Stator Mod - floating ground?

9 replies to this topic
  • 05-WR450F

Posted December 03, 2008 - 04:04 AM

I will be dual-sporting my 05-WR450 this winter. Will be building the harness myself. I am going to do the stator mod as my province requires my lights to run off the battery.

My question is; does doing the stator mod effect the stock wiring for the ignition and electric start? I assume the electric start will be fine since it already runs off DC but what about ignition?

I am going to check the wiring diagram but I just want some feedback from guys who have already done this. :bonk:

Just to clarify - is the stator mod floating the ground? Baja Designs does not refer to it in their instructions.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 03, 2008 - 07:56 AM

IMy question is; does doing the stator mod effect the stock wiring for the ignition and electric start?

Your assumption is correct...however when you do the mod you will need an aftermarket regulator/rectifier as the stator will put out more than the stock unit can handle.

Just to clarify - is the stator mod floating the ground? Baja Designs does not refer to it in their instructions.

Yup! I know your not in the States but call Baja Designs they can answer all your questions.

• William1

Posted December 03, 2008 - 07:58 AM

The BD setup joins the two power generating coils together. You would loose the AC side of power, meaning the stock headlight will not work as wired stock. Bike will run (ignition on a WR is powered on the DC side), battery will be charged. Stock regulator will have to be replaced with a higher capacity one.

• 05-WR450F

Posted December 03, 2008 - 08:10 AM

Thanks guys.

I am going to buy a BD regulator/rectifier and mod the stator as per their instructions. Just wanted to confirm that after doing that the bike's wiring for e-start and ignition can remain stock.

I would like to purchase the BD kit but I can't justify that much money (after shipping and exchange).

• William1

Posted December 03, 2008 - 09:12 AM

When you mod the stator, take your time. Be very careful. Read the instructions 11 times.

When I did mine, I used masking tape to cover the entire stator except at the clip. Very, very carefully cut with a dremel and a cutoff wheel. Make sure you get the entire clip. Leave no cuttings behind. Be gentle withe the stator wires. You can bend them only so many times till they weaken or break. Be sure to remove the enamel from the stator wires before soldering. I did not crimp the splice connector, I simply filled with solder, less stressful to the wire. Do not forget the insulating sleeve. Think, take your time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 03, 2008 - 09:12 AM

I would like to purchase the BD kit but I can't justify that much money

on the wr its really not need as most of the wiring is there...

• glentron

Posted December 03, 2008 - 10:58 PM

I floated my ground on the 99 and it was nothing but trouble. The dakar kit required this mod, but I gave up on that kit. I changed it back to the stock set up and installed the Baja Design kit and it's awesome now. BD only requires you to plug the system into one positive yellow wire and a ground wire and your done. I wouldn't do this unless you absolutely have too for a differnt kit. I would stick with BD because they have great support and knowledge with these kits and they are solid company and great kits in my opinion.

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 04, 2008 - 07:01 AM

I changed it back to the stock set up and installed the Baja Design kit and it's awesome now. BD only requires you to plug the system into one positive yellow wire and a ground wire and your done.

Unfortunately while that will work with the 400/426's it will not work on the 450's. Different magneto setup. In California only the tail light has to run on the battery so I was able to keep everything stock (i.e. - headlight on the AC magneto) and just add the turn signals, horn, tail light and brake light to the DC circuit. If you have to have the headlight run off the battery you have no choice but to mod the stator. One thing to note on the WR450 you must have 12 volts DC to run the bike. If you're gonna mod the stator do a good job because if it fails you're walking.

• glentron

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:07 PM

That good info guys. Some day I will have the new 450 and I'll get to refer to this post again. Have a good time riding.

• KennyMc

Posted December 05, 2008 - 11:30 AM

That good info guys. Some day I will have the new 450 and I'll get to refer to this post again. Have a good time riding.

BD does the mod for you for $30. Send them the stator and they turn it around the next day. As PBDBLUE says, do a bad job and you are walking.

Now, that being said, when it comes to putting the stator back in, do a bad job and your walking (well, in my case, getting towed).:smirk: Better make sure you tuck those wires back in behind the bracket in there.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.