YZF or WR 450?

12 replies to this topic
  • MontysDRZ400

Posted December 09, 2008 - 04:30 PM

I have a DRZ400 and love my bike; But I want a new bike for serious riding. I ride traill, desert and the occasional motocross track. I want to get a WR but I was thinking about the YZF. My question is this, If I go with the WR, what will I need to do to unplug it? Or What can I do to the YZF to smooth out the throttle?

• tunefx

Posted December 09, 2008 - 07:48 PM

Monty, best to do a search on this as you will find a great deal of discussion already. For what it's worth, I ride an '07 WR here in Virginia. I take it to the track occasionally to ride--not race. Most of my time is spent in the mountains. I enjoy it a great deal in both places. However, if I spent more than 75% of my time on the MX track I would get the YZ.

Again, do a search on the mods and comparison. You wil be reading all day or night. There are a lot of great people here you will learn from.

Both are great bikes IMHO.

• Deserthound

Posted December 09, 2008 - 08:47 PM

I was in the same boat when I bought my bike. I do most of my riding in the desert with occasional trails and I love the WR. It is very easy to open up the WR to have comparable power to the YZ and it already has the gearing, suspension and heavier flywheel that makes it a great trail/desert bike. Oh ya, don't forget about the magic button. :thumbsup:

• mikeythefokker

Posted December 09, 2008 - 09:13 PM

If you do a lot of motocross riding then the yz is the way to go, but if you spend more time off the track, and on the trails, then the wr will treat you a lot better. It has a lot more features that will suit you better, like a heavier flywheel, lights, e starter, wide ratio transmission, 18" rear tire, and softer suspension that does well offroad. Opening them up is pretty easy, and the free stuff works really well. Spending a few bucks will yield a real screamer. Never having to kick it is f**king priceless.

• brad the best

Posted December 10, 2008 - 06:21 PM

that e-start is nice when you stall in a creak full of boulders and you don't even get your feet wet because you already started it .

if you want a headlight and a e-start get the wr . don't worry about the weight im a 150 lbs kid with cancer so if i can throw it around you shouldn't have a problem . its probably lighter then the drz anyway .

i love my wr .

• magiksc

Posted December 10, 2008 - 10:39 PM

After hitting moab a few times on my 06 YZF 450, I would say WR for sure. I mainly ride tracks so I would not give up the YZ for that reason. But the new WR's are so much better that you'd be way happy with one for sure. I see tons of the WR's in moab doing some gnarly climbs and trails. And that e-start makes life a lot easier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:54 PM

I have a DRZ400 and love my bike; But I want a new bike for serious riding. I ride traill, desert and the occasional motocross track. I want to get a WR but I was thinking about the YZF. My question is this, If I go with the WR, what will I need to do to unplug it? Or What can I do to the YZF to smooth out the throttle?

I think the WR crosses over to MX better than the YZ crosses over to off road for most people. The reason why I say that is you can do suspension and engine mods to the WR to get it to work on an MX track but no matter what you do to the YZ it'll always be kind of an animal. Some people like that...coming off a DR-Z you may not appreciate that :smirk: The only way to know for sure is to ride both. :thumbsup:

Food for thought...a wet/armored/ready to ride WR 450f weighs about 270 lbs. Leaning it side to side and picking it up by the fender a "ready to rock" WR feels at least 20 lbs lighter than a "dry" DR-Z 400E. The 400S feels like its made of tungston compared to the WR. I think you'll enjoy the light feeling of these new AL framed WRs. Of course, the YZ feels like a feather compared to either the WR or the DR-Z...almost 2 stroke like really.

As far as unplugging the WR here are the basics:
-YZ throttle stop
-removing the gray wire
-Opening the airbox
-exhaust (many different options yielding different results)
-Jetting/adjustable fuel screw
-Disabling/removing the smog crap.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 11, 2008 - 12:02 AM

I think the WR crosses over to MX better than the YZ crosses over to off road for most people. The reason why I say that is you can do suspension and engine mods to the WR to get it to work on an MX track but no matter what you do to the YZ it'll always be kind of an animal. Some people like that...coming off a DR-Z you may not appreciate that :smirk: The only way to know for sure is to ride both. :thumbsup:

I assume that any bike will need suspension work unless you weigh a buck seventy or so. Even if its sprun correctly, the valving may need to change.

I think that a yz is pretty darn good offroad. Its less weight, how can you argue with that. You'll definitely be dancing on the shifter though. That will annoy you more than anything when you ride the yz450 off road.

But riding both is a great idea. That's the only way to be sure.

• WGP

Posted December 11, 2008 - 08:18 AM

I switched from a 05 WR to the 06 YZ a year ago for trails, it is a better bike for me.

You just have to put the heaviest flywheel weight in it to tame it down.

Once you do that the only difference I found is 1st gear on the YZ is like 2nd gear on WR.

If you ride fast and aggressive you will love the YZ, if you tend to take it easy get the WR.

The deciding factor for me was the suspension. The YZ suspension is amazing right out of the box.

I thought the e-start would be missed, but it hasn't, the YZ starts first kick everytime:thumbsup:

• wartsnuff

Posted December 11, 2008 - 09:46 AM

I agree, probably easier to make the WR sorta ridable on the track then the YZ on the trail.. that 4 speed short throw tranny!

cheers
Warts

Food for thought...a wet/armored/ready to ride WR 450f weighs about 270 lbs. Leaning it side to side and picking it up by the fender a "ready to rock" WR feels at least 20 lbs lighter than a "dry" DR-Z 400E. The 400S feels like its made of tungston compared to the WR. I think you'll enjoy the light feeling of these new AL framed WRs. Of course, the YZ feels like a feather compared to either the WR or the DR-Z...almost 2 stroke like really.

As far as unplugging the WR here are the basics:
-YZ throttle stop
-removing the gray wire
-Opening the airbox
-exhaust (many different options yielding different results)
-Jetting/adjustable fuel screw
-Disabling/removing the smog crap.

• erickdj

Posted December 11, 2008 - 01:57 PM

I think the WR crosses over to MX better than the YZ crosses over to off road for most people.

In my case, I'd have to disagree with that. Using my yz off road at the same places I ride my WR is an absolute blast. The only "off road" add-ons on my yz are the radiator guards. I didn't miss the e-start, light, flywheel weight, transmission from the WR at all. The yz felt right at home in the trails and in the woods.

no matter what you do to the YZ it'll always be kind of an animal. Some people like that...

I sure do like that. The yz is cheaper, lighter, and leagues more powerful in stock form. If it weren't because of the red/green sticker California BS I would have gone with the yz to begin with.

I'm not hating on the WR, it's an awesome bike and I enjoy it immensely when I ride it. Unplugged it is also an authentic powerhouse, the e-start is a blessing on hills and muddy places, and the transmission is great for low or high speeds and just about everything in between. Different bikes for different purposes, I consider myself lucky that I was able to afford both, so there's no compromise.

• MontysDRZ400

Posted December 11, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Thanks to everybody for the input! I think that I am going to go with the WR. The mods needed to unplug it were the same that I did to my DRZ. Plus at 220 I have to have the suspension done anyway! Thanks again.

• psmith85

Posted December 11, 2008 - 05:25 PM

I have an 06 WR450 and an 08 YZF 450. I have ridden both in the desert, the trails and the MX track. In the desert, the YZF suspension will wear you out if you are doing 60-100 miles and the lack of e-start and lack of side stand just add to the overall fatigue at the end of the day. If you MX only 10-20 % of the time, get the WR. The WR will be sufficient for MX, just don't expect it to jump like a strict MX bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.