08 yz winter time overhaul

14 replies to this topic
  • cablemonkey334

Posted December 05, 2008 - 10:01 PM

well now that the seasons over it time to rebuild an add some bling. just wondering what to do first. the motor has 60 hrs on it . should i just reshim ,or replace the valves . I know a new top end is in order, an dlc coating for the forks . maybe a hinson clutch .

• racerxx276

Posted December 06, 2008 - 09:05 PM

why do you want to to do a rebuild?? 2006 yz450f. 240 hrs , 2007 yz450f 180 hrs. 2008 yz450f 108 hrs. never rebuild or checked valves... lots of oil changes.....

• Justin89

Posted December 06, 2008 - 10:51 PM

why do you want to to do a rebuild?? 2006 yz450f. 240 hrs , 2007 yz450f 180 hrs. 2008 yz450f 108 hrs. never rebuild or checked valves... lots of oil changes.....

Exactly. I cant believe you're evn looking at reshimming :smirk: No way! 60hrs is childs play! I would throw on a new timing chain and thats about it if you're not having any engine problems. I took out my original piston at 212hrs and it seriously still looked usuable. I saved everything I took out in order to show people who question. The suspension would be a neat idea if you already have it revalvd etc. What type of riding do you do? In my experience, OEM internal products are the best way to go for reliablity and peace of mind:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• MikeyT750

Posted January 04, 2009 - 03:06 PM

Definitly do a Cam Chain. I just had a Valve sink into the head. 21-22 hrs on a YZ450. Regardless I bought it from a guy that used it as his race bike and race pro, I thought I was fine. Do the chain. Looking at a lot of money to repair now...

• Smokeslider

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:42 PM

I had to reshim a valve at 50 hours. If you don't even look at your valve clearances until over 100 hours, I think your asking for trouble. I guess it just matters how much insurance you want.

• KJ790

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:51 PM

I had to reshim a valve at 50 hours. If you don't even look at your valve clearances until over 100 hours, I think your asking for trouble. I guess it just matters how much insurance you want.

Agreed. I said in a post earlier that I don't get the guys that never check their valves until the bike won't start. If the bike won't start, you've been running with valves out of spec for quite a while and that is a perfect set up for disaster. If you check them regularly then you will catch them within a couple hours of going out of spec and shim them back right, which is much easier on the valve, and could be much easier on your wallet.

• hillclimbguy

Posted January 04, 2009 - 05:51 PM

I too would also recommend a cam chain. But thats it. We are going in 2 1/2 years. Im not even going to try and count hours. But its lots!
If it were a honda, then they are throw a way bikes. Be thankful you have a Yamaha. Just ride it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gtxkid

Posted January 04, 2009 - 07:19 PM

Only Bling that does something for performance
Already have these done:
Pro Rekluse Rk chain Pro taper bars Windom
TGT bar subtank system Stainless oil filter
FX graphic's, simply the best, even the logos look the same as manufacture's Cp Piston 13/75/1
ASV and Zeta lever's Air filters 2 Twin air's and 1 No-Toil
DR.D pipe DR.D Radator lowerering kit
Hour meter 40.00 and DR.D mount
Works connection skid plate
Foot peg ruber boots work good
Fasst Touque wrench ASV sag scale
Fuel tank foam not installed yet
50 tooth sun sprocket going back to 49 Thow
DR.D brake line clamp Lightended it up
Numbered Fuel screw

Ordered over the last three weeks: Neutec tubleless tire setup
SDG step seat in blk
Front and rear wheel bearing kits MSR
Merge Racing - Hydraulic Preload Adjuster
CYCRA M2 hand gaurds WhT
Going with FX Graphic's again
Tm Chain roller and slide kit
0-15 PSI tire gauge bearings Grips
Pro Taper Throtle tube Replaced all yamaha seals and o-rings
Might try 48 tooth rear
Motion Pro Chain alignment tool
Redone the Suspention again with lighter springs this time and a rear subtank.
RDP Suspention work ( Best mod of all was the suspention)

Wish list: Is the new sidwinder TY sprockets with there new chain 370.00 good for life or they will replace it http://sidewindersprockets.com/

Coming soon:
ASV lever set blk in short with boots and hardware, there going on sale for 150.00.
ARAI medium helmet
RXR chest

Inow have wheel set i bought from a guy on Thumper talk Wheel sets are silver hubs with blk rims
Handle bar pad

Tools: Tire changer and Wheel truing stand

• husqy360

Posted January 04, 2009 - 08:32 PM

oh man so i just got a new piston for my 06 yz450f for nothing.:smirk: timing chain will do for sure.

i have about 120 hours on my 06 and i never even get close to the rev limiter.
power is in the middle so right after the power go down i shift unless its a hard hill climb.
i mostley ride hill climbs and deep sand if that metter.
my bike jetting is preety rich even in 0c its runing with no backfiring, which is stupid but i dont know much about carbs, i guess my lbs dont know much 2.
it was my first bike in the last 10 years so it was fine.
carb is going to zip ty next week, for the cheaper mod.

so should i throw the piston in or just keep it for next year? i do about 100 hours a sesson.
i guess ill check compression first and see how it goes?
i dont want to take any chances with my baby, i got it with about 30 hours from older racer that dont race anymore.
i heard some guys change piston at 100 hours or less.
sorry on the long story but when its -30 outside ...........:thinking::smirk:

• KJ790

Posted January 04, 2009 - 08:35 PM

You might as well change it, you already have the parts. I change mine every 50-60 hours. to be safe. It is pretty cheap insurance.

• husqy360

Posted January 04, 2009 - 11:20 PM

You might as well change it, you already have the parts. I change mine every 50-60 hours. to be safe. It is pretty cheap insurance.

ya 120 for complate 08 piston kit.:thinking:

• rexbond007

Posted January 05, 2009 - 10:25 AM

SAVE it and do the piston in the fall

i have 125 hrs on mine, the valves still in spec from day one.

• sacfelix

Posted January 05, 2009 - 04:02 PM

I had to shim one exhaust valve on my 06yz450 at 20hrs because it moved a little but now I have 87hrs and still in spec. I recently just replaced my cam chain & tensioner because it started to make an unusual tapping sound and what do you know it went away.

• husqy360

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:00 PM

SAVE it and do the piston in the fall

i have 125 hrs on mine, the valves still in spec from day one.

ya ill try doing a leak down test, if it pass ill probebly keep it.

can i do a leak down test when engine is off the frame?

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 05, 2009 - 08:20 PM

i would do a piston and rings and just check the valves to make sure there in spec ( and im sure they are). also do a timing chain..

idk if you asked what piston everybody is useing but i just started to us CP pistions after useing wiseco for years.. reason for the switch is my wiseco wristpin failed and took my motor out so i decided to go with CP.. side by side the CP looks like a better made pistion and the wrist pin on the CP is a lot thicker..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.