starter for 04

2 replies to this topic
  • waterman7474

Posted December 09, 2008 - 10:34 AM

my starter has taken a complete crap. it makes this crazy squealing noise (like a pig is caught in the gears) and won't hardly turn the motor over. i thought it might be jammed so i pulled the starter clutch cover off, pulled out the gear, hit the starter and got the same noise.

i'm pretty sure that battery is good (charger says it's good), so any other thoughts on if it might be something else?

if not, anyone have any thoughts (other than the dealership) where i can get a new one without getting hosed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • waterman7474

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:30 AM

#2 one has replaced a starter...!?!?!

• BajaFool

Posted December 10, 2008 - 10:11 AM

OK, I will reply. Could be that a bearing has given up the ghost. There have been several upgrades to the starter from 2003-2009. Dealer is the only ball game for a new starter. Ensure that they give you the latest part number replacement. Some on ThumperTalk have actually successfully rebuilt the starter. You can do a search, it was however, several years ago. You might take it to a competent auto electric shop and see if they can rebuilt it. It is a pricey part, approx. $209.00. Check, you will have to call them, their on-line ordering system for Yamaha parts is down. Check the ThumperTalk Parts Store also.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.