Interesting fact about Athena 480 kit

6 replies to this topic
  • yz480doinwork

Posted December 06, 2008 - 12:44 PM

I think Athena uses the same kit for the YZ's as they do the YFZ's. this is pretty interesting, i fount it on a ATV fourm and anyone that has/wants a Athena 480 kit should read this. It dosn't mean the kits are bad or anything its just something that needs to be considered. Seriouse damage could result if not considered:

http://yfz450.theatv...showtopic=75319

• jeffboyd47m

Posted December 06, 2008 - 05:53 PM

I think CP makes a different piston for the YZF than they do for the YFZ. I have almost 10hrs of hard riding on mine and I am running the Cometic gaskets too. Bike starts easy and runs strong with no problems. The piston is the 13.5-1 but is not the Venom model.

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:36 AM

are the thicknesses of your gaskets different from the athena gaskets? maby the Athena YFZ kits are different from the YZ kits.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted December 07, 2008 - 07:19 PM

its the same engine according to my dealer...

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 07, 2008 - 08:55 PM

yeah i knew that but im wondering if Athena make different hight cylenders from the quads to the bikes. i dont know why they would...the probably dont. maby that guys table was un leavle lol. i have no idea. i just threw this thread out there to see what people think

• jeffboyd47m

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:02 PM

I'm not sure about the thickness of the two different gaskets.
I did some checking on the CP pistons website. The 98mm piston for the YZF is a 13.5:1 and is part # M1051.
The 98mm piston for the YFZ is a 12.5:1 and 468cc for the 03-05 and is 12.75:1....478cc for the 06-08. The part# is M1009 on the quad. Also they both have different part #'s for the pins.
Also it says to bore and replate on the YFZ but on the YZF it says sleeve or cylinder.

• yz480doinwork

Posted December 08, 2008 - 06:16 PM

interesting

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.