08 WR450 fork seals gone already........

19 replies to this topic
  • S1rst

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:43 PM

I bought the bike with around 10 miles on it, and have done around 500 miles myself, with around 100 miles or so of those off road, mainly light trails.

Anyway, whilst cleaning the bike today ive noticed both my fork seals are leaking!!! Now its a long time since i had this type of bike but i cant remember the fork seals going after such a short time.

So, is there any special tools im going to need for the job or is it reasonably straight forward as ive never done fork seals before. How long should it take roughly to do both, in case i have to get a dealer to do it for me?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

• sausage boy

Posted December 07, 2008 - 05:53 PM

they probably just have some dirt or grit in the seal, its a comom problem with the WR forks ( and most 48mm forks). just take the dust cover off then take a feeler guage run it round the inside of the fork seal, between the seal and the fork tube. if you don't want to use that you can buy a special thin piece of plastic from your local bike dealer to do the job. next you need to go out and buy some fork seal skins.

• dirtrider999

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:46 PM

or just take a plastic pop bottle and cut it up and use that with some WD40 and clean around the inside like he siad

• S1rst

Posted December 08, 2008 - 04:45 AM

Ah right, that sounds good. Ill give that a try and hopefully that will sort it. Fingers crossed! Cheers. :thumbsup:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted December 08, 2008 - 08:45 AM

I've heard you can use old 35mm film negative strips to try and whipe the seals clean.

• oldmanx

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:32 AM

I use plastic sheets from the laminator machine at work. SHHHHH!!!! I run them through the machine so that they heat bond together, w/o having any paper in between. They can be cut w/scissors to the width/length/shape that you need. You can even cut the shape of a hook onto one end...saw some type of "seal saver" that was made this way.

• desdave

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:07 PM

Look for a nick in the fork leg....one so small you can barely feel it can make the seals leak slightly. Only a little oil makes a big mess.

• Snakko88

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:09 PM

Ive found an old narrow steel 6' tape measure cut down works best for me!
It already has the right curve to suit the fork on it.......

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 08, 2008 - 01:33 PM

I've heard you can use old 35mm film negative strips to try and whipe the seals clean.

I usually use this method as I think the sprocket holes on the film will actually capture and allow you to pull out the offending grit... only problem now is the lack of 35mm film in today's digital world......
If you do change seals just make sure you have your manual and a do a search here you will find many cheap alternatives to the prescribed Yamaha seal driver. It's easy to do.... and as far as longevity, it all depends on where and how you ride... a lot of guys also swear by seal savers.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted December 08, 2008 - 06:39 PM

We have been covering the forks all the way around for years.No seal problems.With out the covers,the seals dont last 6 months in BAJA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dustdogg

Posted December 08, 2008 - 07:29 PM

Go with Seal savers. I put them on my bike and my forks have been dry ever since.

• trailhead2004

Posted December 09, 2008 - 01:56 PM

Motion Pro make a little doohicky called the Seal Mate for cleaning gunk out of the fork seals. List is only $5.00 so it's not too expensive.

Everyone's ideas to make one are great if you have the right material, they shouldn't be too hard to shape. If you can get the plastic, give it a try.

trailhead2004

• S1rst

Posted December 10, 2008 - 06:17 AM

Ok, how do i get the dust seal out??? Does it just push in tight? Seems stuck solid and i dont want to force it out and damage it. Thanks.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 10, 2008 - 10:20 AM

Ok, how do i get the dust seal out??? Does it just push in tight? Seems stuck solid and i dont want to force it out and damage it. Thanks.

They are just press fit in... take a small flat blade screw driver and pry at the seam between the the dust seal and the outer fork tube... :thumbsup:

• Dube2

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:06 AM

HUH, not sure why but my 05 blew the seals out on my second ride and then my 08 did the same thing? Very strange. The Seal MAte Doohicky thing from motion pro is good to have in the tool box but in my case it didn't work. Haven't had a sel problem since. Replaced with stock OEM parts too.

Go figure. I'm gona get the seal savers for both one of these days.

• S1rst

Posted December 10, 2008 - 04:17 PM

They are just press fit in... take a small flat blade screw driver and pry at the seam between the the dust seal and the outer fork tube... :usa:

Yeah i did exactly that after a bit of head scratching mate. :smirk: Cheers.

Anyway, ive cleaned them out using a cut up plastic bottle which seemed to work pretty well. I couldnt actually see much dirt come out though, if any at all, but i gave it a good blast round the block and it 'seems' to have done the trick (touch wood!). Bone dry after about 10 miles of hard riding. Ill have to wait and see what happens after the next off road ride. Fingers crossed! :busted:

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

• Steve Doulames

Posted December 12, 2008 - 11:10 PM

I have a 06 KX450F. Seems like I need to replace the fork seals every 6 month (riding once a week on local tracks). Been sending it out but would like to do it myself. I am pretty good mechanically just never worked on forks before. Any suggestions on finding literature on how to do it? I am sure I could figure out how to get to the seals. More concerned about oil levels, etc.

• godhappan

Posted December 14, 2008 - 07:07 AM

http://www.dirtbikew...ead.php?t=16751

• Steve Doulames

Posted December 14, 2008 - 08:34 AM

Thanks nappahdog. The link is exactly what I was looking for.

• S2P

Posted December 14, 2008 - 02:03 PM

I know when I got my 426 the previous owner gave me a block of wood for the forks. Seems he blew out a couple of sets of fork seals while tying down the bike for hauling(compressed the shocks all the way). I have had no problems with my seals in 2 years, since he showed me that. I know you can buy fork savers,but the 2x4 works also. I never had to do that with my old bikes,so just throwing that out there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.