cooling fan for wr450

13 replies to this topic
  • Murray Dorward

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:44 AM

Has anyone fitted 12v computer fans to their radiators ? and if how (pictures if possible)

Muz

• roushxteam199

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:25 AM

yes i have a fan setup. i used a spal usa fan, and a simple 2 pole switch

• roushxteam199

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:28 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Imacowboy

Posted December 07, 2008 - 02:55 PM

yes i have a fan setup. i used a spal usa fan, and a simple 2 pole switch

Part number for that fan please!! Online supplier? Thanks!

• MaxPower

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Posted Image

[COLOR="Green"]thats trick
is that a kit or did you make that?[/COLOR]

• phoo

Posted December 07, 2008 - 05:13 PM

This is my guess. You want pull style (part 30103018). :thumbsup:

http://www.spal-usa....v_4_paddle.html

~Patrick

• Imacowboy

Posted December 07, 2008 - 07:13 PM

This is my guess. You want pull style (part 30103018). :thumbsup:

http://www.spal-usa....v_4_paddle.html

~Patrick

Wow! If that is it, one has to wonder why anyone would bother. The CFM is only 124. An el cheapo case fan would do about what? 97 CFM, for 9 bucks off ebay with dual ball bearings? Knowing Spal, that fan is not 9 bucks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Imacowboy

Posted December 07, 2008 - 07:30 PM

Interesting... I found these Deltas http://www.sidewinde.../delhigper.html

I wonder if one could make an inline thermostat housing using components from Trailtech, that they use for the thermostats for the Vapor units to operate the fan(s). Doing that with the Spal unit I am guessing would be childs play. That would eliminate the need for the two way switch yes? Using say a 190 degree thermostat to kick on the fans automatically....sweet.

• roushxteam199

Posted December 07, 2008 - 08:36 PM

i believe i used the 4in fan. i custom made the dash on my bike. i love the way it turned out. I suppose you could do it with a thermostat but i just watch the temp on my vapor. if it gets higher than 170 around or if i am sitting at a light for a long time i flip it on. pm me if you need any help or have any questions i will be glad to help.
yes the fan was like i think 70 bucks off spalusa.com but it has gone through so many rain storms that it has proved it self reliable. i recommend one .

• Imacowboy

Posted December 08, 2008 - 04:18 AM

i believe i used the 4in fan. i custom made the dash on my bike. i love the way it turned out. I suppose you could do it with a thermostat but i just watch the temp on my vapor. if it gets higher than 170 around or if i am sitting at a light for a long time i flip it on. pm me if you need any help or have any questions i will be glad to help.
yes the fan was like i think 70 bucks off spalusa.com but it has gone through so many rain storms that it has proved it self reliable. i recommend one .

I agree whole heartedly about the Spal stuff being bullet proof, The spal fan on my Honda Rancher has been completely under water while it was running so many times it aint funny. After really reading up on the Vapor I will have one this friday! I will use the two way switch like you, but I will also use a dummy light as well, it's cheaper than the thermostat. I get distracted too easily. I have another question though, how fast does your temp drop when you switch it on? Also, if you could give us the run down on how you created that sweet dash? It looks like fiberglass? Just for the record, this is your fan?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWD1V

Thanks

• roushxteam199

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:37 AM

I agree whole heartedly about the Spal stuff being bullet proof, The spal fan on my Honda Rancher has been completely under water while it was running so many times it aint funny. After really reading up on the Vapor I will have one this friday! I will use the two way switch like you, but I will also use a dummy light as well, it's cheaper than the thermostat. I get distracted too easily. I have another question though, how fast does your temp drop when you switch it on? Also, if you could give us the run down on how you created that sweet dash? It looks like fiberglass? Just for the record, this is your fan?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWD1V

Thanks

yes that is the fan i used. It doesnt really drop the temp when at a stop but it keep sit from rising. as soon as i get going and still have the fan going i can drop almost 30 degrees in as little as a few minutes. I made the dash out a piece of thin metal. i just made a diagram of where i wanted stuff to be located and thats how it turned out. suprised the hell out of me how well it turned out but i like it cause i know i made it

• Imacowboy

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:43 PM

yes that is the fan i used. It doesnt really drop the temp when at a stop but it keep sit from rising. as soon as i get going and still have the fan going i can drop almost 30 degrees in as little as a few minutes. I made the dash out a piece of thin metal. i just made a diagram of where i wanted stuff to be located and thats how it turned out. suprised the hell out of me how well it turned out but i like it cause i know i made it

Yea...sweet dash, you could sell those man. :thumbsup: Thanks for the info.

• roushxteam199

Posted December 09, 2008 - 06:17 AM

Yea...sweet dash, you could sell those man. :thumbsup: Thanks for the info.

thanks.I never thought about selling them i like the fact that i am the only person that has my dash setup. let me know if you need any more help.

• stev0

Posted December 09, 2008 - 02:35 PM

super trick idea!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.