freezing pipe

9 replies to this topic
  • RER97

Posted December 09, 2008 - 04:16 PM

when you freeze a pipe to get the dents out of it what are people using for the ends so the water doesn't come out.

• Wiz636

Posted December 09, 2008 - 04:27 PM

Nothing. The water on the ends freezes first forming it's own plug.

• RER97

Posted December 09, 2008 - 04:45 PM

im confused do you put the pipe vertical in the freezer than add water do you fill it full wouldnt leak out?

• motomanmike26

Posted December 09, 2008 - 04:54 PM

You can buy plugs from Home Depot or Lowes. Some people just use tape, Or bottle caps(H20 water bottle caps, gatorade bottle caps, anything that has a cap, ect). A buddy of mine just jammed a potatoe on the end until the pipe froze then pulled it out an let the pipe sit. I would recomend doing this but whatever works for you.

• Poppy_103v

Posted December 10, 2008 - 01:59 AM

If the dent is on the bend, you can just fill it and stand it up like a horseshoe in the freezer. Just tape the collar up so it doesnt slide down and get wedged when the bend freezes.
I don't have a before pic, but this bend was a taco before I froze it.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kylwk1500

Posted December 10, 2008 - 05:27 AM

ya i just usually use tape. be very careful. monitor it's progress. I (admitadely) froze my megabomb to long and cracked it. not a good move ha

• motomanmike26

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:34 PM

ya i just usually use tape. be very careful. monitor it's progress. I (admitadely) froze my megabomb to long and cracked it. not a good move ha

Yes, thats another thing, once its frozen you want to keep an eye on it, check it every 10 minutes atleast. It might take a couple times to get it perfect(i mean freezing it, then thawing it, then doing it again).

• grayracer513

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:55 PM

It's advisable not to force it to thaw, either, as titanium can be a bit brittle at low temps. Leave it in the sun, or stick it in some 70 degree water. The process may require 3-4 reps.

• hillclimbguy

Posted December 10, 2008 - 10:17 PM

It's advisable not to force it to thaw, either, as titanium can be a bit brittle at low temps. Leave it in the sun, or stick it in some 70 degree water. The process may require 3-4 reps.

This is good to know. Thanks Gray:worthy:

• endurodog

Posted December 11, 2008 - 04:11 PM

FWIW when I have done this I have used no plugs and it works just fine. I don't fill it all the way to the top, set it in the freezer so nothing can spill out, and it has worked like a charm. I even did this with my 2 stroke pipe last year, luckly I have a large freezer that can fit a 2 stroke pipe in. The 2 stroke pipe didn't come out as good as the 4 stroke pipes I have done but it does work for those also.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.