Considering buying a 2000 YZ426F

11 replies to this topic
  • ljparton

Posted December 04, 2008 - 10:51 AM

Here's the deal.

I just sold my WR426F to get something lighter and more MX capable.

Also, my bike was stock sprung, im over 200 so it was way too soft for my big ass.

I also had the original cam so i had to use the decomp lever.(Really fun when you stall on a hill, right?)

I just found a 2000 YZ426F for sale, sprung for a 210 rider. Fresh top end, he did a new piston, rings, valves, etc. He also installed a Hot Cam Auto-decomp. So the starting problem will be solved.

All stock except a aftermarket top clamp, FMF Q, and a spare FMF Powercore.

My question is, with all the recent motor work and the decomp cam, is this the bike for me?

I ride trail that range from tight, twisted uphills to open fire roads and gravel beds.

I also like some track every now and then, which the WR didint seem to like.

We agreed on $1700.

How long will this bike last before it needs motor work again?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

-Logan

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Here's the deal.

I just sold my WR426F to get something lighter and more MX capable.

Also, my bike was stock sprung, im over 200 so it was way too soft for my big ass.

I also had the original cam so i had to use the decomp lever.(Really fun when you stall on a hill, right?)

I just found a 2000 YZ426F for sale, sprung for a 210 rider. Fresh top end, he did a new piston, rings, valves, etc. He also installed a Hot Cam Auto-decomp. So the starting problem will be solved.

All stock except a aftermarket top clamp, FMF Q, and a spare FMF Powercore.

My question is, with all the recent motor work and the decomp cam, is this the bike for me?

I ride trail that range from tight, twisted uphills to open fire roads and gravel beds.

I also like some track every now and then, which the WR didint seem to like.

We agreed on $1700.

How long will this bike last before it needs motor work again?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

-Logan

Well I weigh 250 and am 6' 4" and I ride a 01 426. I bought mine a year ago already resprung for my weight, with low hours for $2300 with top clamp, rad braces, bars, frame guards, and extra pipe and oversized tank. It is geared down 5 teeth and all i do is ride trails and fool around on the track. If the bike is clean and runs great I would say go for it. They are a bit tempermental when you try to lug them in first gear but a simple flyweight change will fix that. I ride single track so you can do it stock, just takes a bit of clutch work. For hills, it is a bad ass machine. They pull so hard that it is hard not to make it all the way up. And trust me, you will smoke all of your friends on wr 426's just from handling and power delivery stats. Not to mention how much easier it will be to throw around with less weight. If you keep up on service the bike will last forever. Mine has never been torn down for a rebuild, ever, and still has 12.5.1 comp, and is scary fast. They are almost bulletproof. Just change your oil every 5-6 hours seat time along with filter and it will go forever. Oh and for mx, it is still a very capable machine. They are not quite as fast as a new 450 but trust me, you will be able to trail them fairly close. I love mine and would never get rid of it.

• ljparton

Posted December 04, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Cool good stuff to know!

He also had a weight reduction kit installed, that got rid of the need to run the oil through the frame, and now you change the oil like any other bike. Supossedly dropped a few lbs.

Anybody know the info on this kit?

Pics of the bike:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 02WR426Cali

Posted December 04, 2008 - 12:24 PM

I hate to tell you this but the yz isn't much lighter than the wr. If your wr was stock than it will be a little heavier but most people don't leave them stock, like mine in my garage, it's a wr but looks more like a yz. But with the fresh top end and the suspension set more for your weight I'm sure the yz will be a good bike for you. For trails though the wr is setup better for that, especially with the heavier flywheel.

• NortonMoto

Posted December 04, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Save your money for a 06 yz450,I just sold my 2000 yz426 it was a very reliable and good bike, But the 06 yz450 I bought used for 2700.00 is so much better in handling, power etc.

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 04, 2008 - 12:39 PM

Well, I hate to rain on the parade now, but if the guy did the Doctor d wet sump conversion, this is not good. This means that the motor now is only running on less than a quart of oil, rather than a quart and a half like stock. Basically this can hurt engine reliability, because instead of changing oil every 6 hours it will need it every hour or so, and even then, I wouldnt trust it. That conversion would be not a good choice for anything other than all out factory racing, in terms of engine reliability. I would not get this, you can find a stock one with a decomp cam, in my opinion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ljparton

Posted December 04, 2008 - 12:55 PM

So no go with the Wet sump kit?

Damn, thought i'd found the one :thumbsup:

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 04, 2008 - 02:16 PM

nah no go. I would wait and keep looking on craigslist for a stocker with maybe the decomp cam or pipe for same price or cheaper. You will be alot happier with engine reliability in the long run.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted December 04, 2008 - 04:07 PM

I wouldn't run that wet sump kit either. More oil is better not less. I doubt you would ever notice the weight reduction anyway, just a wast of money. It looks like it's been ridden quite a bit. Check out the paint chipped off on the bottom of the frame, it might have some damage down there since there is no skidplate. I would keep looking, what part of Ca are you in? What county?

• ljparton

Posted December 04, 2008 - 05:04 PM

Im in sacramento.

I talked to the guy, he said it still holds 850ml of oil and he says its never been a problem.

I guess i'll keep looking though.

• triton5150

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:58 PM

i think my 03 wr450 is around 30lbs more than my yz426. i love the 426 so much dont think i could ever part with it. i think there is a couple of them on fresno craiglist.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:59 PM

http://sacramento.cr.../945587034.html

There is no pic on the ad, but here is one in Sac.
I would try to get an 02 if possible as they have the most up to date parts. They didn't change much from 00-02 but a little here and there always is good

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.