100 Hour Big Bore Rebuild Questions

7 replies to this topic
  • motoxpsych

Posted December 08, 2008 - 11:54 AM

I have an 06 450 with 100 hours on it. I have decided to keep it and rebuild it to last at least another 100 hours. I am not the greatest mechanic but havea friend who is very proficient and will help me do the rebuild. I'm thinking about going with the Athena 480 kit. My questions are what else besides the kit (cam chain etc.) should I consider replacing. Also, I have also considered just going with a high compression piston and not doing the athena 480 mods. Just for the record, I want more low-end and would sacrifice a little top end to get it. Any advice??

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2008 - 03:32 PM

The big bore will produce the biggest gains, but both approaches will beef up the low end. Using a heavier flywheel will also improve power in the extreme low ranges, and is very advisable in the case that you go with the big bore kit.

You might also read this:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=720732

• motoxpsych

Posted December 09, 2008 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the fast response and the additional link. I am also going to change out my chain and sprockets. I did have 13/50 gearing.Would the big bore athena do better with stock 06 13/49 gearing?

• 2 stokes for life

Posted December 09, 2008 - 03:49 PM

Possibly the vlaves and springs depending on clearance wear. If you do valves get steel valves for longevity (not that Yamaha is know for that issue) and possibly a set of HotCams stage 1 for more over all power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2008 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the fast response and the additional link. I am also going to change out my chain and sprockets. I did have 13/50 gearing.Would the big bore athena do better with stock 06 13/49 gearing?

The big bore will work better with stock or higher gearing.

• motoxpsych

Posted December 10, 2008 - 03:09 PM

The big bore will work better with stock or higher gearing.

Thanks, stock it is.

• Jon-D

Posted December 10, 2008 - 07:05 PM

contact Travis D37 on this site. he owns Thumper Racing and is very experienced and knowledgeable at engine building. he built me a KTM (yes, I know, its not a YZF) 470 motor with some other mods and bike hauled the mail - controllably. I always got great starts with that bike and I made allot of ground when racing the uphill's at Glen Helen.

• motoxpsych

Posted December 12, 2008 - 12:32 PM

contact Travis D37 on this site. he owns Thumper Racing and is very experienced and knowledgeable at engine building. he built me a KTM (yes, I know, its not a YZF) 470 motor with some other mods and bike hauled the mail - controllably. I always got great starts with that bike and I made allot of ground when racing the uphill's at Glen Helen.

Thanks for the info.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.