yz400f lowering link?

8 replies to this topic
  • klxnewguy

Posted December 03, 2008 - 09:56 PM

My brother has a 99 YZ400F and he's looking to lower it a bit. Does anyone make a lowering link for a bike that old? I checked out Yamalink and they only go back to 02 from what I can see on the website. If no links, is there another way to lower the bike a few inches without having to cut the frame and do all that jazz? Thanks for any and all help!:thumbsup:

• sdunshee

Posted December 05, 2008 - 08:22 AM

Try yamahaloweringlink.com. Didn't see one for the 400 but call them as they might have a lead on something that would work. Good luck.

• klxnewguy

Posted December 06, 2008 - 10:46 AM

Sounds like that might be the way to go. I just didn't want to have to cut the frame or do anything crazy like that. Thanks.

• 642MX

Posted December 06, 2008 - 03:26 PM

My brother has a 99 YZ400F and he's looking to lower it a bit. Does anyone make a lowering link for a bike that old? I checked out Yamalink and they only go back to 02 from what I can see on the website. If no links, is there another way to lower the bike a few inches without having to cut the frame and do all that jazz? Thanks for any and all help!:thumbsup:

Here ya go. I've bought a link for my wifes bike from these guys... http://www.mountainm...ering-link.aspx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Deathdeelr

Posted December 06, 2008 - 09:58 PM

I'm not a really short guy at 5'9" with a 30" inseam and I was able to turn down the spring ('99 YZ400F) on the stock shock the three inches I needed to throw my leg over and be able to kick start it comfortably. The spring retainer and lock ring was about half way up the body stock. Now it's about an inch from the top of the threads. Is there any reason why that's a bad idea?

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 07, 2008 - 03:45 PM

I'm not a really short guy at 5'9" with a 30" inseam and I was able to turn down the spring ('99 YZ400F) on the stock shock the three inches I needed to throw my leg over and be able to kick start it comfortably. The spring retainer and lock ring was about half way up the body stock. Now it's about an inch from the top of the threads. Is there any reason why that's a bad idea?

Effects sag and handling performance. Also could make the bike do scary things in whoops, and jumps.

• Deathdeelr

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:08 PM

OOO, I clicked on the sag link and I have discovered technical articles. Good reading and I guess I'm buying a new spring for my 240 pound fat a$$ and some KISS signature riser boots (or a step stool).

• DMC707

Posted December 11, 2008 - 08:40 AM

OOO, I clicked on the sag link and I have discovered technical articles. Good reading and I guess I'm buying a new spring for my 240 pound fat a$$ and some KISS signature riser boots (or a step stool).

Some Paul Stanley boots would look kickass ----- but anyway -- ni also have to use a milkcrate or something to start mine, especially when its cold -- anyone under 5'10" has been there

• Deathdeelr

Posted December 11, 2008 - 09:54 PM

According to the article on sag and dampening, even some pro riders can't touch the ground with more than a tip toe?! This is going to take some getting used to.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.