at it tomorrow.

is there anything i need to know like is the water pump left or right hand thread?
is the bearing pressed into the casing or anything?
how do i go about getting it out?
i supose im asking if anyone's done the job and if themes any tips i need to now?
do i have to drop the engine oil and remove the header pipe?

thanks guys any imfo will be very helpful

• SUnruh

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:55 AM

water pump shaft seal on the coolant side.

• Dube2

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:18 AM

while ago i spotted some antifreeze on the floor under my bike (05 wr450)
not a lot but still had me thinking,
anyway at the time i had a good look about and there's a small hole under the water pump casing it looked to be coming from there.
after asking around i was told its probably the water pump seals so question one is this right?

anyway ive bought the parts my dealer said i need 2 seals a a bearing so im going to have a bash at it tomorrow.

is there anything i need to know like is the water pump left or right hand thread?
is the bearing pressed into the casing or anything?
how do i go about getting it out?
i supose im asking if anyone's done the job and if themes any tips i need to now?
do i have to drop the engine oil and remove the header pipe?

thanks guys any imfo will be very helpful

I did mine. Pretty easy. Just take your time. Yes, remove the header pipe and right side case. My header pipe bolt needed to be replaced anyway. Then come to find out that the oil filter bolt thread needed to be re-taped, kinda bugered up after so many oil changes. Heck just tear it apart to do some preventative maintenance anyway.

I replaced all seals on that side since open, but didn't touch the bearing. 3-hours and $25 parts. Clean off a nice spot on the bench, grab a cold one, set the boob toob to Fuel TV and just take your time. I did mine on the kick stand, Ive heard of others doing it with the bike on it's side. That way you don't need to drain the oil, unless it time for a change anyway.

• minty0_10

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:30 PM

do you have to remove the water pump its self?
is it left or right hand thread?
how do i know if it worth changing the bearing and both seals?
would have thought once your in there be better to do it all how do i know whitch seal has failed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dube2

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:46 PM

do you have to remove the water pump its self?
is it left or right hand thread?
how do i know if it worth changing the bearing and both seals?
would have thought once your in there be better to do it all how do i know whitch seal has failed?

Good Question, I don't remember. I can tell you that it wasn't any big deal at all.

• minty0_10

Posted December 10, 2008 - 02:11 PM

i do have a genuine yamaha wr manual....... ive yet to find a use for it.........:thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted December 10, 2008 - 03:06 PM

Do a search. There are a couple of threads with pictures.......

• minty0_10

Posted December 10, 2008 - 03:21 PM

had aq look the only thread i found with phots has had them deleted:banghead:
as they say a photo is worth a thousand words.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.