best helmet mounted headlamp?

26 replies to this topic
  • yamaha542

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

I am looking to get a headlamp for the helmet for night riding. What do you all like and why? I do mostly tight trail riding and half the time its PITCH black. :thumbsup:

• TmanTman

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

Trail Tech SCMR 16 HID, Spot focus
http://trailtech.net...light_kits.html
I have both the helmet and bar mount for this light... hands down the helmet light configuration wins.

• Wiz636

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

I use the Solstice by Cyclops. It is a MR-16 HID light and gets two hours on a single battery. It is BRIGHT!

Also, Cyclops Motorsports is a strong supporter of offroading and they have very good customer service.

http://www.cyclopsmo...uctsLights.html

• CRF2eR

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

Posted Image

I use my trail tech helmet lights every night when I go for my "midnight motos". They work GREAT, and are super bright. I've had them for about three years now, and they still work like new.
http://trailtech.net/3122-SF-LB.html

Trail Tech is based in Washington, right in your backyard...
Randy

• watermoccasin

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

I use the TrailTech MR16 HID helmet light, and get 2.5-3 hours from the Li battery. Both TrailTech and Cyclops are great companies to work with, great customer service, and both have been at the 24 Hours of Starvation Ridge providing free support for the past several years. And I haven't seen any helmet light better than the 30 watt MR16 HID bulb.

• Doofus007

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

My vote goes to Niterider's headhunter model (40w HID). The run time on it is nearly 4 hours and it's relatively modest weight is a big plus. They make a model called cannibal that has user controlled light level settings also.

• eastreich

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

I've been using the NiteRider "Skull Splitter" setup which is a Cannibal and Headhunter combined for dual HID (with one spot and one flood beam). It is a nice setup, light, and bright. I will say that the NR switches are junk. I would say that of the guys I ride with, 6 of us have NR lights, and more than half of us have had the switches fail.

But I will be getting the Cyclops Solstice shortly to replace my NR setup...

I race the Ridge as well and am not happy about NiteRider pulling support from them, so I am going to go with those that still support us. When I first got my NR stuff, they still showed up out at the Ridge to offer support. This year I had a power cord fail on me with my NR setup in the dark this year and thus rode a lap without helmet lights. I was not happy. If that had happened to me with a Cyclops/Trail Tech light I would have been able to get it all fixed/serviced right there. But since the NR guys bailed, I will be going elsewhere with my money.

The Cyclops and Trail Tech guys are great to deal with, and offer phenomenal support. More than one guy on the two teams that we took to the 24hr this year leaned on them for help and bike lighting setup and got great service right on the spot.

I should point out that I do use Trail Tech for all phases of the lighting requirements on both of my bikes.

There are actually a lot of helmet light manufacturers out there, they just all mostly focus on the MTB crowd (i.e. NiteRider). It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. If you do a google search on "helmet light comparison" you will probably end up with more information than you really want to try to read!

• yamaha542

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

Is the flood or spot the way to go for the scmr16? I have my yz setup with a stator and a fork mounted headlamp (08 wr headlight) if that helps the decision, mabie...... try before i buy.... i wish!

• eastreich

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

It is a matter of preference, but for me if I had to choose between either a spot or flood for the helmet knowing that I have a light that is fork mounted I'd choose the spot every time.

You can see the close stuff with the light on the bike, but the real advantage (IMO) is with a spot on the helmet. When standing you can pick out obstacles and see corners that are way out there. But then again, I am usually racing in the dark, or with a bunch of buddies where the trail ride turns into a race, so that is a real necessity.

If you aren't going that fast, or are in terrain that is sight line limiting anyway (trees for instance) the flood is the better option.

• henrics

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

I use these.
Posted Image

Homemade double 70mm 35w HIDs.:thumbsup:)

Bought the housing(is that right word?) from http://www.letro.se/...sp?prodid=20929
and a hid kit from ebay.
+A cuple of hours in the garage.
You could also buy the ready for racing but they are very expensive.

• watermoccasin

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Is the flood or spot the way to go for the scmr16? I have my yz setup with a stator and a fork mounted headlamp (08 wr headlight) if that helps the decision, mabie...... try before i buy.... i wish!

Absolutely get the spot for a helmet mount. It's what the TrailTech guys recommend and I agree. I ran a helmet-mounted spot as my only light for 4 years (including 24hr races), just added a second SCMR16 spot on the bars a year ago. Am considering switching the bike-mounted light to a flood just to try it, but having the spot on the helmet is magic because it really illuminates where you're looking (flood wouldn't work well at higher speeds; spot works great from 1st gear twisties to 5th gear flying).

• outthumped

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Scr16 Spot. I love it, but have never tried any onther brands. I just had to send mine back yesterday and I am heartbroken. The service is great so far.
I ride mostly tight trails and the spot is perfect.; it really is more of an adventure at night.
Good luck.
OT
Oh by the way I have the 40 watt Hid. It is avalible only if you ask.:thumbsup:

• off road rider

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

Nice seeing all your guys setups, henrics looks like it puts out some serious power. Are you running that from your bike??
The mr16 based HIDs are the way to go.. watch out there are NO mr11 based HIDs that even come close to 40 watts.. all are 13 watts at best.. true draw
mr16 based HIDs are available in 30 or 40 watts,, true draw. Look for Luman output..
Always use a spot for helmet mounted lights, floods are a waste.

• henrics

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:59 AM

Nice seeing all your guys setups, henrics looks like it puts out some serious power. Are you running that from your bike??
The mr16 based HIDs are the way to go.. watch out there are NO mr11 based HIDs that even come close to 40 watts.. all are 13 watts at best.. true draw
mr16 based HIDs are available in 30 or 40 watts,, true draw. Look for Luman output..
Always use a spot for helmet mounted lights, floods are a waste.

Powering from my wr450f ,floating the ground and a trailtech regulator no other mods.

• lairpost

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

I run TrailTech MR11 on helmet (2 spots) + 45w halogen headlight + 2 - 20w halogen 'MTB' MR11 on my handlebars. The mix makes for nice light, all HID is way too blue/white, terrain details get washed out, mixing in lots of halogen watts is much better in my opinion. The MR11 helmet lights are much smaller too...less chance of wacking them on branches in the tight single track. Stock 08 TE powers it all easily without any mods.

• Wiz636

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:04 PM

But I will be getting the Cyclops Solstice shortly to replace my NR setup...

I race the Ridge as well and am not happy about NiteRider pulling support from them, so I am going to go with those that still support us.

The Cyclops and Trail Tech guys are great to deal with, and offer phenomenal support. More than one guy on the two teams that we took to the 24hr this year leaned on them for help and bike lighting setup and got great service right on the spot.

Nite Rider was pissed because at the 2007 24 Hours of Starvation because their vendor spot got crowded in by racer's campers and they didn't feel that they got the exposure that they should have. The thing is, instead of trying to work something out they got all pissy about it and basically just gave off bad vibes all weekend.

I agree with the Cyclops support...they had a table of quick chargers set up for anybody to use, which I did. Even though Darryl (off road rider on TT) had his own team to deal with he was still helpful to everybody. They also support the Buttstomper 24 hour race at Reiter in the summer.

• Old Skool Rider

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

Yama542,
Look like you are in WA too.. not sure if you are western or eastern part of the state.

I got a light set up last year... Cyclops. Great product and great service.

A number of the guys I ride with use them all winter to ride at night. The HID is not as good for single track type terrain. The Halogen set up is what was recommended to me. I have only used it a few times (hard to get away during the week with my schedule). Riding at night or just extending your weekend days and getting a bit more trail time before it’s too dark is fun.

• off road rider

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Yama542,
Look like you are in WA too.. not sure if you are western or eastern part of the state.

I got a light set up last year... Cyclops. Great product and great service.

A number of the guys I ride with use them all winter to ride at night. The HID is not as good for single track type terrain. The Halogen set up is what was recommended to me. I have only used it a few times (hard to get away during the week with my schedule). Riding at night or just extending your weekend days and getting a bit more trail time before it’s too dark is fun.

I hope you can get out more, I try to do a night ride at least once a week,Well maybe every other week.
If anyone in W. Wa wants to come along let me know.. where moving into snowbike or sled season so most every thursday night we'll be heading over the natches to wisling jacks.. Ive got loner lights..
Thanks for the kind words guys. Much appreciated:thumbsup:
I often do recommend the Halogen 50 watt mr16 for tight trails at lower speeds. There are some new HID technologies that makes that a much harder choice..For more open terrain or faster trails, the lower kelvin HID are tough top beat. Always try to get a light with a kelvin color below 6k..
many of the mr11 based HIds are more than 6k. thats where the blue hue comes in..

• makKX250

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

I almost picked up a Cyclops at the 24 hr this year. I have a trailtech now and they have provided great support but I really like the Cyclops helmet mounting system and battery setup better - you can daisy chain the batteries together and extend the burn time of the light.

• Red_Barney

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

Dual Trail Tech MR 11's. Trail Tech Extreme bike light. Very good company to deal with.

Paul

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Sitting or Standing for Racing in the Woods? by Bturner44

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Off-Road Riding Technique
  • Hot  111 replies
Forums
Photo

Excessive engine braking? by Scralatchtica824

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
Trail Etiquette- Hand Signals - last post by Bryan Bosch

Trail Etiquette- Hand Signals

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Tips for off road riding by Chris669

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Cliff Riding by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.