At what point do you slow down?

33 replies to this topic
  • GPS Dual Sport

Posted July 09, 2002 - 02:02 AM

As a member of the old and slo group I no longer feel the need for speed. As I have gotten older my rides seem to get longer. If the day isn't at least 100 miles on the trail I feel like I have been shortchanged.
I still ride with a fast group, but usually in the back of the pack. I have become a master sweep rider.
I can attest to the speed and consisitancy of Dan's Dad. I have ridden with him in Colorado for a couple of years. Always looking for the techinical challenging trail. Never out of shape and hanging by a thread. Never mocking out the slow guys and giving a hand when the going gets tough.
There is more to riding than going Gonzo all the time. But the occasional Gonzo session is still fun.

• oldasdirt

Posted July 09, 2002 - 08:52 AM

Thanks guys for making a 48 year old not feel so guilty I can't shred like I once could. My buddies are still rockets,but after working with me for 25 years, they are just so glad to see me doing something besides eating ice cream and watching tv. Man that was sure a great life! That's dead before you are buried or in my case flamed. I feel good about it now. Recon I ain't got to be what was a long time ago. Sure do feel good just being me. Thanks! oldasdirt :D :) :D

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 09, 2002 - 03:05 PM

Damn Dougie, I'm feeling better now. I'm only 32 and have no kids - a wife, a dog & a cat - but feel the same way you do already.....

Only suggestion is don't ride too slowly as that can be just as dangerous as riding too fast. Just ask PMAUST........

I guess this means you won't be trying to jump Golden Crack next time your at Moab?

Brian

• LarryCO

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:35 AM

Awesome stuff boys and girls! With you slowing down, that means I'll "appear" faster now! After all, this is only my 2nd year of riding. Dougie, you mentioned earlier that you wont be putt-ing around in 2nd gear...there IS a 2nd gear on a WR? Thought it was only a single speed... :D

Yes, I too am old (32 going on 18) and have a 16 month old daughter. A funny thing happened the other day in Crested Butte...I was riding on Sunday and told my friend that I was going to leave early...because I wanted to get home early to see my wife and kid. When did this sense of responsibility sneak up on me?!?! :)

Good thing to hear that people's priorities are in line here...

See you hopefully this weekend Dougie so you can show me how to get out of 1st gear...

Late

• YZeezee

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:43 AM

LarryCO, where are you guys going riding this weekend? Don't ya love a guy that just assumes you're looking for another rider? Actually, I was just curious on some areas to go-my YZ400 is my first bike and I've had it about 3 mos now-I did all trails, but I went to the Berthoud track last weekend-what a blast-maybe head to Lakewood track this weekend...? Anyway, I too am 29 going on 17, but if I get hurt, the wifey says it's over-so there's the answer to how fast I go...

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 10, 2002 - 11:18 AM

This is I think one of the best threads I have posted too, I can agree with almost everything here.

It is reassuring to me that alot of us here isnt riding to bring back our youth, we are riding for the joy and love of the sport.

Most of what I read is Priotizing, Family, Kids and so forth, I think it is great that the age bracket 39 - 45 are more intersted in just having a days fun with the kids and freinds

Trying to see who can jump the highest and farthest is beyond my years now, I recognise that, I trust that feeling. I also realize that my Ego-Self has to come to turns with my age, shape and mainly responcibility at home.

I think with all this said we can summerize it in a few points
1: Family Responcibility
2: For the Love of just being with your Kids
3: Age over Youth
4: Realizig why you want to ride or quite riding
5: Being real to your oneself

I mean it this way, My hair is not growing back, So I Buzz my hair now to 1/4 inch used to be past the shoulders. No matter how far I suck in the gut, that fine babe just aint looin at me :) , The ringing in my ears isnt from beig outdoors its from to many indoor short tracks with no ear plugs and 350 watt stereos in a cube the size of a VW bug
WHAAAAAATTTTT YOOOOUUU SAY
Passssss THhheeee Whhhhhaaaat

Just be true to yourself and answer those questions only you can really answer. Those guys that ride after 50+ ask them, I would garuntee they say I slowed down and now I am really having fun.

Thats my $4.26 worth Im done
Thanks for the great post

• therapture

Posted July 10, 2002 - 02:01 PM

I took a 5 year layoff and came back to MX 8 months ago, and at 32 years old, I am just as fast as I was then, but only less fitness, no 30 minute motos for me yet! :D :D

I will not stop riding again unless forced to, and I have learned to be smarter on track, when I get tired, I back off, I rest. Not to say I don't "go for it" because I do, I certainly have not lost my love of jumping, and I jump stuff on track that relate to expert level speeds/skills...although I am no expert myself (too slow in corners).

But I am SAFE, I wear all my gear, and I look over and seriously check out a new jump before doing it, sometimes I even let someone else do it first :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mxer303

Posted July 10, 2002 - 02:52 PM

Originally posted by therapture:
I took a 5 year layoff and came back to MX 8 months ago, and at 32 years old, I am just as fast as I was then, but only less fitness, no 30 minute motos for me yet! :D :D

I will not stop riding again unless forced to, and I have learned to be smarter on track, when I get tired, I back off, I rest. Not to say I don't "go for it" because I do, I certainly have not lost my love of jumping, and I jump stuff on track that relate to expert level speeds/skills...although I am no expert myself (too slow in corners).

But I am SAFE, I wear all my gear, and I look over and seriously check out a new jump before doing it, sometimes I even let someone else do it first :)

I feel the same way- a little bit of common sense as you get older (I'm 32) seems to be the way to go. If I'm going to race, I want to push it. I just have to stay in my comfort zone and not be out of control.

• tp3dxf

Posted July 10, 2002 - 06:03 PM

Dude I'm 30 I have always been pretty much a slug, I have my moments, but still a slug. Funny thing is I always have a blast and knock on wood have never broken a bone. Tore some skin and brusied my pride but I live to ride another day! Like someone said before ride further not faster.

• PMAUST

Posted July 10, 2002 - 06:51 PM

Brian(NVR FNSH) is right. As long as I'm moving along at a good clip maybe even pushing a little I'm ok. But, if I ride too slowly I get a little complacent, a little too relaxed and thats when I tend to get hurt. Balance. You need just enough adrenaline(sp?) to keep you alert! :)

Brian, hope you make it up to Downieville this week-end. Maybe we can mix it up a little! :D

• KBD

Posted July 10, 2002 - 08:17 PM

This is a good post and I heard all these things at the track in my younger years too - I'm 45 and have been riding for 33 years. I shook it off - Hell I wanted to WIN. Got out of the WIN mode in my 20's but by my early 30's the WIN had returned - Really I just wanted to get to the top of the pile one more time so full effort. Put up the bigger dollars, bikes, training, practice, etc. but one RUT over a triple with me not paying attention and it all stopped. I'd never been really scared on a motorcycle but in that moment I knew I was going to DIE - and I'd been hit by a car on a bike before, so what does that tell you!!! Anyway at age 35 I found the ground hard and after never anything more serious than broken wrist, ankle or rib - IT HAPPENED - broke leg, ankle, talus, etc seven good breaks in all. One month in hospital, big dollars, divorce, couldn't walk for a year, financial mess and can you beleive it - I still ride after recovering now - 10 years later.

My son 13 was in his 1st MX race on July4th, WELL the kids are smarter than we are in some ways and worse in others. The level of just plain sand bag cheating is almost unbelievable to me and the track guys need money and let them get away with this crap. When I competed in the Loretta Lynns series they'd flag your ass over if you were lapping the field and said you were a beginner. Hell I'm not worried about the trophy but about the kids that get landed on at it happened right in front of me. Hpw about a push for some outdoor style tacks without any man made doubles or triples.

Yes we like trailing and are set to get to some dual sport but like us the kids want ot MX.

Darn good post though and remember the famous words...

Theres old riders and bold riders but no old bold riders.

• groundhog

Posted July 11, 2002 - 12:31 AM

I'll be 54 next week. Returned to the dirt after about 25 years off. Like the other old guys I have slowed down a bit, but still enjoy riding as much as ever. Have a YZ that I am making into a WR and just trail ride, no MX anymore. Anyone remember MXing 440 BSA Victors?

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted July 11, 2002 - 06:45 AM

Paul,
Saw the post about Downieville this weekend but I've got to pass. Got back from Germany on Monday and have way too much to do around the house before I can be out of town another weekend :)

Have fun & ride safe,

Brian

• willy_fitz

Posted July 12, 2002 - 05:01 PM

I have one more old saying for you:

The older I get the faster I was.

Willy Fitz

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.