Keeping the engine cool

22 replies to this topic
  • Ridin Dirty

Posted December 13, 2008 - 12:17 PM

All other things being equal, distilled water would have the added benefit of being less viscous than ethylene-glycol coolants. Less energy would be used to drive the water through the cylinder walls, radiator, pump, etc. I would be curious to see what performance advantages you would experience from this alone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 15, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Redline states it will work with ANY antifreeze/coolant.

This is somewhat what I said, although the specific temp info is interesting. I assume you have a trail computer with a temp sensor? Where is the sensor located?

One of the things about radiators is that the greater the difference between the internal and external temp is, the faster the rate of heat exchange becomes. Like water flowing to a low spot, heat moves from hot to cold, and the bigger the temp delta, the more "downhill" it is, so what you're saying about the temp reaching a plateau makes some sense.

"Molar cavitation" is the technical term for "spot boiling", and that's what I was referring to as I spoke of the boil point cutting off the cooling ability of the coolant. Fluid in circulation is less prone to this than standing fluid is, though.

i know your gonna say its inaccurate as far as water temps but when i did
the testing it was oil temps measured at the drain plug;the plug had a sensor connected to a digital gauge;so in reality i was measuring overall engine temp but when idling for extended periods my bike (with evans) temps averaged 25'f higher(265'f) than normal running temps which was around 240' on my practice loop. the measuring was done while testing with and without the two2cool oil additive(which btw reduced oil temps by a minimum of 15'f) we used my buddies 04wr with 50/50 (and regular oil) as a comparison in the idle test and it overheated in around 3 minutes (if memory serves me correct) with the oil temp still less than the plateau of my bike with evans(right at 260') so that kinda made me figure that at least at idle while sitting still the oil temps and coolant temps are close?
hardly precise i know....but look who your dealin' with:busted:
and too compound matters this is all from memory as the notes have since gone to the wayside!

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 15, 2008 - 10:37 AM

i used engine ice in all my bikes and i havent had a problem with overheating at all.. my buddy with his crf450 was over heating in the woods every mile and he switched to engine ice and hasent over heated yet..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.