Trailer floor coating ideas

22 replies to this topic
  • white boy15

Posted December 07, 2008 - 05:38 PM

I just got a new enclosed trailer. I would like to coat the floor so that it is not just the bare wood. What have other used with success/ failure? Don't wanna spray liner it cause I think it will be hard to keep clean and pretty expensive. Was thinking about some type of garage floor coating or epoxy paint. How well does this stuff adhere to wood?

• Chickenhauler

Posted December 07, 2008 - 06:28 PM

I used a good wood sealer to waterproof mine-painted floors end up looking beat up and scuffed fairly quickly.

• SMarquez

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:27 PM

There is a one part epoxy floor paint at Home Depot or Lowes. $27 a gallon and it went 2 coats and the ramp on a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer. I mixed some non skid sand for the ramp and rolled it on. Don't mix the non-skid until you are finished with the two coats on the floor. Mine hung in pretty good and touch ups are easy.

• jcsjr

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:52 PM

I used frp on mine, frp is a fiberglass sheet, I glued it down and used stainless strips to cover the seams. It is very very durable, you can power wash it and it cost $28 for a 4x8 sheet at menards.

• scooter42

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:58 PM

I used a two part epoxy gray and then sand in the last coat and it has held up all for the sopt of VP that spilled and had hours to soak into it. I have spilled all types of gas and oils and power washed it and it has done great. If I get the gas off right away, or it dries in minutes it does not hurt it. For low cost and decent results, I would do the epoxy with grippy sand again.

• motomoey

Posted December 08, 2008 - 06:38 PM

I did the herculiner two years ago and never had a problem.I have 6 x 12 with ramp door,did the floor,ramp,and a foot up the walls with the herculiner.Bought it at wal mart.Hauling around four bikes kx125,kx250,kx65,jr50.

• white boy15

Posted December 08, 2008 - 07:40 PM

How did you guys prep the floor for the epoxy garage floor paint? Did you fill your seams with anything to make the floor look as if it is all one piece?

• scooter42

Posted December 08, 2008 - 08:43 PM

broomed it out. Rolled it on.

I recommend painting the walls white with an oil based paint. It will seal the walls and make it bright inside while allowing for power washing off grime. It will look great for years. Plus a throw away brush and the leftover paint=easy tough ups.

• Upinthetrees

Posted December 10, 2008 - 09:45 AM

I just got a new enclosed trailer. I would like to coat the floor so that it is not just the bare wood. What have other used with success/ failure? Don't wanna spray liner it cause I think it will be hard to keep clean and pretty expensive. Was thinking about some type of garage floor coating or epoxy paint. How well does this stuff adhere to wood?

Heres a write up I did on mine. I think you will find it helpful. My floor still looks great and I havent slipped once loading or unloading the bike, wet or dry.
http://www.thumperta...closed trailers
Bruce

• Sheriff245

Posted December 12, 2008 - 02:41 PM

I went to the flooring store and got the thickest linoleum available for my box van. It holds up to anything except sharp objects and it looks as good as new after 6 years.

• Farmr123

Posted December 12, 2008 - 04:39 PM

If you go the epoxy, be sure to add a non-skid additive, as they get VERY slick if oily.
Myself, I would look at the 'horse mats' people put in livestock trailers to cushion horse's hooves. It is a rubber mat the width of the trailer (available up to 8 feet wide) that you lay on the floor. You just roll it out to clean with a power washer, and it covers the boards, and fills in any cracks. As a bonus, it is non-skid, dampens noise, and will last forever in a toy hauler. Look for one that stays pliable in cold weather, and get it in one piece.
Not as 'neat' as the epoxy coating, but fairly cheap, durable, easy to install, and removable if you want it to be.
One thing I have been told about wood floors is you may not want to totally seal off the top layer, as moisture from road spray gets underneath, and the moisture attacks the wood from the bottom. With the top sealed, there is no real way to dry it out. That is why they recommend the rubber mats, you roll them up when not in use, so the wood can 'breathe' and dry out.
However, this may not be necessary in your climate, so take it for what it's worth.

• SMarquez

Posted December 13, 2008 - 01:47 PM

If you go the epoxy, be sure to add a non-skid additive, as they get VERY slick if oily.
Myself, I would look at the 'horse mats' people put in livestock trailers to cushion horse's hooves. It is a rubber mat the width of the trailer (available up to 8 feet wide) that you lay on the floor. You just roll it out to clean with a power washer, and it covers the boards, and fills in any cracks. As a bonus, it is non-skid, dampens noise, and will last forever in a toy hauler. Look for one that stays pliable in cold weather, and get it in one piece.
Not as 'neat' as the epoxy coating, but fairly cheap, durable, easy to install, and removable if you want it to be.
One thing I have been told about wood floors is you may not want to totally seal off the top layer, as moisture from road spray gets underneath, and the moisture attacks the wood from the bottom. With the top sealed, there is no real way to dry it out. That is why they recommend the rubber mats, you roll them up when not in use, so the wood can 'breathe' and dry out.
However, this may not be necessary in your climate, so take it for what it's worth.

I don't think it's a problem to seal the floor. I have an open box trailer that I am replacing the floor on. I had 15 years on the particle board floor and that trailer sat out in the rain all that time. The only problem was in 2 corners about 6-7 inches had rot.

• SMarquez

Posted December 13, 2008 - 01:58 PM

How did you guys prep the floor for the epoxy garage floor paint? Did you fill your seams with anything to make the floor look as if it is all one piece?

If you want to fill the seams, use a caulk that is paintable and flexible. I think you might get some expansion and contraction with the weather changes. My trailer has some sealant at the edges but I don't know what was put in it.

• brad the best

Posted December 13, 2008 - 11:59 PM

i would hurculine it , if you use epoxy mix some sand into it and it will have grip .

• GENE426

Posted December 14, 2008 - 12:03 AM

black and white checkered floor 12x12 tiles are good and cheap
looks lik ethe finish line flag

• YZrider143

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:07 AM

The black and white checkered looks really good. I used Vinyl Composite Tiles or simply known as VCT, they are tough and very durable.

• Farmr123

Posted December 15, 2008 - 01:11 PM

I don't think it's a problem to seal the floor. I have an open box trailer that I am replacing the floor on. I had 15 years on the particle board floor and that trailer sat out in the rain all that time. The only problem was in 2 corners about 6-7 inches had rot.

That may not be a problem in California, but here in Nebraska, it is something to consider. If you seal only the top of the floor, road salt, mud, and moisture will eat up the floor twice as fast as one that is allowed to dry out between uses. I think the problem is the road spray thrown up from underneath, especially on salted roads, and non-paved roads like we have around here.

• SMarquez

Posted December 15, 2008 - 03:48 PM

If you can soak your floor from the bottom up, you must be pulling it underwater!! Just seal the bottom as well. Use the same stuff. Check with your local trailer builder and see if they seal the outside.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 21, 2008 - 06:43 PM

I used a thick rubber matt I bought at Tractor Supplly. Works great. And because the matt is ribbed the back of the bikes dont bounce around.

Posted Image

• anvilair

Posted December 21, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Inexpensive roll on Herculiner from Pep Boys. I have used it in my wood shed and man that stuff is great. it seals all the cracks and cleaning is a hose off and done!

It is messy to put on but durable and cheap.

seals and protects and is totally NO SKID or SLIP.

My opinion, but man it has held up great for 3 years in a WELL used outdoor woodshed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.