Should I do anything else with the rear shock?

3 replies to this topic
  • bluebreadtruck

Posted December 08, 2008 - 03:27 PM

Today I took out my rear shock for the first time to add a heavyer spring for my weight.

I was not too smart when i unscrewed the bottom of the shock and had oil shoot everywhere.....then I saw the notch in the spring holder plate...

SOOO I have to send the shock out to have an "oil change".....

Would it really be worth it to have any other revalveing work done? I just trail ride, and dual sport with the occasional jump.....

• Xr650rhonda

Posted December 08, 2008 - 03:48 PM

Today I took out my rear shock for the first time to add a heavyer spring for my weight.

I was not too smart when i unscrewed the bottom of the shock and had oil shoot everywhere.....then I saw the notch in the spring holder plate...

SOOO I have to send the shock out to have an "oil change".....

Would it really be worth it to have any other revalveing work done? I just trail ride, and dual sport with the occasional jump.....

I'm trying to figure out how you got the oil to come out by just changing the spring, Is the Wr400 and Wr450f shock that different? I would figure you would have to release the nitrogen and then press down on the seal to remove the c clip. What about changing the oil and seals yourself with a step by step video

http://www.motopower...com/Yamaha.html

It's not that bad, I changed my oil and seals last weekend, a couple of hours. I have nitrogen, but a shop will charge it for you for a small fee. Just a thought.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desdave

Posted December 08, 2008 - 05:01 PM

He thought you have to disassemble the shock to get the spring off. But for your question, my personal recommendation would be to have it revalved to match the spring. That begs the question as to how you determined what spring would be right for your weight/skill/riding type?

• bluebreadtruck

Posted December 09, 2008 - 06:15 AM

Whell, i had bought a factory connection spring and used their reccomended chart.

I wasent aware that i could even rebuild this myself.....It dident leak or anything before.
Thank you very much.....If I can, I can get my brother, who works in HVAC to recharge it with nitrogen. THANKS GUYS!

OK, i checked that link but does anyone know if there are any FREE youtube shock writeups, or a thread step-by step like the front forks?....I had no problem rebuilding those!

I can have an "oil change" done through factory connection for $80.....BUT i would love to know how to do it myself!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.