My New 2009 WR450F

36 replies to this topic
  • Beejay

Posted December 09, 2008 - 03:50 PM

That looks good, you got me checking my bank balances now.

• buggs bunny

Posted December 16, 2008 - 09:29 AM

go on the street and get into second gear and pin it,you can ride a power wheeli for about 15 feet without flipping over..

such a rush of power!

• Ka0sX

Posted December 16, 2008 - 04:09 PM

go on the street and get into second gear and pin it,you can ride a power wheeli for about 15 feet without flipping over..

such a rush of power!

Tru that lol its happened on the damn dirt aswell as the street its a great bike

iam just starting to get used to the yami its my first yami

• FASTCLIVE

Posted December 26, 2008 - 09:44 AM

I take delivery of my 09WR450F on monday 29/12/2008. I have always been a honda fan (03CRF450R ,04CRF450X, 06CRF450X) but Iam switching to Yamaha this time only because the new honda CBR1000RR road bike is so UGLY I dont want to be associated with Honda Any more and thats taking into account that 18 of my 35 bikes I have owned have been Honda my last 12 bikes have all been honda because they are such good bikes
I wiil let all you guys know what my opinion of the WR is

Just for old time sake --- where are thier Kawasaki & Susuki bikes in the market. The designers of those bike are people that have been fired from honda & yamaha for making shit bikes. "and I think they will have a new designer soon"

• SXP

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:46 PM

I take delivery of my 09WR450F on monday 29/12/2008. I have always been a honda fan (03CRF450R ,04CRF450X, 06CRF450X) but Iam switching to Yamaha this time only because the new honda CBR1000RR road bike is so UGLY I dont want to be associated with Honda Any more and thats taking into account that 18 of my 35 bikes I have owned have been Honda my last 12 bikes have all been honda because they are such good bikes
I wiil let all you guys know what my opinion of the WR is

Just for old time sake --- where are thier Kawasaki & Susuki bikes in the market. The designers of those bike are people that have been fired from honda & yamaha for making shit bikes. "and I think they will have a new designer soon"

Reserve judgement on the new ride unil you have uncorked it, and done all the free mods including jetting. Stock it's going to disapoint you.

• FASTCLIVE

Posted December 30, 2008 - 11:01 AM

as I was Told by SXP WHEN i GOT THE BIKE WHICH WAS TODAY.
I WAS DISAPOINTED.
FIRST BY THE DEALER THEY ONLY FITTED THE AFTER MARKET PIPE AND DID NONE OF THE OTHER MODS WHICH i PAID FOR. NONE THE LESS TO SAY I WANTED ALL THE EXTRA PARTS, NEEDLE, JETS MADE THEM GIVE ME 5 SIZES OF THE THREE JETS NEEDED.

WHEN I GOT HOME I TOOK THE BIKE FOR A RIDE AROUND THE BLOCK
SHIT WAS I DISAPOINTED
COMPAIRED TO MY CRF's THIS THOUGHT THIS BIKE WAS SHIT (NO POWER, SLOW BUILD UP TO POWER. DID NOT REV, AND IF I TOOK A HAND FULL OF THROTTLE IT FIRST DIED AND THEN SORT OF PULLED

INTO THE GUARGE ALL THE PLASTICS OF .AIS OFF, NEW NEEDLE, NEW JETS (WENT BACK TO STANDARD JETS THEY SEEM TO WORK GOOD WITH NEEDLE RIGHT ) CUT GRAY WIRE SET NEEDLE TWISE AND i HAVE A NEW BIKE.
i HAVE RACED ROAD RACING FOR MANY YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN SO FEW MODS MAKE SUCH A BIG DIFFERANCE
i AM TAKING THE BIKE OUT TOMORROW FOR A 200KM RIDE
WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted December 30, 2008 - 01:38 PM

damn. thats a great lookin bike. good luck :busted:

• nfoley

Posted December 30, 2008 - 09:33 PM

I am looking forward to hearing your comparison to the CRFX, as I am currently contemplating between the two!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sheas93

Posted December 30, 2008 - 10:05 PM

id have that over a race bike anyday

• FASTCLIVE

Posted January 01, 2009 - 02:26 AM

road for 2 hours on an MX track yesterday to break the bike and suspension in. 32km in total. first the suspention was way to soft bottomed out all the time (I weigh 85kg) so may be the bike is set up for a lighter rider when it comes from the factory. I made a few changes to the suspension and its better but still not right. the bike seems lighter and far more stable to pin through the whop (chicken run) sections, than my CRF X ever was. Over all the bikes balance seems much better than the CRF X. As for engine performance I cant tell yet, lets wait till I have run the engine in properly. and have done a few out rides on my regular routs

• golddog

Posted January 01, 2009 - 08:06 PM

read alot of posts on the mods to the wr450f but have not mentioned if the mods decrease engine life.....so do the mods do that?

• Demo_Slug

Posted January 01, 2009 - 11:38 PM

read alot of posts on the mods to the wr450f but have not mentioned if the mods decrease engine life.....so do the mods do that?

no. :thinking: , depends. the mods are actually designed into the bike by yamaha. they want you to be able to do the mods. they even sell the mods in a kit for you or the dealer to install. worst case.... think of it as comparable to a YZ.

• YamaLink

Posted January 02, 2009 - 09:05 AM

None that I've seen. My friend with a constantly dirty air filter does more "damage" to his totally stock WRF and its engine than my other buddies who have done all the mods but stay current on maintenance. It's all good!

• golddog

Posted January 03, 2009 - 10:06 AM

thanks, got my first 4 stroke 2009 wr450 and ttr230 for the wife. Unfortunatley it snowed a couple of feet the next day and is still here.Looking forward to the melt so we can break in the new machines.

• FASTCLIVE

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:32 AM

riden bike 2 times now 30km on MX track to break suspention in and find a better set up (standard setting way to soft, bottoms out all the time)
bike was ok but I was still not to impressed,
130km out ride (rock's, hill clime's, dunes, whops, fast flat sections, narrow tree sections) a realy complete ride covering a lot of differant terain, at first bike was ok but by the end the bike was going great the extra km made a big differace to power and suspention.
biggest differance for the day was riding an 05 WR450 and an 06 CRF450X and then Geting back onto my 09 WR450F . day and night compairing the 3 the 05 WR & 06 GRF sucks BIG BIG dog balls.

and after the rides I can now say I am very pleased with my new bike it did everything i wanted and is pleasure to ride

good by CRF450X History. hello WR450F future

• trailhead2004

Posted January 08, 2009 - 12:53 PM

riden bike 2 times now 30km on MX track to break suspention in and find a better set up (standard setting way to soft, bottoms out all the time)
bike was ok but I was still not to impressed,
130km out ride (rock's, hill clime's, dunes, whops, fast flat sections, narrow tree sections) a realy complete ride covering a lot of differant terain, at first bike was ok but by the end the bike was going great the extra km made a big differace to power and suspention.
biggest differance for the day was riding an 05 WR450 and an 06 CRF450X and then Geting back onto my 09 WR450F . day and night compairing the 3 the 05 WR & 06 GRF sucks BIG BIG dog balls.

and after the rides I can now say I am very pleased with my new bike it did everything i wanted and is pleasure to ride

good by CRF450X History. hello WR450F future

You should probably bump up the spring rates on both the front and back. Can't say for sure whether USA and So Africa bikes are sprung the same but let's assume they are.

I bought the first step up in spring rates for my bike when I bought it and I feel like it's still just a little soft. BTW, I weigh close enough to your weight that it's probably a good comparison. My riding is typically enduro type stuff, lots of trails and singletrack. Skill level wise, I'm probably a fair intermediate rider at this point. I went from 4.5 N/mm to 4.6 N/mm on the front and 54 N/mm to 56 N/mm on the rear.

Yamaha makes a 58 and 60 N/mm spring for the rear but it appears that the 4.6 is the stiffest they go for the front. Other companies have springs available too.

Just an FYI, HTH! :thinking:

Trailhead

• atitagain

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:36 PM

Congrats on the new bike...I remember when my 07' looked like that!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.