2008 YZ450 Valve adjustment help

Yamaha YZ450F

47 replies to this topic
  • gtxkid

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:28 PM

I always find at least one out of speck.
All my bike were.
I am kind of picky, i even took a couple of 185's and used 600 grit wet and dry paper on a piece of glass to make a 183 and a 184.
i like perfection.
Heat has a little to do with it too Desert gets hotter than the Colorado Mountains.
I would make adjustment at room Temp

• MikeyT750

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:59 PM

Grey-Yes it has compression and will turn over with the ratchet with ease.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2009 - 08:47 AM

Grey-Yes it has compression and will turn over with the ratchet with ease.

Which is it? If it turns over, but comes up against a "hard spot" as the piston starts upward, forcing you to push harder to get past it, it has compression. If you say it turns over easily, it sounds like it doesn't.

• MikeyT750

Posted January 04, 2009 - 09:19 AM

Grey- I meant to say that it turned over easily with no binding. Anyways I pulled the head off this morning and found a broken intake valve that was sank into the head. Posted Image Posted Image
Sucks! New Head is a definite right? I have seen one of your posts that you mentioned a head restore shop but do you think they would be able to help me out on this one? The Cylinder looks fine so I lucked out there, but a new piston and ring will definitely be going in with the new head. I already have a new cam chain on the way so that's good. Anything else besides gaskets and such you think I am going to need? Thanks for all he help. The crazy thing is that the bike has about 21hrs on it!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2009 - 09:42 AM

If you're going to tell me that had compression, I'll be forced to laugh. :thinking:

But, yes, EDCo can fix that. Call them and arrange to send it out.

• MikeyT750

Posted January 04, 2009 - 10:20 AM

You got me on the compression. Not sure what I was feeling. Maybe it was just hopefull thinking. Thanks for the link and advise

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 19, 2009 - 09:18 PM

good thread!

• yzfjbw323

Posted January 20, 2009 - 07:54 AM

So what caused the failure?

• MikeyT750

Posted January 20, 2009 - 03:56 PM

I personally think that the Cam Chain was loose and the bike jumped time but don't quote me on that. When I bought it the guy had just had the valves checked by his mechanic. He said that the cam chain will need to be replaced soon but I will be fine for a while. I guess 4 rides and 3 hours was a little more than a while. The crazy thing was that the bike ran without a nitch of noise or warning... Then KAAAA-BOOOOMMMM. Thank god I just landed and was not on the face of a jump.

• Lorre79

Posted January 22, 2009 - 04:03 AM

My new 450, just rode in.
The 2 exhaust cam's 0.02mm to small
1 of the 3 intake's 0.02mm to small.

Thats allready an explanation foor the decell fire's I guess

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2009 - 07:15 AM

Thats allready an explanation foor the decell fire's I guess

No, it's not.

A certain amount of decel backfire from a YZ450 is entirely normal. If it pops off a few times during decel in an irregular manner, it's an indication that the pilot circuit is set up about right. It should do that some of the time, and sometimes not, depending on altitude and weather. If it's excessive, i.e. a steady stream of popping every time you back off, it's probably lean.

Tight intakes can cause a lean idle, but only when they are well below spec, and by the time they do that, they should be causing extreme hard cold starting, and a "hanging" idle.

Remember that excessive popping is very often caused by an air leak in the front half of the exhaust.

• Lorre79

Posted January 22, 2009 - 02:23 PM

it was a new bike, no intake of air at the beginning of exhaust.

Ik thought if the valve adjustment is too bad, intake/exhaust are the same time open. We call it "valve overall". Normally a car is always running with a little bit of exhaust gas + new air/fuel mixture. In extreme situations, the fresh mixture can go in the exhaust.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2009 - 02:39 PM

Valve clearance would have to be very far off to alter valve timing to a significant degree, and both the intakes and exhausts are normally open for about 80 degrees as the engine goes over TDC at the end of the exhaust stroke as it is.

The most common place for an exhaust air leak is at the joint between the header and mid pipe.

• Lorre79

Posted January 23, 2009 - 01:40 AM

I always put some "copper grease" on it.
It's protected up to 1100°c

• rdefonce

Posted January 23, 2009 - 10:53 AM

I personally think that the Cam Chain was loose and the bike jumped time but don't quote me on that. When I bought it the guy had just had the valves checked by his mechanic. He said that the cam chain will need to be replaced soon but I will be fine for a while. I guess 4 rides and 3 hours was a little more than a while. The crazy thing was that the bike ran without a nitch of noise or warning... Then KAAAA-BOOOOMMMM. Thank god I just landed and was not on the face of a jump.

Man you're scaring me now, I better get a new cam chain for my used 450 before it happens to me.:-o

• rdefonce

Posted January 23, 2009 - 08:17 PM

You read this one, then?

http://www.thumperta...405#post3150405

It was written for an '05 or earlier model, so ignore the part about removing the stator plate.

Gray, good ref for cam chain replacement. I'm ordering a chain tomorrow AM, but I DON'T have a puller for flywheel . . . do you have a recommendation for a decent low-cost one, or do I have to order the actual factory Yamaha tool?
Thanks,
RD

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2009 - 09:24 PM

If your YZF is '05 or before, it takes one puller, which happens to fit most Japanese MX 2-strokes too, and if it's '06 and up, it uses the same one as a CRF450. Either puller should be readily available at a good shop for $20 or so.

If it's a late model, you might look at this:

http://www.thumperta...850#post5462850

• rdefonce

Posted January 24, 2009 - 08:52 AM

If your YZF is '05 or before, it takes one puller, which happens to fit most Japanese MX 2-strokes too, and if it's '06 and up, it uses the same one as a CRF450. Either puller should be readily available at a good shop for $20 or so.

If it's a late model, you might look at this:

http://www.thumperta...850#post5462850

Yes it is a late model . . . any year CRF450F? (I found one on Thumpertalk but it doesn't have a year noted)

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2009 - 09:36 AM

Check listings at Motion Pro or somewhere. I believe they are all the same.

• Kalar01

Posted January 24, 2009 - 10:05 AM

From Rocky Mountain

Tusk Flywheel Puller 24mm
Fits: 2008, YAMAHA, YZ450F
Regular: $19.99
Our price: $14.95
Part# 1179010001

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.