Removing trailer decals

9 replies to this topic
  • dbiron

Posted December 07, 2008 - 08:55 AM

I finally bought an enclosed trailer. 2004 CargoMate 5 x 10 in good shape for $850, how could I say no?:thumbsup: Anyways, it was covered in Decals (vinyl) from the Business that originally owned it. I thought some of you may have had this problem yourselves, so instead of trial and error, I figured I'd ask here...
What is the best method for removing the decals and cleaning the adhesive from the exterior? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Posted Image

• BrokenSpoke2

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Heat gun to warm and soften the stickers. Go slow and they should come right off

• MxJeWeL

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:21 AM

A hair dryer works too as long it's hot enough. You want the adhesive to come off with sticker.

Wash off residue with dish soap.

• dbiron

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:44 AM

Thanks guys, I will give the hair dryer a try later today if I get the time. I was thinking of using denatured alcohol to remove any remaining residue. Gotta get it all clean before I can put some shop decals on it!

• Themanofallmen

Posted December 07, 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thanks guys, I will give the hair dryer a try later today if I get the time. I was thinking of using denatured alcohol to remove any remaining residue. Gotta get it all clean before I can put some shop decals on it!

Just use "bug and tar remover" to get off any residual glue

• adam728

Posted December 07, 2008 - 11:36 AM

You want a pin stripe removal wheel. Goes on a drill, is kind of like a giant eraser. Takes off the stickers and probably 95% of the glue, and won't hurt the paint. We used these a lot at one shop I worked at. Taking all th plumbing stickers off the side of a box van still sucked, but not as bad as trying to peel them off and then deal with the glue.

I know Napa and Car Quest carry em, probably most other auto places too.

Posted Image

• BSAVictor

Posted December 07, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Personally, I'd use hair dryer/heat gun and do touch up for residue with mineral spirits/paint thinner, NOT LACQUER THINNER, NOR DENATURED ALCOHOL (isn't denatured also known as wood alcohol?---you don't want that going into your lungs nor your skin). That "eraser" thing in previous post sounds pretty effective, too, for the biggest part of the removal job.

For the spirits part of the job, I'd use plastic gloves of some sort, and allow extra time for spirits to dry before applying new stickers. I use RUBBING ALCOHOL to pre-clean when applying renewal stickers to license plates.

• tt500blaster

Posted December 07, 2008 - 01:24 PM

3m makes an adhesive remover, works great

• madmud

Posted December 07, 2008 - 02:48 PM

Get yourself a heat gun,kinda like a hair dryer only hotter and a razor blade keep the blade really flat to the surface and the stickers will come right off. Clean up the glue residue with some lighter fluid and your in business.

• Chickenhauler

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:38 PM

I've used a heat gun and this stuff http://www.schaeffer...739_citrol.html

It works better than any other product I have found or tried, and this includes 3M's stuff. Not only that, it is non-toxic, won't eat your hands up, and smells like oranges and doesn't get you high.

It'll even remove duct tape residue....and that's some nasty stuff.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.