Hardest Bike to work on!

18 replies to this topic
  • ranger85

Posted December 03, 2008 - 05:23 PM

I've had a lot of machines in my lifetime and this has got to be the hardest carb to get to out of any of them.:bonk: I can't believe all the crap in the way. A lot of people on here say to remove the entire carb and disconnect everything to install jets. After lifting up the subframe of the bike and removing the rear shock, I found that you can leave the throttle cables in place and hot start and just pull the carb out of the intake boot and work your magic. I started to remove those pesky throttle cables, but after lots of cussing I said to hell with that. It's actually really simple now that I've calmed down and had a couple of beers.:bonk: Now if my AIS removal kit will just get here! You still can't beat the nice FI like on my raptor where all you do is plug up a laptop and change your jetting. I was actually going to wait till next year for yamaha to go FI on their dirtbikes, or get a honda, but I got such a good deal on this thing I coudn't pass it up, even with with it being a PITA to get to the carb! :bonk:

Well this post wasn't much, but I just had to vent my frustrations somewhere because my wife doesn't seem to get it! LOL

Oh and I also removed the top engine mounts so I could access the top of the carb, which is so simple it's pathetic!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 03, 2008 - 05:42 PM

its a pain...my dad laughs at me cuz his 06 we can have the carb out in 2:bonk:

• sausage boy

Posted December 03, 2008 - 05:45 PM

I've had a lot of machines in my lifetime and this has got to be the hardest carb to get to out of any of them.:thumbsup: I can't believe all the crap in the way. A lot of people on here say to remove the entire carb and disconnect everything to install jets. After lifting up the subframe of the bike and removing the rear shock, I found that you can leave the throttle cables in place and hot start and just pull the carb out of the intake boot and work your magic. I started to remove those pesky throttle cables, but after lots of cussing I said to hell with that. It's actually really simple now that I've calmed down and had a couple of beers.:busted: Now if my AIS removal kit will just get here! You still can't beat the nice FI like on my raptor where all you do is plug up a laptop and change your jetting. I was actually going to wait till next year for yamaha to go FI on their dirtbikes, or get a honda, but I got such a good deal on this thing I coudn't pass it up, even with with it being a PITA to get to the carb! :busted:

Well this post wasn't much, but I just had to vent my frustrations somewhere because my wife doesn't seem to get it! LOL

Oh and I also removed the top engine mounts so I could access the top of the carb, which is so simple it's pathetic!

i'm feeling your pain, i'm going to do mine this saturday after not getting it right last saturday. :smirk: :usa: :busted:

• tribalbc

Posted December 03, 2008 - 06:24 PM

It's brutal for a while and then you figure out a system. Main and pilot I just do in place with a mirror and short screwdriver, socket.
The needle just remove the motor mounts and you can get at her.

• sausage boy

Posted December 04, 2008 - 05:22 AM

It's brutal for a while and then you figure out a system. Main and pilot I just do in place with a mirror and short screwdriver, socket.
The needle just remove the motor mounts and you can get at her.

you must have small hands? i'v tried to do that, my hands are way to big!

• beezer

Posted December 04, 2008 - 06:58 AM

I leave the motor mounts in and fish the needle out with a hemostat.

The bike is hard to work on but you shouldn't have to do to much as a Yamaha is pretty reliable.

• desdave

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:44 AM

Even if Yamaha goes to FI next year, don't expect it on the WRs until sometime after the '10 models. The honda 450x is still carb this year, and none of the 250fs are FI at this time. A well dialed in carb works just as well, adn the FI adds no power, torque etc. There is a lot to be said for having spot on fuel air mixture all the time, but the mx bikes have lost fuel capacity due to space taken up by the pump in tank.

• Mosow

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Just remove the seat, tank, rear fender, mud flap and air box, cables and its out, for a needle change. For a main jet just lossen it up and twist it. I can do a needle in a few minutes. You will figure it out. Good luck.

• ranger85

Posted December 04, 2008 - 01:25 PM

Even if Yamaha goes to FI next year, don't expect it on the WRs until sometime after the '10 models. The honda 450x is still carb this year, and none of the 250fs are FI at this time. A well dialed in carb works just as well, adn the FI adds no power, torque etc. There is a lot to be said for having spot on fuel air mixture all the time, but the mx bikes have lost fuel capacity due to space taken up by the pump in tank.

Good point, don't get me wrong I don't mind the carb really, been messing with um for years, that FI is nice though. :thumbsup:

Just remove the seat, tank, rear fender, mud flap and air box, cables and its out, for a needle change. For a main jet just lossen it up and twist it. I can do a needle in a few minutes. You will figure it out. Good luck.

What year is your bike? For the main, and pilot, I can't get the carb to twist enough on either side, theres way to much crap in the way, not to mention the frame, lol.

Those top motor mounts come off really easy and make the needle change no problem at all, I found you can leave everything in place and just take off those motor mounts.

Now for the main and pilot I removed everything like you said plus the rear shock, except I left the throtte cables and hot start cable connected and just cut the plastic zip-ty's to have more slack in the cables. I just loosened up the engine side intake boot and pulled the carb out allowing me to easily access the bottom of the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Deserthound

Posted December 04, 2008 - 02:43 PM

It's way easier to change the main and pilot than that. Just remove the 17 mm plug in the bottom of the float bowl and you can change both of them in five minutes. I use a Motion Pro jetting tool to make it easier. The one thing thats a little tricky is getting the pilot back in. I found laying the bike on its side makes it easier to get it back in.

• ranger85

Posted December 04, 2008 - 06:18 PM

It's way easier to change the main and pilot than that. Just remove the 17 mm plug in the bottom of the float bowl and you can change both of them in five minutes. I use a Motion Pro jetting tool to make it easier. The one thing thats a little tricky is getting the pilot back in. I found laying the bike on its side makes it easier to get it back in.

Great ideas, what tool specifically works the best? I see Motion Pro has a few different carb tools.

Thanks.

• zuch95701

Posted December 04, 2008 - 06:21 PM

I can change all the jets and the needle in my carb on my 250f with out removing it
just take the tank off pull the hot start cable and i can move it both ways by loosining the clamps

its realy simple and to remove it you just pull the boots and throtle cables and pull the car out the right side.

• zuch95701

Posted December 04, 2008 - 06:23 PM

Great ideas, what tool specifically works the best? I see Motion Pro has a few different carb tools.

Thanks.

A 17mm wrench works great to take the bowl plug off. as for the main get yourself a 6mm socket and driver.

as for the pilot jet i took a small flat head and growned it down to fit in the tube its realy simple.

• Deserthound

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:02 PM

Thanks.

http://www.motionpro.../fcr_carb_tool/

It's nothing more than a 6mm socket with a wide round base. The rest is a short screw driver that fits in the 6mm socket for the pilot. My only issue is that the rubber grip around the socket slips so I started using a 6mm socket and ratchet.

• beezer

Posted December 05, 2008 - 05:22 AM

A mirror underneath the carb really helps.

I took a cheap little screw driver and twisted the flats a little so it holds the pilot jet. It's actually pretty easy to do.

• stev0

Posted December 09, 2008 - 02:38 PM

nah, i cant figure how to get the cables loose... checked the manual.. but still nothing.. I need to dump my AIS too...

• JDLowrance

Posted December 11, 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hey ranger85,

You said you got such a good deal on it...where did you buy and how much did you pay? I'm looking at picking up a WR but the dealers here is So Cal aren't really dealling yet.

Any help would be appretiated.

Thanks, John

• ranger85

Posted December 12, 2008 - 08:11 AM

Hey ranger85,

You said you got such a good deal on it...where did you buy and how much did you pay? I'm looking at picking up a WR but the dealers here is So Cal aren't really dealling yet.

Any help would be appretiated.

Thanks, John

$5199 from Kanab Country Auto and Yamaha in southern Utah. Brand new 2007. They have an '08 still in the crate that I'm sure they'd make you a deal on!

St. George Yamaha just had a sell and they were advertising the '08 YZF450 for like $4999.

• JDLowrance

Posted December 12, 2008 - 12:33 PM

Thanks ranger. Just contacted them and they want $6499 OTD (that doesn'tnclude shipping to So Cal). I can get an 08 out here in So Cal for $6599 OTD including an FMF Pipe.

With the economy in the shape it's in it's just a matter of time before they start blowing them out...I hope.

John

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.