Baja Designs or Trail Tech regulator/rectifier

12 replies to this topic
  • 05-WR450F

Posted December 08, 2008 - 03:51 AM

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about either of these units? The Canadian company I deal with carries the Trail Tech so that would be the easiest to get for me.

On another topic: I am using the Baja Designs multi-function switch; anyone have any issues running full headlight power through the switch? I was going to use separate relays but it doesn't look like I have the room to mount them all. I will never be running anything more than the stock headlight.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 08, 2008 - 07:12 AM

I will never be running anything more than the stock headlight.

On my DS 06, I ran the Baja Designs rec/reg and it worked great.

EDIT: They are one in the same, see my post below for more info

• KennyMc

Posted December 08, 2008 - 07:19 AM

+1 on the Baja Designs. I had tried the Trail Tech and it didn't fit as it was said to. It still hit by fork tube when the steering was turned. They tried to core out some of their mounting holes so it fit with the wires pointing to the outside. This was a better idea but it didn't work. Called them and they said, we tried it on an 07, it should fit. They didn't want to come over to my house and give it a try though. The Baja Design one fits with the wires towards the frame but there is no issue with contact/rubbing.:thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted December 08, 2008 - 11:58 AM

I used the Trailtech unit on a 650R with no problems. I like the fact that it has the wiring diagram printed right on the side of the unit and also has the blue wire (which I don't believe the BD unit has) which runs overcharge to the battery back to the reg/rect. It does come in contact with the fork tubes at full lock. Some people have taken a dremel and ground down the edge of it. I currently have one for my '08WR that will be mounted to the underside of the airbox. It's a perfect fit and totally sealed so no worry about water affecting it.

• 05-WR450F

Posted December 09, 2008 - 04:54 PM

2 votes for Baja Designs, 1 for Trail Tech.

• William1

Posted December 09, 2008 - 05:19 PM

I run a BD on my WR, fits fine, works like a champ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 09, 2008 - 06:11 PM

after doing some research for my other thread on stators, i have come to learn that the two rectifiers/regulators are one in the same.

in the begining, Trail Tech used to supply Baja Designs with the reg/rec. Some time after 2004, Baja Designs sent the Trail Tech unit off to china to be reproduced. Trail Tech still builds theirs in house.

• Birdy426

Posted December 09, 2008 - 08:14 PM

I have one of each...BD on my son's 250 and Trail Tech on my 426. Both work well.

• trailhead2004

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:51 PM

I have the Trail Tech on my '08, not sure what years the others have. One issue I noted with the TT is that the Rectifier/Regulator is rather thick and some modification to the mounting bracket on the frame was needed.

The reason for this is that the Trail Tech R/R is significantly thicker than the stock one. When I first mounted it, the thing hung out so far that I could not go to full lock on the left, the fork tube hit it. What I ended up doing was removing the rear half of the bracket with a cutting disc and a little of the threaded bosses so the R/R would fit in between them. Check the pics, I know it's a little hard to see but I think you'll get the idea.

After I did my installation, I emailed Trail Tech with my comments and shortly thereafter, they started removing a little of the mounting tab thickness on the R?R. I'm not sure whether it was due to my comments or not, but they bought us a little room for the bolts with that change.

Best of luck!:thumbsup:

trailhead2004

Operationally, the Trail Tech is fine, never had any problems with it.

http://i289.photobuc...G_5145_64kb.jpg

http://i289.photobuc...G_5144_64kb.jpg

• 05-WR450F

Posted December 10, 2008 - 05:07 PM

Ordered a trail tech today. Will let you know how it fit. May move it to the airbox if it doesn't fit properly. Does it get very hot?

• tweav

Posted December 10, 2008 - 06:34 PM

It did not fit on mine right either .I have mine mounted to the stock ais air valve bracket , the wires reach there with no mods . and it's out of harms way up under the gas tank.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted December 10, 2008 - 08:29 PM

It did not fit on mine right either .I have mine mounted to the stock ais air valve bracket , the wires reach there with no mods . and it's out of harms way up under the gas tank.

Do you know if it will fit in there with an oversized tank like the IMS?

• tweav

Posted December 10, 2008 - 10:13 PM

Do you know if it will fit in there with an oversized tank like the IMS?

I have a IMS tank on my bike . so yes.

sorry I don't have a real good pic of it mounted the bike is not here right now.
Posted Image

the stock location
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.