Hinson clutch.. synthetic or not?

15 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:31 PM

hey guys i have a 2006 yz 450 with a long rod kit ect ect.. and a full hinson clutch so im just wondering what oil would be good for the hinson clutch?

im thinking of useing rotella synthetic 5w 40 in the gal sizes, ill be changing it after everyride this ice season.. also would the 5w 40 work well in winter temps?

i no this is another oil thread sorry

• 642MX

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:46 PM

A Hinson clutch doesn't require different oil than a stock clutch, and the length of your rod has nothing to do with lubricant.....or does it?..:usa:

Yes, 5W40 is fine for winter time. :thumbsup:

I love oil threads! Let the bickering begin. :smirk:

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:50 PM

A Hinson clutch doesn't require different oil than a stock clutch, and the length of your rod has nothing to do with lubricant.....or does it?..:usa:

Yes, 5W40 is fine for winter time. :thumbsup:

I love oil threads! Let the bickering begin. :smirk:

yes i no the lenght of the rod has nothing to do with what oil you use..

i was just wondering if it works better with synthetic or not

• bfogelma

5w40 is a really good weight for cold. but if being changed every ride, what type of oil you use, either synthetic or non, wont really matter.

• Michael Cahill

the length of your rod has nothing to do with lubricant.....or does it?..:smirk:

Hahahahaha :usa: :thumbsup:

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:57 PM

5w40 is a really good weight for cold. but if being changed every ride, what type of oil you use, either synthetic or non, wont really matter.

yea i get at where your going. but a normal day on the ice is around 4 hours run time and you are kindof beating your bike up doing so..

i just change it everyride to have a peace of mind that i no the oil is good.

• bfogelma

Posted December 04, 2008 - 08:32 PM

yea i get at where your going. but a normal day on the ice is around 4 hours run time and you are kindof beating your bike up doing so..

i just change it everyride to have a peace of mind that i no the oil is good.

no doubt changing oil every ride is good, i change my synthetic oil every other on my bike. all im saying is, in relation to wear, it wont make a difference, and in relation to the additive package, its not long enough for it to kick in anyways.

basically what im saying is that at those time intervals, the differences between sythetic and regular are negligible in the clutch.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 04, 2008 - 08:36 PM

no doubt changing oil every ride is good, i change my synthetic oil every other on my bike. all im saying is, in relation to wear, it wont make a difference, and in relation to the additive package, its not long enough for it to kick in anyways.

basically what im saying is that at those time intervals, the differences between sythetic and regular are negligible in the clutch.

what oil are you running?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bfogelma

Posted December 05, 2008 - 11:45 AM

i run castrol or yamalube synthetic

• Kasjok

Posted December 05, 2008 - 12:03 PM

I was wondering what benefits does a full hinson clutch offer for an amateur MX rider. I have never had a problem with OEM clutches slipping or anything.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 05, 2008 - 01:27 PM

I was wondering what benefits does a full hinson clutch offer for an amateur MX rider. I have never had a problem with OEM clutches slipping or anything.

well for i need it because of all the work done to my motor making more Hp. the stock clutch just couldent hold it

• 642MX

Posted December 05, 2008 - 09:36 PM

well for i need it because of all the work done to my motor making more Hp. the stock clutch just couldent hold it

Please explain how the clamping force is different in the stock vs Hinson....

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 05, 2008 - 09:59 PM

Please explain how the clamping force is different in the stock vs Hinson....

man you really seem to be on my ass for somereason...

all i no is that when you make more power than stock then your clutch is going to be the weak link so i wanted a bullet proof clutch. is there anything wrong with that no..

for example.. you build a 500 hp street car and you slap the stock clutch in it. yea its going to last for a little while but after lets say a week or two its going to start to slip..

• 642MX

Posted December 05, 2008 - 10:14 PM

man you really seem to be on my ass for somereason...

all i no is that when you make more power than stock then your clutch is going to be the weak link so i wanted a bullet proof clutch. is there anything wrong with that no..

for example.. you build a 500 hp street car and you slap the stock clutch in it. yea its going to last for a little while but after lets say a week or two its going to start to slip..

I'm not on your ass.... I answered your first question, just wanted some info on why everybody spends so much money on Hinson stuff.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 05, 2008 - 10:44 PM

I'm not on your ass.... I answered your first question, just wanted some info on why everybody spends so much money on Hinson stuff.

o sorry my bad. its been a longnight in the garage..

• mikedabike

Posted December 05, 2008 - 11:13 PM

Hinsons are nice clutches, with that being said I never had clutch issues with the OEM baskets in any of my Yamahas. The stock stuff seems pretty good. Worked on a couple of RM 250's that had issues with the stock clutch compnents.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.