- - - - -

honda CRF250R Hard to Start

20 replies to this topic
  • oakley37

TT Member

69 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 04:14 PM

our 2008 CRF250R is very hard to start when Warm or Hot
and is even pretty tricky to start cold!!!

Valves are adjusted to within .001 and double checked

Idlies Great, which is surprising.....

no Bog off the bottom

slow jet out 1 & 3/4 or 2 1/4 either is the same, running

Qstion would a Quick Shot 2 help with starting or only bog???

any other Idea's Please reply...............................

Start with choke on and one l twist of the throttle and then about 6 kicks
if your very lucky

starting hot without falling over just stoppinnd shutting the bike off
is almost impossible...........

oakley37

• agermaney

TT Bronze Member

255 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Has this just started happening since valve adjustment or has it always been difficult to start?

Sounds initially like a carb idle circuit clean is required.

Andy.

• duecebigalow

TT Bronze Member

190 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 12:52 AM

Some 2008's are just beasts to start, if you do a bit of a search on here you'll find some advice on how to make it better, seems like the auto decomp mod is the thing to try.

• MMotohead

TT Platinum Member

1,876 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 05:17 PM

Hold the throttle cracked barely open when you kick it.

• pncstod

TT Bronze Member

164 posts

Posted December 05, 2008 - 02:27 AM

Try three twists of the throttle with choke on. My 05 starts 1-2 kicks.

• thecount

TT Bronze Member

427 posts

Posted December 05, 2008 - 08:12 PM

my 08 went through 2 sets of intake valves already.finally got sick of it and decided to send my head to ron hamp.will have it back on teusday hopefully i went with ron's valve and spring kit.now i know they will last and the head is better then honda.

• alexdog2

TT Bronze Member

143 posts

Posted December 06, 2008 - 05:55 AM

2-3 throttle twists when cold. crack it when warm. check to see if your fuel is flowing correctly

• honda588

TT Bronze Member

185 posts

Posted December 06, 2008 - 03:53 PM

In cold weather put a heat gun up to for 5 mins before you start it and it starts up with one kick. I tried it and it really works.

• alexdog2

TT Bronze Member

143 posts

Posted December 06, 2008 - 05:32 PM

In cold weather put a heat gun up to for 5 mins before you start it and it starts up with one kick. I tried it and it really works.

lmfao i can picture someone using a blow dryer on their bike at the track:lol:

• RaceMX84

TT Gold Member

1,324 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 05:56 AM

lmfao i can picture someone using a blow dryer on their bike at the track:lol:

When its 30 degrees out you have to sometimes. Believe me if you have a blow dryer or a space heater (anyone to create heat) you will have more than one person come over and and use it to try and get their bike started

• motomc65

TT Newbie

15 posts

Posted May 06, 2009 - 01:15 PM

I have an 08 CRF250 with R&D Powerbowl, and even with this I have a lot of trouble with cold starting. Hot starting is no problem at all, usually 1 to 2 kicks, no issues.

The cold starting though is a big problem. I am going to try the 3 twists with choke to see if that works, and I don't really want to attemp mods to the auto decompression. I will sell the bike before I do that.

The Powerbowl did not seem to help cold starting, but it did make a huge difference with the way the bike runs and responds. I was hoping for help with cold starting though as well!

Anyway, please let me know if you get anywhere on this one...

• MCEWEN

TT Bronze Member

154 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 12:22 PM

:thumbsup: take a look at this website!

http://www.crfsonly....pic.php?t=21535

• FaintReality

TT Bronze Member

107 posts

Posted March 03, 2010 - 08:13 PM

I thought I had fixed the problem with the decomp mod but this past Monday at the track the bike would not start. Had to push start it twice, and the other times I just had to kick and kick and kick...

I have tried everything with this bike (checked valves, did the de-comp mod, jetting, no gas, gas, hot-start, etc.). I give up... I am about to sell the bike and only have 6 hrs on it : (

• Auschris

TT Member

66 posts

Posted March 04, 2010 - 03:56 AM

I HAVE A SOLUTION

OK after messing around with this last weekend, after a few hours of trying to start it i nearly gave up and was about to light the basturd and make an insurance claim before i can across this

this works hot and cold, hold in the hot start lever ( above clutch if your not sure) and give it a bit of throttle when your kicking it, it lets more fuel and air in so it will create a bigger bang which = easier and more chance of starting it.

Well thats my theory, get back to me on how ya go

• FaintReality

TT Bronze Member

107 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 07:18 PM

I HAVE A SOLUTION

OK after messing around with this last weekend, after a few hours of trying to start it i nearly gave up and was about to light the basturd and make an insurance claim before i can across this

this works hot and cold, hold in the hot start lever ( above clutch if your not sure) and give it a bit of throttle when your kicking it, it lets more fuel and air in so it will create a bigger bang which = easier and more chance of starting it.

Well thats my theory, get back to me on how ya go

I have found this to work better as well, but still a minimum of like 10 kicks if I am lucky :thumbsup:

• sickwake

TT Newbie

7 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 04:21 PM

Okay So I have an 08 crf250r and Had the spark replace and carb properly cleaned out and it ran well right after that. I let it sit for one month. Today I tried starting the bike and no go. I had it running for a couple seconds without the choke but everytime i tried to start the bike with the choke on it didnt want to start at all. Is there a problem with my choke? the temperature outside is 25 Celcius.

The bike is a bit dirty from my previous ride from last month I dont have a hose nearby. however I dont think that should have done anything to prevent it from starting again the carb is fully cleaned out I only rode it once after.

I will attempt a couple other techniques to kickstart the bike. I dont have any hills to crash start it. All help appreciated.

• Krazy98Z28

TT Bronze Member

145 posts

Posted July 19, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Here's my starting method

Cold = choke on, twist throttle 5 times, starts on 1-2 kicks

hot = pull hot start, find TDC then 1 kick with a slight throttle, if it doesnt start after 1 kick i hold throttle wide open with hot start and kick repeatedly until it fires, if it dont fire, then I just wait a couple minutes and repeat the process.

• crf250r2008AUS

TT Newbie

1 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:18 PM

hot = pull hot start, find TDC then 1 kick with a slight throttle, if it doesnt start after 1 kick i hold throttle wide open with hot start and kick repeatedly until it fires, if it dont fire, then I just wait a couple minutes and repeat the process.

I have done the decompression mod and it starts awesome using this method. Before it was a beast to start and if you dropped it you could forget about starting quickly. follow this procedure and you won't have any problems.

• jacobworldCRF

TT Member

28 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for this.
I have 08 and today tried your starting routine and works like a charm.
You save my bike from flying into the river. Lol

• Rob Reffner

TT Member

46 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Read through this thread after having issues with my 09 crf250. Valves In spec...Once running, mine ran great it seemed...idled well, revved right up, good power. Turns out the stator was giving intermittent spark and compression was super low even though it felt ok when kick starting. Took to the shop and had new piston and rings and stator put in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Crf250r transmition and clutch oil problems by TeamRed

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

CRF 250R 2012 THE ULTIMATE TOUGH TEST by dirty897

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

2010 / 11 Big end and leaky fuel injection problem by bikeboy32

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Bike review of my 2015 CRF250R by Justwant2ride

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

Crf250r lost compression by Hondalife378

• 16 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.