cooling fan for wr450

25 replies to this topic
  • Murray Dorward

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:42 AM

I ride alot in the rocks and my bike overheats, has anyone fitted 12v computer fans to their radiator and if how (pictures if possible)

Muz

• Mutu

Posted December 07, 2008 - 03:07 PM

Do a search Muzza mate, there have been people that have done it before.

I use engine ice coolant, seemed to help a fair bit.

• jasontan

Posted January 06, 2009 - 03:39 PM

i ride alot of singletrack and bushwack. my wr used to overheat. i then bought fluidyne radiators. they are larger, more capacity, more cooling , also i use waterwetter . the bike has not boiled since. also stock jetting will run lean in the pilot jet-hot

• phattomato

Posted January 06, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Fluidyne radiators and water wetter is the way to go. I put those radiators in my yz450f and they made a huge difference. I never overheat now. I never even look at my temp gauges any more. Unless I sit there and idle for a while in one spot. But even in slow sections I never over heat. Get those radiators....best investment!

Oh, and my father has a ktm 525 exc and they make and sell a radiator fan and thermostat switch in a kit which we bought and installed. I don't think it would bolt right up into your application but check out ktmhutt.com and look at their radiator fan kit that they sell. If you'd want to do a little fabricating, I'm sure you could some how make their fan work for your application? just a though...check it out nonetheless?!

• roushxteam199

Posted January 07, 2009 - 04:11 PM

yes i have one on my 03. My bike is strictly for the street i used a fan from spal usa. pm me if you want to know the complete parts list and instructions.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 20, 2009 - 07:14 PM

yes i have one on my 03. My bike is strictly for the street i used a fan from spal usa. pm me if you want to know the complete parts list and instructions.

I have a yz not a wr but I'm interested in the cooling fan setup. I would have to run the fan off a battery though.

• Birdy426

Posted February 20, 2009 - 09:15 PM

I ride alot in the rocks and my bike overheats, has anyone fitted 12v computer fans to their radiator and if how (pictures if possible)

Muz

I've tried the 12v PC fans...they help a bit, but don't last more thn a ride or 2 off road...

• MaxPower

Posted February 21, 2009 - 03:13 PM

My bike is strictly for the street

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]you Sir are a hardcore WR owner. I cant thing of a more uncomforable bike for the road[/COLOR]

• roushxteam199

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:24 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]you Sir are a hardcore WR owner. I cant thing of a more uncomforable bike for the road[/COLOR]

its a fun bike for the road. it does vibrate a little but you get use to it. i have street tires on it which makes it so much better than knobbys.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:00 PM

I'm going to take a look at the drz400 super moto radiator fan setup. I don't have a problem overheating when riding by myself but when riding with other people, especially atv people I have to sit and wait a lot. This new bike will start to spit coolant out the overflow hose in about 1-2 minutes of idling and its still pretty cool outside. I hate to think when it gets hot out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nitronaf

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:38 AM

some info on roushxteam199 install

http://www.spalusa.c...l&item=30103018
that is the fan he used
and he simply made his own brackets and manually turns it on with a switch

to be quite honest the reason why i've not bothered is simply because my fluidynes with high quality coolant has prevented me from boiling over at traffic lights on normal hotish days in australia. but a 40C day i did boil over.

heres a pic of his install
Posted Image

• roushxteam199

Posted February 22, 2009 - 03:02 PM

sweet thanks for posting it for people.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 22, 2009 - 03:19 PM

I think the fan mounting is the easy part. The problem I'm dealing with is figuring out how to make the fans work automatically. I don't want to deal with flipping a switch on and off to operate the fans.

• Summit Seeker

Posted February 23, 2009 - 10:49 AM

You will more than likely have to install a temperature sensor on your coolant system. easiest way may be on your rad coolant line with a threaded T, Just a thought.

• yz400fdude

Posted February 23, 2009 - 12:38 PM

You will more than likely have to install a temperature sensor on your coolant system. easiest way may be on your rad coolant line with a threaded T, Just a thought.

I knew I would need a coolant temperature sensor, but what I don't understand is how to make the fan come on when the coolant gets to a certain temp. I was looking at the cooling fan on my atv and the fan itself seems to have a trigger on it.

• acarter92

Posted February 23, 2009 - 04:59 PM

You need some sort of thermostat. Why not just have the fan on all the time?

Austin

• yz400fdude

Posted February 23, 2009 - 05:06 PM

You need some sort of thermostat. Why not just have the fan on all the time?

Austin

Because I don't have a WR, I have a YZ and my stator can't handle 2 fans. I will be running mine off a battery and if they are running all the time they will kill that battery quickly. I'm going to try some engine ice coolant or something first though. However, I enjoy doing things like this so I will probably go ahead for the heck of it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:38 PM

my "cooling fan" is my right hand...twist n go faster baby :lol:

• yz400fdude

Posted February 23, 2009 - 07:58 PM

my "cooling fan" is my right hand...twist n go faster baby :lol:

That's not always an option when you are riding with beginners. I don't think this new bike will over heat unless its 110f and chugging over rocks but I will put it in that scenario soon enough.

• rufusz

Posted February 23, 2009 - 11:55 PM

I knew I would need a coolant temperature sensor, but what I don't understand is how to make the fan come on when the coolant gets to a certain temp. I was looking at the cooling fan on my atv and the fan itself seems to have a trigger on it.

You need a thermostat. I've seen a kit on a KTM (aftermarket kit), and you just pushed the thermostat between the fans of the radiator (or how they are called)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.