Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:22 AM

From Rocky Mountain

Tusk Flywheel Puller 24mm
Fits: 2008, YAMAHA, YZ450F
Regular: $19.99
Our price: $14.95
Part# 1179010001

Darnit ordered 10 minutes ago and JUST saw your post.:banana:
Oh well at least I gave TT Store my biz.

• MikeyT750

Posted January 24, 2009 - 05:06 PM

Anyone running the Tsubaki Cam Chain? That is some serious dough for a Cam Chain. Would it be worth the money? I am thinking probably not but I havent seen anyone talk about it yet.

• russward

Posted April 03, 2012 - 06:40 AM

2008 YZ450F,

Here is a tough one guys. Time for rebuild. Replaced piston, rings, pin, clips,cam chain and gaskets. Put it back together and clank! Sounds like piston is about to fly out of jug. Pulled it back down to find that all three intake valves are kissing the top of the piston. No damage but I've got to figure out why there were hitting. Now here is where it gets weird. The following measurements were before rebuild.

Sitting on the bike, far left intake was .13mm, center intake, .28mm, far right intake, .28mm.
Far left exhaust, .20mm, right exhaust .20mm.

Now, owners manual says intake tolerance .10 to .15- exhaust tolerance, .20 to .25

Took bike to shop to have them shim it for me. I measured just before install and they were .15 intake and .20 exhaust. I'm happy so here we go. Starts right off the bat but knocking like your head board while riding a two dollar lady of the night!

Where do I go now? Put it back to where it was before rebuild??

• crf450319

Posted April 03, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Anyone running the Tsubaki Cam Chain? That is some serious dough for a Cam Chain. Would it be worth the money? I am thinking probably not but I havent seen anyone talk about it yet.

I replace my cam chain every 40-45 hours, I've looked at the Tsubaki chain and a couple others that are almost 4X the cost of an OEM Yamaha chain but can't find any information/specs that show any sort of empirical data on either chain. Gray has posted before that the Pro-X cam chain and OEM Yamaha are both produced by Borgwarner I believe ?

For the difference in price and no available data showing one to be better than the other, I just replace my OEM chain more often. Once you have the tools (flywheel puller) it doesn't take more than 45 min to do if you're taking your time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2012yz450f

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:30 PM

hey I did the valve adjustment on my 2008 Yz450F, the Valves were way over the max limits,, now I brought my bike in the tight spec, Intake 0.004" and exhaust 0.008"  put the bike back together, started her up, and sounded really smooth, and the next thing I know my head pipe is going red, after idling for 3 mins I shut it down.. waited until 5 mins, and tried to start it, started first kick. same thing happened again, the head pipe goes red.  

hey I did the valve adjustment on my 2008 Yz450F, the Valves were way over the max limits,, now I brought my bike in the tight spec, Intake 0.004" and exhaust 0.008"  put the bike back together, started her up, and sounded really smooth, and the next thing I know my head pipe is going red, after idling for 3 mins I shut it down.. waited until 5 mins, and tried to start it, started first kick. same thing happened again, the head pipe goes red.  

Sorry, I am new to this site, and not sure where to ask for help, as I thought it would be okay to do it here.

• 2012yz450f

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Sorry, I am new to this site, and not sure where to ask for help, as I thought it would be okay to do it here.

• 2012yz450f

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Here is a video i Uploaded, so you guys get a better idea of what I am trying to say.

http://s37.photobuck...ia/030.mp4.html

• usp4u

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:01 AM

This has been discussed dozens of times and is in the FAQs at the top.  Its normal.  Don't let your bike sit and run that long though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.