Home made fork guards

8 replies to this topic
  • needsprayer

Posted January 24, 2003 - 09:29 AM

I made fork guards out of the following materials:

1) 3" I.D. Black, ABS, Schedule 40 pipe
2) 3/8" thick, 3/4" wide, flat aluminum stock, approximatley 6" long.
3) Rubber bushings
4) Stainless steel bolts, washers and aircraft grade nuts (plastic centers)

The ABS Schedule 40 can be shaped without worry of cracking the plastic. I used scrowl and jig saws, a bench grinder and a drill press.

Attached the metal stock to the top triple clamp bolts. Then attached the shaped ABS Schedule 40 guards to the metal bracket.

Final fitting was a minor twist of the aluminum to get the fork guard centered over the fork.

Everything is sturdy enough to retain its position. However if it moves over time I will tie the guard to the front fender so it is secured on two sides. The guards sit out far enough from the forks so that they to not interfere with the brake and speedo lines.

Total cost: $8

IMHO, looks good (especially with some stickers) and is very functional.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted January 26, 2003 - 09:55 PM

Got any pics?

• needsprayer

Posted January 27, 2003 - 04:25 AM

I'll try and borrow a digital camera this week.

I went ahead and tied the braces to the front fender this weekend.

I did something fun this weekend with the kids. I hung up a couple of blacklights in the shop (no windows). We washed two wornout OEM tires (front & rear) and painted the knob faces with 6 different florescent paints. Then we suspended them parallel to the ceiling. Now I have a knobby tire blacklight decoration. :)

• Rokatt88

Posted January 27, 2003 - 06:19 AM

Oh WOW, Man! :D Does that bring back some memories..."Break On Through To The Other Side, Yeah!" :D Now, just sprinkle on a little strobe light and you're Phsycodelic! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FooBarr

Posted January 27, 2003 - 08:27 PM

I went even cheaper on my fork guards! Bought one of those plastic sleeves for a 4' florecent light. Trimmed it length ways with my tin snips, and now have see-through fork guards. I'm in the service and my vehicle sticker is on the lower fork tube. This way the gate guard can see it and just waive me in versus getting stopped and pistol-whipped. :)

• qadsan

Posted January 28, 2003 - 06:22 AM

Bought one of those plastic sleeves for a 4' florecent light...

That's what I've always done for my CA off road license (green sticker). They work great!

• Rokatt88

Posted January 28, 2003 - 06:53 AM

Yes They do! I use that trick for all my bike's Big Brother Tree Hugger Syphon Bend Over the OHV'ers Green Stickie Fund. Works good and is oh so stylish. I make a sandwich so that the sticker is not stuck to the fork leg. This way, if you are going to have your forks worked on you won't have to mangle your BBTHSBO Green Stickie like ThumpDaddy 650! :)

• needsprayer

Posted February 10, 2003 - 05:49 PM

Fork Guard pictures link:

http://needsprayer.freeservers.com/

• AzMtnThumper

Posted February 10, 2003 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice job on the guards.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.