2003 kx 125 help, advice, tips, and info?

11 replies to this topic
  • MxRacerZach

Posted December 07, 2008 - 11:37 AM

hey im pretty new to TT my last bike was a 2002 yz 125 but had to sell i now have the money to get another bike and i rly like the 03 kx 125's i rode my friends and fell in love i was just wondering if anyone had any input on these thanks

• Twitch yz125

Posted December 07, 2008 - 11:39 AM

why sell a 125 and buy another 125??

• crider400

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:23 PM

First of all, the 125 is entirely new from the ground up in 03'. Even the engine was designed from scratch. The frame is entirely new. It has new wheels, and several new components, such as new rear brake master cylinder, new rear swingarm, new reed design, new carburetor (Mikuini TMX "Kai" -- the bore is tapered from 38mm to 40mm, and features a unique throttle slide shape), the rear hub is new, the ignition is new, the airbox is new (with increased volume and straighter intake tract), and the clutch is new. Believe it or not, this just scratches the surface on the changes to the 125.

Design goals for the KX125 included a more compact chassis, lighter weight and more, broader power. Kawasaki also claims a lower center of gravity for the 2003 KX125. Overall, the KX125 is six pounds lighter, and should feel much smaller, as well. Reversing a trend for modern motocross bikes, the seat height is more than one inch lower. The mid-section of the bike (see picture below of the 250 -- sharing the same mid-section) is also much slimmer.

Kawasaki is staying with a six-speed transmission on its KX125, realizing that many customers use the bikes for more than just motocross.

• Kawiguy602

Posted December 07, 2008 - 08:32 PM

First of all, the 125 is entirely new from the ground up in 03'. Even the engine was designed from scratch. The frame is entirely new. It has new wheels, and several new components, such as new rear brake master cylinder, new rear swingarm, new reed design, new carburetor (Mikuini TMX "Kai" -- the bore is tapered from 38mm to 40mm, and features a unique throttle slide shape), the rear hub is new, the ignition is new, the airbox is new (with increased volume and straighter intake tract), and the clutch is new. Believe it or not, this just scratches the surface on the changes to the 125.

Design goals for the KX125 included a more compact chassis, lighter weight and more, broader power. Kawasaki also claims a lower center of gravity for the 2003 KX125. Overall, the KX125 is six pounds lighter, and should feel much smaller, as well. Reversing a trend for modern motocross bikes, the seat height is more than one inch lower. The mid-section of the bike (see picture below of the 250 -- sharing the same mid-section) is also much slimmer.

Kawasaki is staying with a six-speed transmission on its KX125, realizing that many customers use the bikes for more than just motocross.

+1 to what you said!

i love my 6th gear on my 125 :thumbsup: i blow everyone away in speed :smirk:

• scalejockey

Posted December 08, 2008 - 08:17 AM

I love mine as a trail bike.However the carb\motor design is flawed for trail use. When you go down steep grades while idling it likes to load up.
Iv'e done ALL possible changes to get rid of this irritation,(so i don't want to hear,"did you rejet or adjust the float"?) .
The next thing i might try is different reeds. But other than that,i can go out on a track and hammer or hit the trails all day.(with the larger tank)It's been a great bike!
This is the from the last trail ride.The trail starts at the river in the bottom and the 125 had no problems with that climb.In fact the 450s i was with boiled over.

Posted Image

• MxRacerZach

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:33 PM

becuase i was in the process of getting my liscense and needed money to get a truck

• MxRacerZach

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:36 PM

yah i dont do that much trail ridin g i get that out of my system in the snowmobile season i like tracks and racing for dirtbiking

• MxRacerZach

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:37 PM

thanks man i appreciate all the facts and info

• MxRacerZach

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:44 PM

hey just to let u guys know im picking up a 03 kx 125 with some pretty nice mods for 1800 on friday thanks for the help

• aldevo

Posted December 11, 2008 - 06:53 AM

nice, i hope u like it, i have a 2003 kx125 too, i love it.. im the only guy that has one in my town lol the rest of the guys have hondas lol, man its nice to see there faces when i pass them haha

• shrubitup

Posted December 13, 2008 - 11:43 AM

I love mine as a trail bike.However the carb\motor design is flawed for trail use. When you go down steep grades while idling it likes to load up.
Iv'e done ALL possible changes to get rid of this irritation,(so i don't want to hear,"did you rejet or adjust the float"?) .
The next thing i might try is different reeds. But other than that,i can go out on a track and hammer or hit the trails all day.(with the larger tank)It's been a great bike!
This is the from the last trail ride.The trail starts at the river in the bottom and the 125 had no problems with that climb.In fact the 450s i was with boiled over.

Posted Image

Great photo! Is that the Salmon River?

I know what you mean about the four strokes boiling over. My smoker never boils even on climbs like that.:thumbsup:

• scalejockey

Posted December 14, 2008 - 12:23 PM

Great photo! Is that the Salmon River?

I know what you mean about the four strokes boiling over. My smoker never boils even on climbs like that.:thumbsup:

It's the Deadwood river ridge trail.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 kx100 wont hit powerband by kxkid110

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Need 250 crank for 00! by raber510

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

kx 125 clutch basket help by mhogan1000

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

1998 KX125 Project...What The He** Am I Doing?!?!?! by Bombo

• Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.