What's proper tire pressure?

9 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 05, 2002 - 03:50 PM

For riding in the dirt, in the rocks, for the most challenging nasty stuff? :) :D :D

• huskyrider

Posted July 05, 2002 - 06:10 PM

Tire pressure is really a rider preference thing. less = more and more = less.
I've found I get a much better bite at low pressure and more wheelspin at high pressure.
Your flat resistance goes down as the tire pressure does.
Try 10 to 12 for dirt without many rocks and 15 to 17 for hard terrain with rocks. I've found no reward by going any higher or lower than these but some other riders may feel differently.
You really can feel the differences!

• PMAUST

Posted July 05, 2002 - 06:28 PM

I agree with huskyrider. Even in rocky stuff I like to keep the pressure as low as possible without getting a pinch flat or dinging the rims. Also, its a good idea to use heavy duty tubes and slime or something like that.

• DR.Zaius

Posted July 05, 2002 - 06:53 PM

Mousse Bibs! No pressure....hehe. :)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted July 06, 2002 - 09:33 PM

Hmmmm Lets See....Mousse Bibs at about $140-160 bucks each ..Good for about 6 months, equivalent to 13 lbs of pressure. Less lifespan if Raced.....Or the heavy duty tubes like I've been racing on for 2 years and many many tire changes, at about $12.00 each.

I've still got 4 (sets) of tubes I bought with the bike that have never been opened yet.

I agree with Husky dude, except I would stop at 16 lbs without softening up the rebound on the clickers....17 lbs at a mid setting is like riding a pogo stick....

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 06, 2002 - 12:03 PM

Or Tech tube solid rubber inserts about $100 each tire and $40 each to install that have lasted me 8 years and 9,000 miles later of mostly the hardest rock ugliest riding possible.
Well worth the money, etc. Tee hee :) :D :D :D :D

• oldasdirt

Posted July 06, 2002 - 01:02 PM

Mike C will they do a melt down if I have to ride 40miles on pavement. Actually had that happen back when bibmousse were new. talk about one very pi$$ed off rider. Was actually giving Honda Fits at Baja that year on a KX 500. When the tires just down right discentagrated. Sure would be nice if they had something that could hold up and not melt.oldasdirt :) :D :D

• YZ400Court

Posted July 07, 2002 - 10:00 AM

Every tire is different. I love the Dunlop 739 AT desert tire at 10 to 12 psi. The Pirelli MT-18 also worked great in that range. Above 14 and I find them way to slippery. The Bridgestone ED-78 was sooo slippery below 15, then I went up to 17. It was a totally different tire. You have to experiment to find waht works for you, the terrain and the tire.

BTW at 300lbs, I have never had a pinch flat runnung 12 psi.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 08, 2002 - 06:53 PM

Originally posted by YAMAKAZE:
Hmmmm Lets See....Mousse Bibs at about $140-160 bucks each ..Good for about 6 months, equivalent to 13 lbs of pressure. Less lifespan if Raced.....Or the heavy duty tubes like I've been racing on for 2 years and many many tire changes, at about $12.00 each.

Im with you Kaze!! Forget the price and inconvience of the bibs. Dr.Z, If you can put those things on, you are the Man!!! Im mean, You beat out Malcom Smith in "On any Sunday" as being the bigger hero!!!

Oh, To answer your question, I run 13psi all around with those crazy "Bridgestone Extra HD" tubes. For MX I'de run lower as flats arnt as common.

Dan :)

• WR_Jason

Posted July 10, 2002 - 12:13 PM

Just watch your tire weights if you do alot of high speed or rode travele. Heavy tubes, liquid in the tubes, or inserts are unsuspended rotating mass that will oppose stearing input. Slime can gel up and cause the wheel to be badly out of balance at high speed.
I cant belive YZ400 said he liked the 739! the only way those tires were managable was when they were almost flat! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.