cam chain hard to get on?

21 replies to this topic
  • niterider40

Posted December 07, 2008 - 03:16 PM

I'm trying to get the cam chain on for the first time and I can't seem to fit the two cams in their spots with the chain on. Is this as tricky as it seems? I watched a few dvds and am putting a used engine in a 426 the engine had the head off and I'm a beginner, thats why I sound so lame, what am I doing wrong? I took the chain tensioner out.

• Smokeslider

Posted December 07, 2008 - 03:47 PM

make sure the chain is set on the crank during this, if it's riding high, then that would cause you to have the described problems. Also, double check you have the right Cam chain.

• KJ790

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Make sure you take the cam chain tensioner out first. I find it is easiest if I put one cam in with the chain looped over it, then tip that cam down (so the sprocket side is pointed down a little) and put the other cam under the chain and drop rock them both back into their respective places. I try to do it so that the timing is as close as possible first try, then adjust them however is necessary to get the right timing. It can be tricky at first.

• BC3

Posted December 07, 2008 - 08:17 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]This is a job that is seldom done by a beginner...Do yourself a favor and get some help from someone that has experience...
Bent valves and wasted time can be your alternative trying to do it yourself... [/COLOR]

• rexbond007

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:17 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]This is a job that is seldom done by a beginner...Do yourself a favor and get some help from someone that has experience...
Bent valves and wasted time can be your alternative trying to do it yourself... [/COLOR]

every one has to learn some time, i did my first valve job and timing chain on my bike 5 years a go, i enjoyed the challenge to learn, thumper talk forum is about learning off each other.

• JimmyBee

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:38 PM

Make sure you take the cam chain tensioner out first. I find it is easiest if I put one cam in with the chain looped over it, then tip that cam down (so the sprocket side is pointed down a little) and put the other cam under the chain and drop rock them both back into their respective places. I try to do it so that the timing is as close as possible first try, then adjust them however is necessary to get the right timing. It can be tricky at first.

x 2:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2008 - 07:48 AM

It is tricky, and the advice given so far is accurate, but one thing hasn't been mentioned. It is possible that the cam chain may have a free link looped under the crank because ti was moved around too much while the cams were out. Remove the flywheel and stator to verify and/or correct.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...405#post3150405

• matt4x4

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:07 AM

What Grey said - but also - I found if you tip both cams down and inward, slide the chain over and tip them back and straight it works best for me. I mark a spot on each chain/cam with paint marker so lining them up when putting it together is easy.
If replacing the chain at the same time, then mark the crank/chain area as well, once the chain is off, count off your paint marks and copy them exactly to the new chain and put it all back together - it's easiest that way and goes together right first try.

• niterider40

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:36 AM

Thanx TT members, you guys never fail to help. I hope I learn enough to give advice some day..

• BC3

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:50 AM

every one has to learn some time, i did my first valve job and timing chain on my bike 5 years a go, i enjoyed the challenge to learn, thumper talk forum is about learning off each other.

Hey that's cool...when he destroys the head you will send him a check to repair it.......Right? Just trying to save the kid some GREEN.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matR

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:56 AM

A little harsh don't you think? If your not going to help, why not send him the $$$ so he can bring it into a shop and have it fixed then:excuseme: I find it rewarding fixing something. Listen to the guys here and i'm sure you'll get some good pointers and do fine. I was a beginner when I did the top end on my Honda and it cam out great, it was a real pain to get the cam chain on though. Just make sure to double and triple check your work.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2008 - 11:20 AM

The MOST critical aspect of this job, or any other involving the removal of the cams, is PROPER TORQUE of the cam caps. Follow the manual carefully, limit the torque to 75 in/lbs instead of the 86 called for, and torque it up in 3 steps.

• BC3

Posted December 09, 2008 - 07:25 PM

A little harsh don't you think? If your not going to help, why not send him the $$$ so he can bring it into a shop and have it fixed then:excuseme: I find it rewarding fixing something. Listen to the guys here and i'm sure you'll get some good pointers and do fine. I was a beginner when I did the top end on my Honda and it cam out great, it was a real pain to get the cam chain on though. Just make sure to double and triple check your work.:thumbsup:

Dude, before you go Balistic on my reply read it.....It said get one of your friends that has experience to help you...I have been helping folks on this
forum for 6 years and have seen what the down falls are for the ones that fail.
You are an exception I'm sure, and good for you on that...But being a motorcycle mechanic for 25 years I kinda understand the level of difficulty.
Take some time and read some of my earlier POSTS...

• Smokeslider

Posted December 09, 2008 - 10:11 PM

Dude, before you go Balistic on my reply read it.....It said get one of your friends that has experience to help you...I have been helping folks on this
forum for 6 years and have seen what the down falls are for the ones that fail.
You are an exception I'm sure, and good for you on that...But being a motorcycle mechanic for 25 years I kinda understand the level of difficulty.
Take some time and read some of my earlier POSTS...

That California Smog getting to you?..... Talk about disgruntled...

• YZERIK

Posted December 09, 2008 - 10:27 PM

Dude, step it off the guy is right. getting a hand from someone experianced is always a good idea. now in your case Chad, I suggest professional help....

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2008 - 10:39 PM

Do I need to close this thread?

• BC3

Posted December 10, 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hey Chad I guess after 6 years of helping people I am DISGRUNTLED as you put it......Especially when someone who doesn't even know me or anything about my history in this trade jumps my azz about what works and what doesn't...I don't see you helping the kid with advise, all I see is a guy with 277 posts giving the old experienced guy a BAD time....And Oregon will have smog soon enough......

Have a nice day

• BC3

Posted December 10, 2008 - 06:46 AM

Do I need to close this thread?

Yeah you probably do.....This is why I hang out in TS....

• Smokeslider

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Not needed to close the thread. BC3, I didn't intend to get you even more riled up, It just seemed to me that your first reaction to the first question was stating that there was no way this guy should do it himself, and my point now is that, with some minor experience, he could do this job himself. I know this could be possible because I was in his shoes once as well. With the factory manual, a digital camera, and this great forum, he could do this himself. I found your comments a bit offensive and condescending but what do I know, I only have 277ish posts.

Now, back to the thread.
Chad

• rexbond007

Posted December 10, 2008 - 04:08 PM

Not needed to close the thread. BC3, I didn't intend to get you even more riled up, It just seemed to me that your first reaction to the first question was stating that there was no way this guy should do it himself, and my point now is that, with some minor experience, he could do this job himself. I know this could be possible because I was in his shoes once as well. With the factory manual, a digital camera, and this great forum, he could do this himself. I found your comments a bit offensive and condescending but what do I know, I only have 277ish posts.

Now, back to the thread.
Chad

thanks Chad,

i have been here since feb 03 and i have done everything myself with some learning curves. if you follow the manual and check your work, post some posts everything will work out!

Rex

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.