kick starter broke

9 replies to this topic
  • Jensen E

Posted December 06, 2008 - 10:47 AM

i have an '07 wr 450 so this morning i went to start and the battery was dead so then proceeded to kick it so then it back fired so i went to kick it again and the little block that the starter stops on so it comes off at a 90 degree angle form the bike was complently broke off

so does anyone know of anyone who makes a stronger one

the dealer quoted me on oem replacement of 127.00

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 07, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Try Motion Pro. I had a BBR kick starter for my 400 years ago but that was before BBR went to pit bikes only...

I would search the TT Store here and see what you find

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:46 AM

Ebay!

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:29 PM

They're on e-bay off of parted out '06, '07, and '08 YZ 450fs all the time. Usually between $45 and $75. Which reminds me I should pick a few up just incase so I'm not inconvienenced.

Its not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

• MaxPower

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:41 PM

Its not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

[COLOR="Green"]No way. It happens obviously .You make it sound like everybike had problems

I have seen both WRs and YZs that have gone for years with the original kickers
[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 08, 2008 - 10:28 AM

I broke two on my 400 one stocker and one BBR.... since then, (3 WR's later) I have never broken one but obviously the e-button has an impact on longevity.

• Regalman

Posted December 08, 2008 - 10:30 AM

You gotta be kidding me... these kickers break? I've never seen a kickstart lever break on any bike... I figured they were way over-engineered.

• matt4x4

Posted December 08, 2008 - 12:43 PM

They wear out where they hit the footpeg with every kick and also put a lot of force back at the pivot connection because of the abrupt stop when they hit the footpeg, so if you can't easily start your bike or you stall it a lot - this means you'd be putting a lot more wear on the part than normal and it would get weak fast.
If you start your bike with 1 kick and rarely stall it, it should last a lifetime.

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 09, 2008 - 01:38 PM

[COLOR="Green"]No way. It happens obviously .You make it sound like everybike had problems
[/COLOR]

I was talking more for me than others. I could see how that sentance could be interpereted as a blanket statement.

Those that e-start (or kick like a girl) will probably have the kickstarter last the life of the bike.

I kick the sonofabitch hard (1 kick bike) and there is already a substantial amount of material missing from the kickstart at the part where it meets el footpego. It wouldn't surprise me if it fails within the next year:ride:

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 09, 2008 - 01:42 PM

You gotta be kidding me... these kickers break? I've never seen a kickstart lever break on any bike... I figured they were way over-engineered.

Posted Image

Shit happens :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.