Best Skid Plate for 2008 WR450F

24 replies to this topic
  • BajaFool

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:10 AM

I just returned from a ride in Mexico on my new 2008 WR450F. It did not take long to discover that the stock skid plate does not adequately protect the left-hand crankcase cover (it has the oil filler plug in it). I have an expensive crack as proof. Who makes the best skid plate to protect the engine from further expensive hits? Suggestions from personal experience would be helpful, as pictures of skid plates in parts books often do not show how they will fit on the motorcycle. The crank case part number is unique to the 2008 WR450F, so something makes it different from the 2007 WR450F crank case cover. Great ride until I hit the rock.

• race32

Posted December 10, 2008 - 10:09 AM

I'm using the Flat land racing one now I also like the GYTR.

• desdave

Posted December 10, 2008 - 10:49 AM

I have a flatland racing on my 08. Great coverage, easy access to filter and drain plugs. Bolted on in 5 minutes.

• markseaba

Posted December 10, 2008 - 10:54 AM

Utah Sports, they make the one TT sells, they are great. IMO, best deal for the dollar

• William1

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:18 AM

Flatland

• trailhead2004

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:38 PM

I have the GYTR and my buddy has the Works Performance. I bought the GYTR because of cost, about $85 less than the WP. It's not bad but I too have banged the oil filler cap on a rock. It's a little thinner aluminum than the WP. The WP is also boxed better so I believe it is far superior to the GYTR.

IOW, the GYTR is adequate but the WP is the one I would choose if I had to do it again. No experience with the Flatland though.

trailhead2004

• Kirkster

Posted December 10, 2008 - 03:24 PM

I use a flatlands and really like it. One thing I did to mine was take a plastic trash can, cut it to fit the inside of the skid plate, then glued it in place with hi temp silicon. It made a huge of difference in the amount of motor noise reflected back at you by the skid plate.

• foxomatica

Posted December 10, 2008 - 05:25 PM

Moose is what I use and it is great.

• WR_Dave

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:17 PM

There is some good pics and info in this old thread. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=475387 WR Dave.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:40 PM

The crank case part number is unique to the 2008 WR450F, so something makes it different from the 2007 WR450F crank case cover.

I think it's just a different color... there black on the 08' right?

Anyway, I have the GYTR on my 07' and while I have not had anything get broken.. (not for lack of trying) I think there are skid plates that offer wider coverage.. I know the GYTR does not do much to protect the water pump.

I've always liked the looks of these scorpions, see this post -

http://www.thumperta...hlight=scorpion

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jams229

Posted December 11, 2008 - 02:19 PM

The E-Line skid plates are pricey but do a good job. Just make sure you line up the rearward hole correctly.

• Justin Pearson

Posted December 11, 2008 - 02:42 PM

Flatland are lighter (thinner and have weight reduction holes) they are brushed and clear anodized. USC (Thumpertalk) skids are thicker and stronger at the expense of weight. Both do a good job of protecting cases. Here is a link if you are interested in purchasing a TT plate:

http://shop.thumpert.../bp_tt_skid.htm

As for Flatland we dont have the skid plates listed in our store (just the rad guards) but feel free to call us if you would like to order one @ (866)674-6788

• mvryder

Posted December 11, 2008 - 02:56 PM

The E-Line skid plates are pricey but do a good job. Just make sure you line up the rearward hole correctly.

I just got one and it will not fit for the life of me. I really looks like they designed it to fit a YZ and not a WR (even thought it is advertized to fit fit the aluminum frame YZ450s and WR450s. How on earth did you get yours to fit? The plate seems like it will offer good coverage if it will fit.

• S1rst

Posted December 11, 2008 - 04:50 PM

I have a gadget skid plate on mine. Does the job well, and its took a few big hits with no problems........

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Kirkster

Posted December 11, 2008 - 05:17 PM

I have a gadget skid plate on mine. Does the job well, and its took a few big hits with no problems........

You must not have any mud where you ride... :thumbsup: :smirk: :smirk:

• tribalbc

Posted December 11, 2008 - 05:59 PM

The scorpion IS great coverage but I think it could be a little thicker gauge aluminum.
Or I'm just hard on skidplates :thumbsup:
Here's mine after one season.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• desdave

Posted December 11, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Race bikes take a harder beating than a play/trail bike. Stuff you'd go around or be careful over get slammed in a race. I'd say your skid plate has done it's job will....those divets would be in your frame and cases without it. I put a guard over everything they make on for, and replace the chain guide with a plastic one from bpr (or tm design works) just in case.

• tribalbc

Posted December 11, 2008 - 07:50 PM

Race bikes take a harder beating than a play/trail bike. Stuff you'd go around or be careful over get slammed in a race. I'd say your skid plate has done it's job will....those divets would be in your frame and cases without it. I put a guard over everything they make on for, and replace the chain guide with a plastic one from bpr (or tm design works) just in case.

I agree, but compared to skid plates I've had in the past, racing as well, it does tend to get deeper divets.
Still the best fitting and design I've seen for a WR though. I would buy another one, but I would like to see them just a hair thicker.

• desdave

Posted December 11, 2008 - 08:24 PM

I've used flatland on my last 3 race bikes, including the new WR. Each fit great and took the hits. Funny that something so crude can generate so much discussion. In the old days (only slightly before my time) guys would make skid plates for their Triumph desert sled out of a coal shovel. Not pretty, but it worked, and thats what counts.

• BajaFool

Posted December 11, 2008 - 10:19 PM

Justin Pearson,
It's down to Flatland or the TT Store skid plate. The links to view these two skid plates do not have photos of the left side of the motor with the skid plate installed on the motorcycle. TT Store photo is of a Yamaha skid plate mounted on a 2006 WR450F, not the same frame or engine as is found on a 2008 WR450F. Flatland skid plate is made of 3/16 " material, with no mention of grade or heat treat of aluminum. TT Store skid plate is made of 5/32 - 1/4 '' material "depending on application" and no mention of grade or heat treat of aluminum. Knowledge is power. I only want to buy a skid plate for my motorcycle one time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.