fork oil wt for 06 yz450

6 replies to this topic
  • husqy360

Posted December 04, 2008 - 10:51 PM

Hey
so i just got my forks serviced, new oil and seals.
when i brought my forks to the shop, i asked for a thicker oil and the guy sed that 10wt oil will be a quick fix for the bottoming out untill i get new springs.
then i went to a diffrent shop and the mechanic is like if you ride with this 10wt oil in your forx they will blow up.

who to believe?

ill might get some new springs for my weight this winter but i dont know yet.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:22 PM

Nothing you do with oil is going to be a cure for excessively light springs. Your best approach on the '06 is likely to be to stay with the 5wt in the inner chamber, and use the 10 in the outer. The oil in the outers is what deals with bottoming resistance.

You can also add 5-10 cc per side to the oil level to make them a little stiffer overall.

• Smokeslider

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:23 PM

uhm... never heard that one, might try this in the suspension forum for results as well. I'd like to tell you that the second guy was full of crap but I can neither confirm nor deny the fact that your forks will blow up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:25 PM

I'd like to tell you that the second guy was full of crap but I can neither confirm nor deny the fact ...

I can.

• husqy360

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:39 PM

ya i guess you right.
im about 200 with gear which spring rate you recommend ? front and rear.
i like it on the stiffer side. just dont want it to bottom out so easily.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:48 PM

If you are 200 with gear, the stock springs are the right rate.

• husqy360

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:58 PM

If you are 200 with gear, the stock springs are the right rate.

i might be a little more 185 + gear, in jumps smooth im not.

so maybe the 10 wt oil will solve the bottom out problem?

and the second person wasnt a "guy".
they where 2 mechanics from the biggest shop in my city. :smirk: :usa:

im so happy i dont need to replace the oil again. :thumbsup:

thanks for the help

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.